Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:58 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,237,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Every breed has their fanatics. I guess I love an "underdog". Between the bad (and often wrong or misinformed) media articles, being disproportionally represented (and euthanized) in shelters and even have people calling for their automatic destruction makes me want to pull for them. However, it is after working with many, many pits as a volunteer at a local shelter that I have come to really love them. I have seen ones that arrive after been dumped, injured and/or obviously used for breeding still have an amazing love for people. Their fat heads, big chests, amazing smiles and happy tails bring a smile to me.

I have to say that I feel the same way! I love the dogs and I hate bigotry and stereotyping. Animals included.

My pitties make me happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM

384 posts, read 596,333 times
A 5 year old girl was just mauled to death by her family's pit bull.

Keep you heads buried in the sands of suspended reality.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
I have a pit bull mix and she is probably the sweetest dog in my neighborhood.

Due to stereotypes and prejudices, most other dog owners taking their dog for a walk will purposely avoid us and will pull their dog away from our path.

When they DO allow my dog to come close, they are surprised how sweet and patient and freindly she is. My pit bull mix is extremely dog friendly and people friendly. She's always been this way. She's had several dogs bark and snap at her (not pits, but everything from labs to yappy dogs), and everytime my dog stays calm.

My pit mix is also well trained. I took her through every training class they had at PetSmart. She went to Puppy, then Basic, then Clicker, then Advanced and she even got her AKC Canine Good Citizen certification. The trainer actually wanted her to be a therapy dog. A pit bull mix as a therapy dog!

My dream world would be for every dog owner to be just like you.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The media reports news. .
lol.

Any credibility you might have had is now completely gone!

As you've been told but fail to comprehend, the media wouldn't know a pittie if it saw one.

The media reports what gets attention. No more, no less. And certainly not the truth.

Now you know.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Girl, 4, killed in pit bull attack in Houma | New Orleans - WDSU Home

Looks like a mix to me....JMO.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
A 5 year old girl was just mauled to death by her family's pit bull.

Keep you heads buried in the sands of suspended reality.
Keep your head in the sand and don't educate yourself on the fact that the 130 pound dog in question was NOT a pit bull.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Another report on perception vs reality, from a vet in Florida. In particular, look at page 2.

Dr. Ian Kupkee weighs in on pit bull ban | That's Life - Home

Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Another false perception is that there is a dog bite epidemic. In fact, dog bites have gone way down over the years. Every attack that occurs is a tragedy, and I don't mean to minimize anything, no matter what type of dog is involved. It just disturbs me that the relatively new practice of reporting every attack purported to involve a pit bull leaves people with a false impression about pit bulls in particular, and the danger of dogs in general.

Reported Dog Bites Decreasing

Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM

384 posts, read 596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Keep your head in the sand and don't educate yourself on the fact that the 130 pound dog in question was NOT a pit bull.
According to every news report and the cops it was.

Anecdotal stories and people's love for their own dogs are not fact based statistics.

2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM

Dogsbite.org always manages to come up at the top of google searches, but they vastly under report the population of pit bulls in the US, and over report the number of attacks by pit bulls. If you click on the link I posted above, dog bites decreasing, and then on the tab that says injurious dog bites, there is a wealth of information, including reports of every fatal dog attack each year since 2009. The National Canine Research Council is the source used by the American Veterinary Medical Association in their recent review of dog bites and breed-specific legislation. Apparently they aren't impressed with the statistics provided by dogsbite.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs