Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times

Advertisements

Hi there. New to the dog forum here. I have a senior male dog - around 12 years old, although we can't be sure since he was rescued from a shelter. In the past few weeks, he has developed some urinary incontinence issues - mostly while sleeping. After a urine test, a blood test, a round of antibiotics, and an x-ray, we have decided with our vet to try putting him on Proin - 25 mg twice a day. Just started last night. Of course, I started googling the drug to find out information this morning, and I've stumbled across websites where owners claim their dog was doing well until they went on Proin and then their dog suddenly died. My inclination is to think most of those people are in the grieving process and wanting to blame something for the death of their dog, so the Proin is an easy enough thing to blame, but who knows. Most mainstream veterinary sites tend to assert that it's a pretty safe drug. I also know he's an older dog and so our time with him could be limited. At the same time, he otherwise appears to be very energetic and healthy. He has not lost his appetite, he enjoys playing with our new puppy that we've had a couple of months, and he still loves his 4-5 mile walks I take him on.

At any rate, just thought I would see if any others have experiences to share about treating urinary incontinence in their dogs with Proin, particularly if that dog was a senior male dog. I know it's a more common problem with female dogs, and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who would like to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
We have an adult senior dog, he is around 14 years old. He has also been good about to go out to do his business. Now due to his age, he has been accidents every night. I line his crate with Simple Solution Odor Pads. No mess and no smell, and every easy to change. I had the same problem with my elderly female Maltese. The Vet suggested meds, I said, "no" because, I just feel the meds would be for be for my convenience, and wouldn't be improving the health of my dog.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM

120 posts, read 215,097 times
We had a senior neutered male Springer on Proin for years before he passed away last year of cancer. He would be walking and urine would just start streaming out. Once he started Proin, his incontinence stopped and it made him a much happier dog.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Our old lab Angel did good on it too.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Thanks for the above responses. It is definitely nice to hear from some other dog owners who used Proin with no problems. I also appreciate ElizaTeal's perspective - I tend to be more of the opinion that if science has done something for us that can help us and/or our dogs, I don't see a compelling reason not to use it, but I certainly understand your perspective.

I will report that our dog got through last night without any leakage where he sleeps, although he has seemed to develop some diarrhea. Diarrhea is not really considered a side affect of Proin, so I'm not sure there is an overlap, but I am certainly going to keep watching him closely. Last night was the first time in several weeks where he made it the whole night and no leakage, so maybe the Proin is going to help. Too early to tell, of course, but we'll see. I'll try to update this post for others to see. Of course, still interested in hearing about anyone else's experience with Proin if you would like to share.

Last edited by airjay75; 03-28-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 07:22 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I have a 20 year old Beagle mix named "Buddy" that was on Pronin for his incontinence. It seemed to help him for a while but he still dripped from time to time.

I had to take him off the Pronin two months ago because it seemed to stop him up TOO good. It got to the point where his penis would swell up because he had to go but the muscles wouldn't let him. You could tell he was very uncomfortable but eventually the urine would pass. I took him to the vet after the second episode and they suggested stopping the Pronin.

I now just accept the fact he will have accidents in the house. I have wood flooring so it isn't a big deal to clean up after him. If I were concerned about the flooring I would use a dog diaper rather than go back to Pronin.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,940 times
I have a 12 yr old male Rhodesian Ridgeback and he has been on Proin for several years now. For the most part it has worked very well. We do go through phases where he starts to dribble a little, but those seem to be just a few days here and there. A definite improvement to when I was having to wash his bed 3 times a day!! Most days he only needs 1 tablet a day, but if starts having one of his spells, I up it to twice a day. I remember reading some of the scary posts relating to Proin and those cases are certainly sad and unfortunate, but my feeling is that more people post the horror stories than the successful ones, so I believe those reactions to the med are rare. I would suggest breaking the tablet in half and letting him work up to a full dose over a few days, maybe that will help with the stomach upset. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM

279 posts, read 544,225 times
I have a 3 year old female that has been on Proin since she was 9 months. Gotta love shelters spaying too early. She will be on it for the rest of her life.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I had a dog who was started on Proin at 8 years old, she lived to be 15.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,566 times
Meds arent needed. my boxer had kidney failure in april and she got over that and a month later she starting leaking urine while she slept. i tried everything for 2 months and then accidently stumbled on coconut oil. i gave her a teaspoon a day and she hasnt leaked at all and it has been 2 weeks. i give it to her every other day now just to make sure it doesnt happen again and she loves eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs