Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times

Advertisements

A dog owner posed this question to me today and I've been mulling over my thoughts on the topic:

The owner has 2 dogs. Both were adopted as pups and both dogs are mutts. The first dog, who is now 8, had a richly stimulating start to her life. Right from the start and continuing for the first couple years of the dog's life, the owner had her in weekly training classes, practiced her training skills at home on a regular basis, was very committed to spending quality time with her, took the dog on various outings including daily walks and occasional vacations to the lake, etc. Even though the owner did not keep up this dedication to enrichment, the first dog seems to have benefited from it in long-lasting ways. She is friendly with new people and confident in new situations, she is incredibly inquisitive and eager to please, she has a deep connection with the owner and learns extremely quickly.

The second dog, who is now 3, had quite a different start. The owner was just busier in general and wasn't exactly 'ready' or prepared for a second dog (this was a "foster failure" situation where the owner wasn't looking for another dog but happened to fall in love with the dog she was fostering so adopted her). In the owner's words, she "just let the first dog raise the second one." Basically the second dog never has received much training from the owner other than basic household rules (whereas the first dog did agility, rally, flyball, and many advanced obedience classes in the first couple years of her life). The second dog is well behaved but she almost seems impaired or stunted from a lack of stimulation. She is aloof with new people, resistant to anything she's not used to, is much more of a dog's dog than a people dog, is slow to pick up new skills that are taught to her, and seems to approach life like she is just going through the motions of her predictable daily schedule. (Note both dogs are currently living pretty boring lives but the first dog still seems to have a special spark and brightness to her that comes from being so engaged early in her life).

The owner wants to know: if she really makes an effort starting now to step up her game with both dogs, will the second dog blossom and become more engaged or will she never completely overcome her 'boring' start to life. The plan would be daily fun training sessions, walks, outings, and an effort on the owner's part to give the dog more to do in general.

The owner's main goal is to get the second dog's brain working and actually make her smarter. She presents as less intelligent than the first dog at this point but I don't think it is truly a difference in intelligence - I believe they are both smart dogs and the first one just has so much more experience learning to learn. I also think an important distinction is that the first dog had several years as an only dog whereas the second dog has always had another dog around, making it easy for her to slip into the mode of being less people oriented (especially since the owner was so disengaged).

What outcome would you predict for this owner and her dog? We know that increased physical and mental exercise will surely be beneficial but do you think that the second dog will truly come alive and connect more and even become smarter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:15 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Some of this will have to do with other factors. What breeds are she mixed with... Shelties tend to Not be outgoing with others. And the Dogs true nature... could be she more lay back & nothing will change that. BUT I think she should train & spend time with her dogs esp the younger one. It would benefit them both when the older dog passes. Dogs ARE Smart People Are Dumb!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
A dog owner posed this question to me today and I've been mulling over my thoughts on the topic:

The owner has 2 dogs. Both were adopted as pups and both dogs are mutts. The first dog, who is now 8, had a richly stimulating start to her life. Right from the start and continuing for the first couple years of the dog's life, the owner had her in weekly training classes, practiced her training skills at home on a regular basis, was very committed to spending quality time with her, took the dog on various outings including daily walks and occasional vacations to the lake, etc. Even though the owner did not keep up this dedication to enrichment, the first dog seems to have benefited from it in long-lasting ways. She is friendly with new people and confident in new situations, she is incredibly inquisitive and eager to please, she has a deep connection with the owner and learns extremely quickly.

The second dog, who is now 3, had quite a different start. The owner was just busier in general and wasn't exactly 'ready' or prepared for a second dog (this was a "foster failure" situation where the owner wasn't looking for another dog but happened to fall in love with the dog she was fostering so adopted her). In the owner's words, she "just let the first dog raise the second one." Basically the second dog never has received much training from the owner other than basic household rules (whereas the first dog did agility, rally, flyball, and many advanced obedience classes in the first couple years of her life). The second dog is well behaved but she almost seems impaired or stunted from a lack of stimulation. She is aloof with new people, resistant to anything she's not used to, is much more of a dog's dog than a people dog, is slow to pick up new skills that are taught to her, and seems to approach life like she is just going through the motions of her predictable daily schedule. (Note both dogs are currently living pretty boring lives but the first dog still seems to have a special spark and brightness to her that comes from being so engaged early in her life).

The owner wants to know: if she really makes an effort starting now to step up her game with both dogs, will the second dog blossom and become more engaged or will she never completely overcome her 'boring' start to life. The plan would be daily fun training sessions, walks, outings, and an effort on the owner's part to give the dog more to do in general.

The owner's main goal is to get the second dog's brain working and actually make her smarter. She presents as less intelligent than the first dog at this point but I don't think it is truly a difference in intelligence - I believe they are both smart dogs and the first one just has so much more experience learning to learn. I also think an important distinction is that the first dog had several years as an only dog whereas the second dog has always had another dog around, making it easy for her to slip into the mode of being less people oriented (especially since the owner was so disengaged).

What outcome would you predict for this owner and her dog? We know that increased physical and mental exercise will surely be beneficial but do you think that the second dog will truly come alive and connect more and even become smarter?
Absolutely. While I disagree with some people who claim that dogs cannot remember, (due to an issue my own have never gotten over), they most certainly DO live for the day. If she steps it up, he will undoubtedly come out of his "shell", so to speak. Now, he may not quite grasp everything since he is not used to it, like dogs who don't know how to play, (but those are extreme cases), but if she perseveres, and has patience, that dog will eventually learn...IF that is in his nature. She needs to keep in mind that some dogs just aren't as playful as other dogs. Some dogs are content to sniff at the flowers and eat grass instead of tear around the yard. That doesn't mean that their lives have been stunted, it just means that is what they like. But even a dog like that can still enjoy moments of play. I would just tell her to do it, don't ever get frustrated....give the dog the tools, and see what he does with them.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Time with a dog is always well spent.
But just remind her (as Katie and Three Wolves indicated) the 2nd dog is not the 1st dog and she is never going to change that.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
A friend of mine adopted a two year-old Yorkie that was extremely neglected. The little yorkie was sweet, affectionate, and loved to go on walks ~ but he never did learn to play with a toy. No matter what toy they purchased, he would never pay attention to it. I guess because he had never learned to play?

Anyway, he still had a great life with his new owners. He never did seem all that smart either ~ but very sweet.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,174 times
you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Just like people, some dogs are introverts and will never be fun loving, outgoing, excited to see you types.

But, she should try and by trying she may see some changes in the 2nd dogs personality. I don't think anyone can predict the outcome....the best trainer in the world can only give opportunities, not guarantee outcomes.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post

Yes, dogs live in the moment as we all know, so if her new moments are spent in fun and activity and her owners full attention it will reap huge rewards and increase the quality of life for the owner as well. Engage and enjoy!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
These are great responses so far. I should stress to the owner that it's important to see her dogs as individuals and try not to compare them to one another so much. My main message to her so far was that implementing this new enrichment plan can't hurt and can only help. The owner seems pretty motivated but also very goal oriented, and the specific goal she has in mind is that she would like the second dog to actually become smarter / quicker at learning.

The owner reports that over the last year or so she has occasionally felt inspired to try a training session with each dog. The first dog remains very quick at picking up any new skill that the owner teaches and the owner strongly believes that this is mainly due to that dog's experiences for about the first 2-3 years of her life. That dog still remembers what training is - how it goes, how it works, she knows her part is to figure out what will earn her the reward, etc. The second dog has no experience to fall back on and almost doesn't seem to understand how training works. The owner becomes frustrated with the second dog for not picking things up super quick like the other dog.

The 2 dogs actually look strikingly similar (which the owner told me is one reason she fell in love with the second dog) and if I had to make a guess at their breed mix I'd say some kind of small terrier mixed with some herding breeds. They are in the 30-35 lb range. The older one's face / snout is like a JRT / Parson Russell and the younger one's head is shaped more like a Fox Terrier or Collie. They both have a Bentley mark and some speckling like Cattle Dogs but their coat type is more Aussie or Border Collie length. They are definitely total mutts. Beautiful dogs.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
A friend of mine adopted a two year-old Yorkie that was extremely neglected. The little yorkie was sweet, affectionate, and loved to go on walks ~ but he never did learn to play with a toy. No matter what toy they purchased, he would never pay attention to it. I guess because he had never learned to play?

Anyway, he still had a great life with his new owners. He never did seem all that smart either ~ but very sweet.
These are learned behaviors for sure, my poodle llasha mix I got as a three year old never knew how to play with other dogs. The first year was spent keeping her from attacking my Pom mix and other dogs on walks, the 2nd year and my Pom try's to engage her to no avail and she thinks if she even looks at her, that she is trouble. Now she kinda does a playful growl and feet action while they both get down off the bed in the a.m. For a few brief seconds but that is the end of it until the next morning, although she enjoys a group bark at the window for people or deer going by. She also plays alone with toys, never with the other dog. They are definetly distinct personalities. As long as the dogs are happy it's no big deal, as you mention. They are still adorable.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
K-9Coach Have you heard of Early Imprinting? Back in the 1970s it was discovered by Horse people that IF you handle a foal & teach them to wear a halter/lead & teach them to walk nicly on that lead when young. Then turn them out in a huge pasture & ignore them for 2 yrs. The go out & put them into training the Foals that had that Early training [imprinting] Picked it back up Quicker than foals Never handled to begin with. This didn't make 1 foal smarter than the other. Just took more time for the one to catch on to what the dumb humans want them to do now!

So point I making is the 2nd dog IS most likely just as smart as the 1st the Stupid owner Not giving the 2nd a chance to figure out what she is Now Demanding. After all she the one that Ignore the 2nd dog.

I wondering WHY she adopted the 2nd dog anyway ... she did not care for him enough to train him & spend time with him. This dog might be better off in a new home IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs