Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Dogs are a product of their environments, and we, as dog owners, have a responsibility to train them properly to ensure the safety of those around us. One of my mantras is "no bad breeds, just bad owners." Sadly, some breeds, including Pit Bulls, have been targeted by breed-specific legislation (BSL) that attempts to regulate or ban them in many communities throughout the United States and beyond.

https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/why-pit...153900523.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
I've often wondered how a 'nanny dog' became a 'pit bull'. Now I know!

Thanks, John1960.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Dogs are a product of their environments, and we, as dog owners, have a responsibility to train them properly to ensure the safety of those around us. One of my mantras is "no bad breeds, just bad owners." Sadly, some breeds, including Pit Bulls, have been targeted by breed-specific legislation (BSL) that attempts to regulate or ban them in many communities throughout the United States and beyond.

https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/why-pit...153900523.html
Dogs aren't people, they are mostly a product of their genetics.

And Pitbulls are messed up beyond repair. Every one of them should be sterilized. Mankind bred them to begin with and then he ruined the breed by cross breeding aggressive pits with other aggressive pits and killed the docile ones off or let the aggressive pits kill them for training.

Cops kill every pitbull they have to deal with, they don't even hesitate. The cops I know anyway.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Fortunately in my area, the cops take most of them to the shelter where they have a chance at finding the loving homes they deserve, and many do. More and more people are realizing what great family dogs they are. Seriously.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

And Pitbulls are messed up beyond repair. Every one of them should be sterilized. Mankind bred them to begin with and then he ruined the breed by cross breeding aggressive pits with other aggressive pits and killed the docile ones off or let the aggressive pits kill them for training.

Cops kill every Pitbull they have to deal with, they don't even hesitate. The cops I know anyway.
I would venture to say that you are assuming. Normal for those who are misinformed and/or uneducated when it comes to the Bully breeds. Or the opinion of those who raise a Pit to be afraid, untrusting, aggressive, etc., usually through neglect or abuse.

I don't know where you live but I highly doubt your law enforcement officers would be happy to hear you say they just automatically kill every bully breed they "have to deal with". You do know that Pit Bulls are trained and actually serve as K9 officers, Military service members, US Customs detection dogs, Search and Rescue and Therapy dogs, right?

I have two work dogs that are now retired because of age. They were both former rescues, seized by the police department and trained to work. One, though retired, is still an emergency blood donor. Would the fact that your "non pit" dogs life was saved by having a Pit Bulls blood given to save it's life scare you? Or would you maybe appreciate that he gladly held his paw out for the IV to withdraw that blood that saved your non Pit's life? And unbeknownst to you, maybe even silently comforted your baby while waiting to see if he/she would be ok?

I also foster "danger breeds". I adopted one recently, a Pit mix seized by police because of abuse and neglect. Know why I adopted the almost one year old 28 pound (when seized) boy? Beside the fact that I love him, he takes every hard case I get and somehow he comforts them. Pits are extremely easy to train and yes, easy to retrain in most cases, just like the one I adopted. After proper care he is now over 90 pounds and is a huge asset to our city's police animal department because many other abused/neglected dogs/puppies and cats/kittens have been rehabbed and adopted out because of him. Kind of like pet therapy for pets.

I will agree with one thing you said. I also believe that Bully's, along with all other breeds should be spayed/neutered. Unfortunately there are too many people who think they can make money off of the puppies they breed. It's amazing how many purebred dogs are available at city/county pounds. But some people will continue to believe that "their" bought dog is better than the same breed dumped at a pound. Kind of funny because I currently have a purebred mini Yorkie and Cocker Spaniel along with 5 "danger breeds" being fostered in my home right now. Along with a main coon, ragdoll and 6 other kittens/cats.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,802 times
Quote:

Cops kill every pitbull they have to deal with, they don't even hesitate. The cops I know anyway.
That's odd....I have seen quite a few pitbulls while walking my dogs in my town lately and none of them are aggressive or nasty.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
I asked this before, but I will ask again--why are so many people so crazy about this breed anyway? What's wrong with a Labrador retriever, beagle, chow, or any number of other breeds? I'm not hating on the breed, or that MAYBE it's received an unfair bad rep, but rather I just don't get why so many people swarm to that breed as if it's absolutely the only decent type of dog that exists. That makes just as little sense to me as the bad rap makes to people who've had good experiences with them.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
I may have answered you before with my reason for favoring the pit bulls, so I won't repeat myself. But there is nothing wrong with any of the breeds you mentioned. I know people who always have labs, or always Great Danes, and I bet you know people who stick to one breed, at least most of the time, too. Do you ask them why labs, and what is wrong with other breeds? I bet not. People just have preferences. I won't necessarily always have pitties. I've had other mixes before them, and I can't say what I'll have in the future. But pit bulls are special to me, and always will be. If pittie lovers seem to talk about them more, it's because we have an uphill battle changing peoples' negative perceptions.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 PM

114 posts, read 192,276 times
I made up a poem about/to honor a pit bull puppy that one of my staff brought in to visit with my group home. - her apartment wouldn't let her keep it.

Puppy

Puppy oh puppy wants to live to love and licks forever give.

But cut the rope that ties him not innocence shall be forgot. Labled as a dangerous breed few shall answer to his need, Kim's(not her real name) apartment will not allow pits he could become kibbles and bits.

Please buy me the dog says my roommate now how will you take care of it I vow. Your money is managed for you day by day addictions to caffine and cigeretes rule a shuttered sway.

I'll give it to a friend says Kim my staff against the will of the puppy's behalf. Later on her friend backs out now a puppy's future is lost about.

Home to home the puppy shall go then to a lonely cage soceities scorn predjudgces rage. Its time to die as the puppy whimpers no its time to let death have a go for innocence is born to be slaughtered this is the lesson time has taught us.

Darkness has sealed its fate its 2 o clock the pound cant wait. Barking and jumping playfully he licks a gloved hand that will send him to shadowland. Together they walk to a room in which the deadly deed is done to a forgotten one.

First a needle is put inside a puppy's fear he cannot hide then comes a sleeping death as with a sigh he breathes his last breath. Puppy oh puppy only wanted to live to love and licks forever give but cut the rope that ties him not innocence shall be forgot.

A body is a barrel he is now inside the whole truth I cannot hide a man from a truck will haul them away the sides of the truck shows clearly as day To serve the pet food industery.

Weather or not this actually happened to the puppy god only knows but it makes you think doesnt it.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:

Future serial killers kill every pitbull they have to deal with, they don't even hesitate. The future serial killers I know anyway.
Genetics does play a roll, environment plays a bigger roll. From this statement I would say. You are rather uneducated on the history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the other breeds that where bred by dogmen way back when. I would say that that is because you are a product of your environment. Believing any hype you are fed.

While I hate dog fighting and what it was I am not going to hate the fact that what we are left with these days from (good breeders) is a beautiful loyal dog that is great with people and especially children which they had to be in the day of the dogmen else they where killed. Never let facts get in the way of your rants though.

I fixed your last sentence for you, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs