Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times

Advertisements

I've heard great things about the gentle leader, but I've never personally used it.

As far as choke chains and prong collars... as long as they're used correctly they can be very effective teaching tools. If misused, either can be very dangerous for a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:56 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Thats how I feel..........If I wouldn't put it on myself or my child......it is not going on my beloved dog. I almost cried when I saw how they worked, on a friends dog. One trainer was so, so, cruel with this collar on a meek and mild dog.......it was so upsetting.......we walked out and left the class.
Being cruel to a dog, dragging it around, and putting these on...don't think so.
Love and kindness works the best.....
Understandable. E-collars are not for every dog, they are last possible way out for certain dogs. I am all for positive training, and this is the way it should be. My only reason to use e-collar on my shepherd because he was in protection training, he is very high energy, bully type, working to death dog. I wasn't able to control him with treats and yums while he was in his prey drive. I had an excellent trainer(s) to help me out with him, e-collar was introduced, slowly but surely, he learned how to pay attention while doing his "work" on the field. It's been about 3 years ago. I stopped using e-collar probably short after he's training was complete. I've never had to put this thing back on again. He learned, e-collar wasn't used as a punishment, but as guidance and motivational tool. There is difference in techniques and trainers for that matter. These collars are not to be used as punishment, but not everyone knows it. Bad reps come from undeducated and "wanna-be" trainers.
Just my 2c

Old 08-10-2008, 07:29 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Good info on the prong collars. I'm thinking about getting one for my small dog.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
If you can afford it, about $500, BarkBusters is a very effective training method. Based on dog psychology, it uses you as pack leader to correct the dog. The trainer came to my house for 2.5 hrs and has been in contact by phone. She will come back for follow-up visits.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I do not believe in those prong collars...just train your dog to leash walk..takes a whole 5 minutes and keep up with the training! My 65 lb Am Staff was taught in 5 minutes by a good trainer....3 years later I took her out for a walk and she picked up on it in 5 minutes! Those collars are for dog whose owners do not want to spend the right time with their pets for training them. It is also a status symbol for the bad people who own certain dogs to put them on their dog! All my dogs leash walk beautifully!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
..takes a whole 5 minutes
Yeah, I think you're full of it for the most part. Some breeds pick up on things quicker than others.

Quote:
Those collars are for dog whose owners do not want to spend the right time with their pets for training them.
That's quite possible.

Quote:
It is also a status symbol for the bad people who own certain dogs to put them on their dog!
Oh come on, I've seen small breeds with prong collars on.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedSOUL83 View Post
2 days after purchasing and using these two things, both of her major problems have almost totally disappeared and she walks around with a smile all day long.
Well,....no. YOUR problems are solved. Her problems are still there. All you have to do is not use the prong collar and you're back to square one.

It is actually SO much fun to go through training with a dog and it's unfortunate that more owners don't take the time to teach their dogs the behaviors that are desirable and those that aren't. Too many use the 'quick' solution of negative reinforcement mechanisms, such as prong collars, when some training classes could solve the problem permanently.

You just might want to consider enrolling in a positive-reinforcement obedience training class instead of resorting to the prong collar. It'd be fun for both of you!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Mike, Any dog can be trained....it is the owners who cannot! This is why people turn dogs into shelters.....they claim the dog is a problem....when it is the owner. I saw one guy walk a beautiful male shepard into the pound to turn him in...he told me the dog was untrainable......when actually it was him and I told him so!
As to some dogs are different than others with training....not leash training...all dogs can be leash trained by this method my dog was trained by. It is up to the owner to follow thru with it!
I have never seen a prong collar on a small dog....the owner must be nuts to do that! That is outright animal abuse in my eyes!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Mike, Any dog can be trained....it is the owners who cannot!
I agree with that for the most part.

Quote:
I saw one guy walk a beautiful male shepard into the pound to turn him in...he told me the dog was untrainable......when actually it was him and I told him so!
I'm sure you put him in his place.

Quote:
As to some dogs are different than others with training....not leash training...all dogs can be leash trained by this method my dog was trained by. It is up to the owner to follow thru with it!
Well...go on...tell us about this be-all, end-all method.

Quote:
I have never seen a prong collar on a small dog....the owner must be nuts to do that! That is outright animal abuse in my eyes!
Didn't Koehler use something similar?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
You know I did not know that about the collar. ANyone know how to properly put a lead collar on?
If you are talking about a chain choker you put the ring thru and let it hang down....you now make the letter P facing you! Slip it on the dog. This is the correct way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs