Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times

Advertisements

My GSD doesn't like to go out for a walk in the dark. She acts more alert and aggressive too. I am wondering whether she can see well in the dark. But everywhere I read that dog can see better than human in the night. Any comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Any dog can see better at night then human, regardless of breed. They're more allert when it's dark out, there are more critters out then in the day time which contributes to alertness, i don't know about agression

Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 AM

Well, we are always wondering about our GSD's night vision.

1. Last year, we just moved into our new home (our first move after we put our house on the market). My husband came home very late and I didn't leave any light on. My GSD charged at him aggressively. My husband was fast enough to call her name to stop the attack. Since we have never seen her like this, we were shocked. It looks like that my GSD was also shocked. She frozen at her position for a while and run back to her crate and didn't come out for a long time. We had to give her treats to bring her out of her crate. After this incidence, if we came home in the dark, my GSD will keep distance and keep looking at our direction until we call her. I guess she wants to make sure it is us in the home. Therefore, we think she can't see clearly in dark.

2. The recent incidence made me post this question. My neighbor has an Airedale and a black lab. They play with my GSD during weekend, in our back yard or in their backyard. If they met during daily walk, they will do some play bow and jump on each other a little bit. They usually meet where there is light. Several days ago, I finally got time to walk my GSD in the night. My neighbor was walking his two dogs too. As usual, we brought them close together. The Airedale (a 10 month old puppy) did his usual play bow and try to jump on my GSD. My GSD looked confused and jumped behind me. She seems want to leave. But I didn't think anything (a mistake) and kept on talking with the neighbor. Then the black lab jumped on her. Then my GSD became mad and pinned the black lab on the ground. I was able to pull my GSD off the lab. The black lab is fine. So I am wondering what is going on. I will see a vet to check her eyesight and keep her away from other dogs if it is dark outside. Maybe she doesn't like the darkness.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Well, we are always wondering about our GSD's night vision.

1. Last year, we just moved into our new home (our first move after we put our house on the market). My husband came home very late and I didn't leave any light on. My GSD charged at him aggressively. My husband was fast enough to call her name to stop the attack. Since we have never seen her like this, we were shocked. It looks like that my GSD was also shocked. She frozen at her position for a while and run back to her crate and didn't come out for a long time. We had to give her treats to bring her out of her crate. After this incidence, if we came home in the dark, my GSD will keep distance and keep looking at our direction until we call her. I guess she wants to make sure it is us in the home. Therefore, we think she can't see clearly in dark.

2. The recent incidence made me post this question. My neighbor has an Airedale and a black lab. They play with my GSD during weekend, in our back yard or in their backyard. If they met during daily walk, they will do some play bow and jump on each other a little bit. They usually meet where there is light. Several days ago, I finally got time to walk my GSD in the night. My neighbor was walking his two dogs too. As usual, we brought them close together. The Airedale (a 10 month old puppy) did his usual play bow and try to jump on my GSD. My GSD looked confused and jumped behind me. She seems want to leave. But I didn't think anything (a mistake) and kept on talking with the neighbor. Then the black lab jumped on her. Then my GSD became mad and pinned the black lab on the ground. I was able to pull my GSD off the lab. The black lab is fine. So I am wondering what is going on. I will see a vet to check her eyesight and keep her away from other dogs if it is dark outside. Maybe she doesn't like the darkness.
I would get her eyes checked BUT some dogs don't like certain circumstances.
Cody loves to play w/ other dogs but if it's in the house he feels trapped and get's a little testy and mean. He's also a little mean(w/ other dogs) on a leash as he feels like he can't get away from other dogs.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Yes, check your dog's vision at the vets office, that's a great idea and make sure there are nothing troubling with eyes. Let us know how the visit went.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
I hope that I may be wrong, but it actually sounds like the dog has a harder time seeing by the way he is responding more randomly and feeling unsure of itself. A dog that see too well would have a better sense of it's surroundings than feeling on guard because it may see more shadows, etc.

anyone else see this? Yes, let us know how this goes..

Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Hi, thank you all. The appointment is made and we will see her vet on December 11. I will let everyone know the vet's opinion.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
I didn't realize it until a recent vet visit that my cat is losing her sight. The vet picked it up right away and showed me. Afterwards, we realized the change in behavior due to her sight loss (she's at about 50% loss right now).

It sure sounds like your dog is having some sight problems .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs