Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
It is a good list...and I just knew the Chia-hua-hua was not going to be on that list, especially in AZ, with "packs" running wild. "Dogs gone wild - AZ addition" Sorry, I could not resist.

It is always good to see Pitties in a top ten friendliest list. Mine have been clowns, loving and oh so forgiving. ((Such a wonderful breed when you stripe away the media crap.))

Thank you for yet another wonderful post!

Chihuahuas are not a bad breed you have to socialize them I have one of the best natured chihuahuas my vet has ever seen and he is really impressed with how well I have raised them despite the circumstances they came from . I understand after seeing some of them how some people could think that all chihuahuas are like this . I am here to tell you they are not .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:06 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It is a good list but I am surprised Golden Retriever is not on there. IMO, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is the friendliest breed out there...surprised to see it isn't the top or near top breed.
I am not surprised that Goldens are not on there. I've met three Goldens since I've moved to this new neighborhood and not a one of them is "friendly". One chased me and my dog out in to the road with traffic; we weren't even on his damn property.

Am glad to see Pits make it...now to just reverse all the lies that the media has spewed for the last decade so that the public finally pulls their heads out of their behinds and stops killing them left and right.

My hoodlums are half way on that list. They are Border Collie/Black Lab mixed.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
There are so many other breeds that are friendly all of the time instead of choosing a pit bull that may or may not be friendly, depending on the owner. I'm betting the person that came up with the idea of this list owns a pit so they could spew their support for them. Reports of dog attacks since the 1970's where the dog breed was identified after the attack show pit bulls to be responsible for around 40-50% of dog attacks in each study. Let's put them on the friendly list!

What a joke.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
There are so many other breeds that are friendly all of the time instead of choosing a pit bull that may or may not be friendly, depending on the owner. I'm betting the person that came up with the idea of this list owns a pit so they could spew their support for them. Reports of dog attacks since the 1970's where the dog breed was identified after the attack show pit bulls to be responsible for around 40-50% of dog attacks in each study. Let's put them on the friendly list!

What a joke.
"Breeds that are friendly all the time"? What a joke. Ain't no such animal. And pit bulls had a higher percentage of dogs that passed their temperament test (84%) than the average of all breeds (77%) in a study by the American Temperament Society. That's no joke.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
The sad thing is that when people see a dog attack and can't identify the dog they immediately think it is a pit bull. Not saying they don't sometimes cause some great harm but other breeds do too. When we were looking at houses to buy on two different days DH was bitten by little yappy dogs left alone in the houses. And we are great lovers of little yappy dogs!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Papillions should be on the list. The most social and friendly dog I've had.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The sad thing is that when people see a dog attack and can't identify the dog they immediately think it is a pit bull. Not saying they don't sometimes cause some great harm but other breeds do too. When we were looking at houses to buy on two different days DH was bitten by little yappy dogs left alone in the houses. And we are great lovers of little yappy dogs!
Two questions:

Do you honestly think they should be on the top 10 most friendliest dogs list?

Have you ever owned one?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
You didn't ask me, but I own two, I've worked with hundreds at a shelter, taken them to adoption events, seen them around all kinds of people and kids, seen updates from adoptive parents months and years later, and yes, I absolutely do. Like many of the volunteers, I was a little leery of them at first due to their reputation. Now I can't imagine life without these great dogs.

Last edited by subject2change; 03-05-2014 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I'm not surprised either that Pitties are on the list-- ours is so friendly and affectionate. Our other dog, a Boston Terrier, also made the list.

Here's a pretty good article on Pitties, trying to dispel that many myths.

The Tragedy of America's Dog: The Vilification of the Pit Bull - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society
The sad thing about the story of the Pitbull is that it was unofficially "adopted" as the mascot for a class of people who have all but destroyed the breed, or at least certainly destroyed the impression that people have of the breed. You can blame the low-life whites and thugs for this. I have known one or two Pitbulls personally and they are as fine a dog as any, but I would not trust one that I did not know personally because you have no idea who has raised them, and how they have been trained. But then I would be cautious of any large, powerful dog that I did not know personally, Doberman, Rottweiler, German Shepherd...it just makes sense to be careful.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Havanese are extremely pleasant dogs to be around too.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs