Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 14,685 times

Advertisements

I have a three year old Golden Retriever, for the last year he has suffered from itchy flaky skin and horrible hive like sores on his belly, thought they were hot spots but they were not. His belly was red and on his chest and under his arms were extremely itchy. Lots of visits to the vet, steroids, antibiotics, etc. We switched off of Science Diet, which he was raised on, and moved on to some novel protien foods...Innova and Taste of the Wild, helped a little but really after a year he has still struggled. We recently switched to Natural Balance LID Allergy formula Venison and Sweet Potato, he did not love the taste at first but then I also mixed in Pumkin, when this dog loves and it is great for their skin and coat. Now all his sores are going away and I could cry with absolute joy. My sweet boy is getting better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Wellness has just come out with a food for dogs that suffer with allergies. I just got the e-mail about it yesterday announcing it.

WELLNESS® - Healthy Dog and Cat Food

Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
new balance duck and potatoe formula . it works like a champ . My little boy chihuahua had such problems with his digestion and he was not gaining weight at all . Our neighbor suggested a holistic food and wallah it has worked like a champ . He is now healthy and no itchy skin or flakes and a good weight .

Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 29,106 times
Many dogs are allergic to wheat and corn. Find foods that don't have these ingredients. Nutro Ultra line is the one I recommend.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 10,239 times
Default Lovable Pets

The first thing you would want to eliminate from the diet of a dog with allergies would be certain grains which are known to cause problems. Historically grains would not have been a part of a dogs diet. Instead, wild dogs would have consumed mostly raw meats and some plant matter. Therefore, it is usually the grains in a commercially produced food that cause issues. Some grain such as oatmeal and often whole brown rice are safer but it is always possible that dogs could be allergic to these as well.

The best thing would be a raw food diet which can be made at home or purchased from some premium dog food retailers. However, because of the increased preparation and expense many people chose to stick with prepared dog food.

Choosing a good food from among the many can be a confusing process. However, the safest thing to do is study the ingredients label. The first ingredients should be meat products. The ingredients list on Science Diet looks something like this:

Brewers Rice
Corn Gluten Meal
Chicken By-product Meal
Corn Meal
Animal Fat (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols)
Dried Egg Product
Vegetable Oil
Chicken Liver Digest
Fish Meal
DL-methionine

The first ingredients are grains in this case. Corn is a big cause of allergies and it is listed here twice. Dried egg product could very well mean egg shells. Animal fat could be anything. The only meat mentioned here is "Chicken By-product meal" and "fish meal." There is no honest to goodness meat involved. You want to see lots of meat is a dog food. Fruits and vegetables are also good. "DL- methionine" is a source of amino acids put back into the food to restore much of the nutrition which is lost in the cooking process. You will find a number of these "replaced" vitamins listed on any ingredients list.

Canidae and Nature's Balance would be much better options for your dog. These are made with all human-grade ingredients and, for example, the ingredients list on Canidae Grain Free Salmon Meal Formula:
Salmon meal
Potatoes
Potato protein
Ocean fish meal
Canola oil
Peas
Tomato pomace

Nature's Balance has an even simpler list of ingredients and so might even be better for allergies. Also, neither of these brands would use artificial preservatives like Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT all of which have been shown to cause degenerative disease and which Hill's (the maker of Science Diet) use in their foods. In the end I don't think anyone could recommend one "best" food for you. Several could work and it doesn't hurt to mix foods or switch up every now and then as long as you get to know your ingredients list.

Also, remember that the allergy could come from any treats that you currently feed. In addition to switching foods you may need to double check the ingredients on your treats.

We have many foods available that meet these criteria at Lovable Pets at 1313 Grand Ave. in the Evergreen Plaza and would be happy to answer any further questions.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:17 PM

82 posts, read 440,152 times
Actually Natrural Balance is made at the Diamond plant who claims they preserve all their food with Ethoxyquin.

Risk Ingredients Not Listed on Pet Food Labels

Many (most) dog foods in the US that contain fish meal don't have to name an ingredient if they weren't the ones who put it in. Fish meal by law has to be preserved with Ethoxyquin uness the manufacturer as a special permit..some do..most do not.

You'd be safe with food made by Champion, Acana, Origen Canada made

Flint river in the US is also Ethoxyquin free and I'm still researching.
Also most companies will tell you their feish meal does not contain Ethoxyquin at any stage...but as I just put Timberwolf on the spot they had to tell me that they TRY not to let it in, but sometimes a batch of fish does have it...hmmm...

I couldn't stomach feeding raw...but I can set three more places for dinner

Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM

167 posts, read 597,701 times
I did not know Natural Balance was made at the Diamond plant. Even if the food itself does not contain any fish ingredients, I wonder if there could still be traces of ethoxyquin in it due to it being manufactured on the same equipment as the food containing the fish??? This makes me want to make my own food, but that seems like it would be such an ordeal. Anyone make their own food (cooked, not raw)?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM

82 posts, read 440,152 times
Sorry need to clerify my statement about Natural Balance. Not all their food contain Ethoxyquin, it's just all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”

I don't think I would worry about the other formulas.

Making your own dog's food is easy. There's lots of recipes on the web. My vet says dogs are easy, they're more like us. Cat's not so easy they have special requirements.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Cooking your dog's food destroys all vital nutrients and should never be done. Raw, meaty bones. Feed that and you won't see a single allergy or skin issue.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Cooking your dog's food destroys all vital nutrients and should never be done. Raw, meaty bones. Feed that and you won't see a single allergy or skin issue.
Not necessarily so! I had a dog on a raw diet who was allergic to chicken.
Dogs can have meat allergies and chicken is one of the more common ones, believe it or not.

Did fine when I took him off that and moved him to a fish based diet. The same dog also did just fine with corn in his food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs