Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:47 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Hi folks-

I don't know whether I should be posting this in the main forum, or in the "dog" subforum.

I had a Shih Tzu who died two weeks ago, at the age of 17. After two weeks of his being gone, the impact of his loss has now hit, full impact. What I truly need, would love, is to find a new Shih Tzu puppy. Shih Tzu's are the only breed I can have, as I'm allergic to all other "non-allergenic" dogs. (Odd, I know....)

I don't have the money to go to a breeder in order to purchase a puppy, so am wondering what my options are. I am specifically looking to try and find a puppy, who I could raise. ("Puppy" being defined as under a year old.) One of the reasons I'd prefer a puppy is because I'm hesitant to take in a fully grown dog that someone may have decided to put up for adoption due to behavioral problems, which I'd end up inheriting. (Am not looking to sound unkind in mentioning that, just being realistic, and knowing what I could/could not handle, especially in fairness to the dog....)

Gender is not an issue: male, female doesn't matter.

I don't have the knowledge or background to know how to go about possibly finding a puppy, hence, my posting here. Anyone that could help, with any advice, would be greatly appreciated. The dog I lost two weeks ago I'd had for 17 years (he was a tough old man!) and I initially felt that I would never have it in me to get another dog again. --Am now feeling that the best thing I could do would be to find a new little one, who needed love and caring from someone who needs to give that to another little one right now.....

So I guess I'm asking for any and all advice: How would one go about finding a Shih Tzu puppy when they have no idea about how to go about doing so, without a sufficient amount of knowledge? I did an initial google search, but didn't get too far.

What I need is any of you who are knowledgeable about adoptions, or the various means available in terms of finding a new dog, who know how to inform me how to go about doing the "leg work" in terms of looking for a new puppy. While I did a peripheral google search, I don't think I went about it in the best way. (I have slight neurological problem which makes taking in too much information difficult and overwhelming at times, so there are times when I need assistance due to that.)

I would be greatly appreciative of ANY help, advice, suggestions, recommendations that anyone might have. I realize that I'm putting restrictions on my request in terms of breed, and wanting a puppy, but thought even though it's a long-shot, that I'd put up this post, in the hopes that perhaps I can somehow manage to find a little baby dog who needs to be loved, by someone who so very much needs to give it to another little one right now.

I live alone, so there's a part of my heart that is so empty, but would so truly welcome transforming that emptiness into love for another little one who would welcome the love, caring, and reciprocity that only exists between a beloved pet and it's newly found family member.....

Thank you so much, in advance. I truly appreciate anyone's responses.

Demographics: I live in Boston, but am willing to travel (driving) in order to find a little one who needed a loving home, provided by someone who would be more than glad in providing one!

My apologies that this post has been so lengthy.....Thanks to all who have read!

~June
Don't know if it was mentioned, don't have time to read all responses...

Believe it or not, the POUND has tons of pure breds all the time. Start there. You will get the breed you want, and that little dog with just a week to wait for a savior will get a happy home.

Please consider it. You may not find one right away, or in the first pound you look in, keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I'd go with a breed rescue. Even going through a breeder, you can't 100% guarantee you'll get a hypo dog. Most breeders claim they'll take the dog back if it doesn't work out, but from what I've seen in our area, you'll never get a call back. At least with a breed rescue that's legit you don't stand that risk. They can work with you to find one that works. You can do a weekend trial or offer to foster until you find one that works.

ETA: I'd highly encourage you to drop the age requirement. I've not had a dog under two years for the last seven years. I bond just as closely to them, and they to me, as puppies, but I can avoid the extra medical cost of multiple puppy vaccines, chewed furniture, peed / pooped on floors, etc. Puppies are a ton of work and cost a lot of money in all you go through in training them. I've never understood why anyone would want to bring home a puppy. I mean they're cute and you're friends will all go ga-ga but they're way too much trouble for the full time owner. The belief that only a puppy will truly bond with you or that people can only truly bond with a puppy they raised is a bunch of BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs