Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

There was a little dog in the middle of a business road at a very sharp curve at the top of a hill a few days ago. I pulled my car off the road, and tried to coax it into my car. It was skittish and ran back into traffic. Fortunately it was daylight and all cars stopped in all directs. Everyone got out of their cars trying to catch this dog. (This road and curve are so bad that even the most uncaring person would try to help that dog.) It darted across the street, and disappeared behind a house. We tried to find it to no avail.

When my husband and I were going out to dinner this evening, there were three people on the side of the road at that dangerous bend. One person was laying on the ground screaming and crying. I told my husband I thought someone had been hit by a vehicle. The bend is THAT BAD and there is no sidewalk. We pulled our car off the side of the road a few houses up and headed down to help with our cell phone in hand to call 911.

I asked one of the other people if she was okay, if she had been hit by a car. He said she wasn't hit, her dog was killed. I didn't say a word and turned back towards my car. I told my husband what happened the other day. I said she was an idiot. I was so angry at her that I didn't even care she was in the road gutter devastated by the loss of her dog. She deserves to be traumatized. Maybe she learned a lesson before she gets another pet.

On our way home, I noticed that the building has multiple mailboxes at the end of the driveway near the road. It's a huge old house that is converted to apartments. They must be new tenants. What person with half a brain would let a dog run wild? While living on a street that's as busy as a highway too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:40 PM

95 posts, read 111,090 times
Oh for heaven sakes . Some people (not calling you one but the lady who was crying) are total morons who think they can sit on the side of the road. If there were no witnesses and i found out her dog died, I would of just run her over.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There was a little dog in the middle of a business road at a very sharp curve at the top of a hill a few days ago. I pulled my car off the road, and tried to coax it into my car. It was skittish and ran back into traffic. Fortunately it was daylight and all cars stopped in all directs. Everyone got out of their cars trying to catch this dog. (This road and curve are so bad that even the most uncaring person would try to help that dog.) It darted across the street, and disappeared behind a house. We tried to find it to no avail.

When my husband and I were going out to dinner this evening, there were three people on the side of the road at that dangerous bend. One person was laying on the ground screaming and crying. I told my husband I thought someone had been hit by a vehicle. The bend is THAT BAD and there is no sidewalk. We pulled our car off the side of the road a few houses up and headed down to help with our cell phone in hand to call 911.

I asked one of the other people if she was okay, if she had been hit by a car. He said she wasn't hit, her dog was killed. I didn't say a word and turned back towards my car. I told my husband what happened the other day. I said she was an idiot. I was so angry at her that I didn't even care she was in the road gutter devastated by the loss of her dog. She deserves to be traumatized. Maybe she learned a lesson before she gets another pet.

On our way home, I noticed that the building has multiple mailboxes at the end of the driveway near the road. It's a huge old house that is converted to apartments. They must be new tenants. What person with half a brain would let a dog run wild? While living on a street that's as busy as a highway too!
Very sad that some people have to learn things the hard way. Just blows my mind how many people aren't intelligent enough to even keep their children next to them in when walking behind parked cars in a parking lot. Hello...half the population drives trucks or SUVS here and can't see anyone short directly behind their vehicle!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 AM

189 posts, read 327,034 times
I can't tell which part you're pi**ed about? That someone was distraught from finding out their dog died or that a dog got loose and ran out into the road.

Either way, way to have some empathy. You don't know the whole story. Jeez.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
I can't tell which part you're pi**ed about? That someone was distraught from finding out their dog died or that a dog got loose and ran out into the road.

Indoor dogs don't just get loose. When they do, responsible owners are at their heels trying to catch them. This woman wasn't anywhere around when the entire traffic jam was trying to catch it the prior day. She was opening her door and letting her dog out to do its business without watching it. I have empathy for the dog, not the idiot.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 AM

729 posts, read 1,506,321 times
I had a client once that assumed that every loose dog was the result of a bad home. She would take the dog and keep it, ignoring any signs she saw that people were trying to find their beloved pet. Because of this, she had half a dozen dogs and one had to live in her car because it didn't get along with the others. Her situation was deplorable but she swore it was better than any home the loose dog came out of.

Several years ago my step daughter was out playing frisbee in the snow, at midnight on New Years, with her dog and her friends. Someone accidentally threw the frisbee in the road just as a car was coming and the dog got clipped. She ran off in panic. We searched for weeks for that dog. We hung up posters, put ads in the paper, we did everything. She finally turned up in someones coach house a few blocks away. Again, those people assumed the dog came from a crap home. It didn't. It was an accident.

Another time my husband and I were driving to town when we saw a little naked toddler running down the busy road. All the cars were giving the child a wide birth. We pulled over and my husband ran across the road and grabbed the kid. Another man ran over to help. They went to the first home they encountered down the road where a very frantic father was looking for his child. He had fallen asleep due to working double shifts and the kid managed to open the door and get outside. My husband explained where the child was as the other man that was "helping" threatened to call DSS. The VERY next day a fence was put up around that house.

The point is, accidents happen and it's not always how it looks.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:49 AM

30,543 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post

I agree.

Maybe something happened at home (a kid getting hurt or whatever) and the dog got out. It happens.

I think you're being unfair.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
The point is, accidents happen and it's not always how it looks.
Imagine how your opinion about the father would have changed if you had found that toddler running naked down the street the very next day. This wasn't a one time occurrence. Two days in a row this woman's dog was in heavy traffic without her supervision.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree.

Maybe something happened at home (a kid getting hurt or whatever) and the dog got out. It happens.

I think you're being unfair.
I saw this dog in heavy traffic TWICE in two days. I don't live near there. I was heading to the pharmacy the first time and out to dinner with my husband the second time. Do you realize the odds of that since I don't drive on that road very often? That dog had to be running around loose a lot more than two times. If I would have given her the benefit of the doubt and had empathy for her if I hadn't seen the dog in traffic the previous day.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
Things can happen, but the fact it happened twice in a short time, and no one seemed to be nearby the first time, speaks volumes. This wasn't a house with a fenced yard that a dog found a way out of. It was an apartment building where there's no reason for a dog to be off leash outside.
I saw a dog loose last month, that I thought I recognized from a couple of blocks away. He happily got in my car and I took him home. She looked totally surprised. The woman said, gee, when I let him outside he always stays in the yard. She had this baffled look on her face as to how her unleashed, unfenced-in dog, who she obviously wasn't keeping an eye on, could have wandered off. A couple of weeks later, my neighbor found him and took him home. A couple of days ago, I saw him again. This time he wouldn't come to me and I called AC. The point being, people can just be really dense about what their dog is going to do when unsupervised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs