Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But of course the puppy spent the night in the cage and was also in there while its owner was at work. That doesn't mean he spent most of his life in the cage. What do you expect people to do, not work so they can have a puppy? Spend 24/7 with the dog?

This isn't the topic, and it is very rude for people to try and say the dog didn't have a good life.
I was sure someone would call me rude and I would derail the thread with my comment, but I couldn't help myself.

Let's assume the person works 8 hours a day plus an hour for lunch and an hour total for commuting time...let's guess they are away for 10 hours? It could be less, but about that. Let's assume they sleep for 8 hours. That right there is 18 hours out of a 24 hour day the dog is crated. Let's say sometimes they go out to dinner, meet a friend for a movie, etc. anything they do outside of the house when they aren't home with the dog and the dog has to stay in the crate. Now I would really like to know how the dog didn't spend most of his life in the crate and in the BASEMENT no less. I've used crates with my dogs when I was house breaking them or couldn't supervise them, but confining a puppy to spend his days AND nights in a crate in a basement alone is not giving a dog a good life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I was sure someone would call me rude and I would derail the thread with my comment, but I couldn't help myself.

Let's assume the person works 8 hours a day plus an hour for lunch and an hour total for commuting time...let's guess they are away for 10 hours? It could be less, but about that. Let's assume they sleep for 8 hours. That right there is 18 hours out of a 24 hour day the dog is crated. Let's say sometimes they go out to dinner, meet a friend for a movie, etc. anything they do outside of the house when they aren't home with the dog and the dog has to stay in the crate. Now I would really like to know how the dog didn't spend most of his life in the crate and in the BASEMENT no less. I've used crates with my dogs when I was house breaking them or couldn't supervise them, but confining a puppy to spend his days AND nights in a crate in a basement alone is not giving a dog a good life.

Well thankfully the dog is dead then and didn't have to live such a horrible life being crated

Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Well thankfully the dog is dead then and didn't have to live such a horrible life being crated
What a mature response. I didn't say it was horrible to crate a dog. I said it's horrible for a dog to spend most of his or her life crated.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Walter hasn't worn a collar in years inside or out and rarely does he have one on when we travel because he is always within reach of one of us. If it is busy when we stop we put on the collar and hook otherwise he stays right with us, does his business and gets back in the vehicle to go for a ride.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
What a mature response. I didn't say it was horrible to crate a dog. I said it's horrible for a dog to spend most of his or her life crated.
It was a puppy! You crate puppies when you can't supervise them to try and keep them safe. At 4 months old he had probably only been there for a month, maybe two. It probably wasn't house broken yet. Some dogs even enjoy being in their crate. I'm home right now, my dog is sleeping in his crate because he enjoys it. Its not the abuse that you want to make it out to be.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
Oh this is a tough one for me as I'm a stickler for my dog always wearing a collar. I live in CA where at any moment, we could have a disastrous earthquake and my dog could easily disappear if my house falls apart.

I would feel so much more optimistic about getting her back if I knew she was wearing her id tag (and yes she's microchipped but who carries a scanner on them? and many don't know to check for such things).

She could also dart out the door when the UPS man stops by; she's not likely to do that but anything could happen.

Someone needs to invent a collar that's safe to wear. Anyone here?? Could be a money maker!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:

For those who are assuming: Although I am not obligated to explain anything further about this puppy for those of you who assumed wrong I will elaborate for the sake of my friend who is one of the most kind people I know. She didn't work steady days and her husband and their teen age girls were around a lot of the time when she wasn't, so the puppy was not in the crate all day and all night like some of you wrongly assumed.

Like any crate trained puppy, he was put in there for the night (in a warm basement with a wood stove in the other room) and only during the day when there wasn't anyone available to watch him.

If you still have a problem with a puppy being in a basement, then you obviously have never seen a finished, nicely decorated basement that people spend a lot of leisure time in.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
HEard a story about someone whose dog was laying on the deck, the tag hanging from the collar got caught in the wooden deck planks and the dog w/h been stuck there indef., possibly panicking, had the owner not been right there to fix the situation.

Another very weird story that happened a while ago, the S-ring that attaches to the collar and ID tag somehow got caught on the other pug's eyelid (I guess the tag must have come off), the S-ring was hanging from his lower eyelid til the owner came home and realized there was a big problem, all ended well, the pug's eye was fine, though but it could have easily not have.

Heard another story of a young yellow lab pup who passed in much the same way as the husky pup, it was in a crate wearing a collar and when the owner came home, the pup was had hanged from the collar and was already dead. Scary sad stuff.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Because she crated him "at night" AND "during the day when she worked". And "when they couldn't watch him". And "etc.".

And he was only four months old.
When my labs Ben and Bella were 4 months old they were crated when I could not supervise them also. It's the only way to keep a lab pup from chewing up everything.

Quote:
WHAT?! People work?! And they have to sleep at some point to?! What?!

Crating is not cruel, and it is perfectly fine to crate your dog while you are unable to supervise him. Crating keeps a young, curious puppy safe from any harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Why are you ignoring the flow of the thread?

The question was asked how the poster came to the conclusion that the dog spent most of his life in a crate.

And it was answered. And it was a true statement. The dog spent most of it's life in the basement alone in a crate. Prior to it's unnecessary painful scary death, choking for air, alone in a crate in a basement.

But hey, thanks for explaining the purpose of a crate. Who knew?
The thread is about not wearing collars, not bashing a poster about how is GF raised her dog.

Quote:
But of course the puppy spent the night in the cage and was also in there while its owner was at work. That doesn't mean he spent most of his life in the cage. What do you expect people to do, not work so they can have a puppy? Spend 24/7 with the dog?

This isn't the topic, and it is very rude for people to try and say the dog didn't have a good life.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
For those who are assuming: Although I am not obligated to explain anything further about this puppy for those of you who assumed wrong I will elaborate for the sake of my friend who is one of the most kind people I know. She didn't work steady days and her husband and their teen age girls were around a lot of the time when she wasn't, so the puppy was not in the crate all day and all night like some of you wrongly assumed.

Like any crate trained puppy, he was put in there for the night (in a warm basement with a wood stove in the other room) and only during the day when there wasn't anyone available to watch him.

If you still have a problem with a puppy being in a basement, then you obviously have never seen a finished, nicely decorated basement that people spend a lot of leisure time in.
I am very glad to hear that. Honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs