Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times

Advertisements

Karma can be a (insert B-word here), ya know. I'd laugh myself silly if, in another lifetime, you came back as a chihuahua who was arthritic, blind, deaf, and just not a very nice dog, never wanted to be patted, was NEVER glad to see you, ignored every instruction, and yapped at shadows. Yeah...I'd just laugh and laugh and laugh.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 AM

45 posts, read 79,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Wow some people are hysterical.

there is 7200 seconds in two hours, that's the potential for 7200 mindless yaps a day. Can you imagine someone sitting next to you doing something really loud and monotonous and annoying, right next to you, every day?
YES!!
take his cell phone away or thank heaven hes not human.

Last edited by GrammyOf5; 04-16-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Chihuahuas are my least favorite dog, right after scotties but it isn't because of the breeds; it's because how people/owners are less-inclined to properly train them. I get it - dogs need manners to be liked. Guess what? So do kitties. And even a bunny can be taught manners.

You live with "nasty" dog. If you don't like his behavior, change it. But do it with love not hate. Hate will not get a dog to WANT to listen to you - just the opposite. If you want to change his behavior, you have to begin with changing yours and your attitude towards him. Approach him as you would a cranky old person who grew up without learning how to interact well with others (not being taught manners is a form of neglect in that it engenders negativity towards him). When you can begin to feel some empathy towards this old dog, then you might be able to effect some changes in his behavior - with love. Remember he is old and it will take more time to earn his trust than with a younger dog just as it will take longer to learn new behaviors (than if he were a young pup). BTW, if none of the dogs are being taught manners, then anything you do with the old dog will be undone by the behaviors of the others.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I can only see one workable solution to this situation. If OP is living there, she needs to find a different place to live and to move to a place where there are no animals. Then she should decline if the dog owner asks her to babysit in the future,

It annoys me, too, when dogs bark for 2 hours straight. That is why I do not allow my dogs to continue barking after the first 30-60 seconds. Once I have been alerted, they are to quit. But that does involve the effort of training them.

If you had asked for advice on how to train a dog not to bark, OP, you would have received advice on training not to bark. Instead you came spewing hatred, so should not be surprised at getting a bad reception from a group of dog lovers.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM

107 posts, read 152,138 times
OP, it is clear that you are frustrated with the barking and are probably feeling a bit "trapped" having to deal with it at this point. Frankly, just five minutes a non-stop barking is enough to get on my nerves, which is why I have put in a lot of time and effort into training each of my pups not to do it...they can bark a few times to let me know someone is near the house, during play, or to communicate that they need to go outside or come back in. ALL of my dogs came to me as major barkers and it definitely took a LOT of time, effort, and patience to teach them not to do it.

I get that you don't have the time to retrain this pup...it sounds as if you need some relatively quick and easy ways to deal with the barking until his mom returns.

I wasn't kidding about the earplugs...they are inexpensive and will block out enough of the noise to make it easier to cope. I use the cylinder-shaped foam ones found at most drugstores and cut them in half because they are too big...they work great and are comfortable...they also fit in a pocket for quick access.

As others have suggested, try to find something else for the dog to do...give him something to gnaw on for a while. If you give him a kong stuffed with peanut butter, you can try freezing it so that it will last longer. Sometimes I hide a few treats in a plastic bottle or stuffed toy for my dogs to spend some time "finding".

Foxy is spot on with her suggestion to take him for walks...it isn't like you will have to run miles with him or anything...just enough to get him some exercise so he will come home and sleep instead of barking. The bonus is that getting out for a walk is good for you too! You might even want to take some treats with you to reward him when he is being quiet.

Also, if he stands at a window and barks, you can always try pulling the shades.

I sincerely hope that you and the pup are able to find something that works for both of you...good luck!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm really enjoying this thread, a chihuahua slamming a door? love it! This little guy sounds loaded with personality, if not surely somewhat annoying.

I won't condemn the OP, she says she's not a dog person, yet she's taking care of the group and coming here to vent about the loud little guy. Just wish she were a little better balanced, I mean does the dog sleep 22 hours a day or bark all day?

If it were me sitting this group, I'd take the little chi as a challenge and try to win him over. I'd give him extra attention. Chis are kinda like cats, you need to work harder to win them over. I'd give him messages and coo at him a bit and if it didn't help, no biggie.

There's another thread about people hating booming car stereos. Maybe I'm less affected by noise or just more tolerant because I don't get the venom some people have for noisy things.
Thank You!

He IS "loaded with personality".

He actually snorts at you if you suggest something he doesn't like, such as a bathroom trip outside, or offer a food he doesn't like and/or can't hide under his blankie.

Me and him get along just fine, by which I mean I leave him the eff alone which is what he wants. People on here don't seem to get that.

The neighbour has known him for 13 years and owns his sister (who is an adorable little pixie) and even she says "noname doesn't like anybody" because it's true. Her little children are trained to keep away from him, he's not known to bite YET but no one's risking it.

Yeah he is kinda funny. I quite often think "you are so lucky you're cute" because he is, he looks like a gremlin and gets the cutest expressions and head tilting going on.

He won't even be patted. There's nothing physically wrong with him, he just doesn't like being patted, never has. Doesn't like kids, doesn't like birds, doesn't like the neighbours, etc.

But yeah he is cute. Especially when he's asleep. Like a toddler. Adorable when it's not screaming.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Poor little dog. How awful for him to spend his senior life living with such intolerance and hate. You want advice? Stop hating him so much. He is a decrepit elderly dog, so you say, though your posts contradict themselves so wildly it's difficult really to know the truth about this little dog.

Elderly dogs need special care. He probably hurts, all over, all the time. That would make anyone grouchy.

And let me tell you, he knows you hate him. And being a dog, he is going to react to all that negativity in..yep..negative ways.

It's not his fault he was never trained properly. Try a little compassion and patience. Try understanding him, instead of hating him.

When he barks, distract him with some quiet friendly one on one attention .

Perhaps by the time he gets to the door, he forgets why he wanted to be there. Pick him up and take him outside. Put him down gently. Encourage him to trot around the yard a little, then give him a treat (hand fed) and take him back inside.

Always, handle him gently. Always.

Find out what kind of games he likes to play, and play them. Even old dogs like to play. They just need the games to be gentle and of shorter duration.

Feed him what he likes to eat, with patience and kindness. Make a ritual of it. Use meal times to bond with him.

There are so many things you could be doing to bond with this dog, to make things easier on both of you.

Leave your hate at the curb, it is causing him a lot of stress and making his behavior worse. He's an innocent animal who was never trained properly. It's not his fault.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Poor little dog. How awful for him to spend his senior life living with such intolerance and hate. You want advice? Stop hating him so much. He is a decrepit elderly dog, so you say, though your posts contradict themselves so wildly it's difficult really to know the truth about this little dog.

Elderly dogs need special care. He probably hurts, all over, all the time. That would make anyone grouchy.

And let me tell you, he knows you hate him. And being a dog, he is going to react to all that negativity in..yep..negative ways.

It's not his fault he was never trained properly. Try a little compassion and patience. Try understanding him, instead of hating him.

When he barks, distract him with some quiet friendly one on one attention .

Perhaps by the time he gets to the door, he forgets why he wanted to be there. Pick him up and take him outside. Put him down gently. Encourage him to trot around the yard a little, then give him a treat (hand fed) and take him back inside.

Always, handle him gently. Always.

Find out what kind of games he likes to play, and play them. Even old dogs like to play. They just need the games to be gentle and of shorter duration.

Feed him what he likes to eat, with patience and kindness. Make a ritual of it. Use meal times to bond with him.

There are so many things you could be doing to bond with this dog, to make things easier on both of you.

Leave your hate at the curb, it is causing him a lot of stress and making his behavior worse. He's an innocent animal who was never trained properly. It's not his fault.
Again, he's a dog not a toddler.

I do feed him what he wants. He never had a bbq chicken before I gave it to him, now he won't eat anything else.

How can you bond with something that cringes away from you if you touch it?

It's not just me btw. This dog is like this by nature.

Should I try and change his nature? At the end of his life? Or just try to find ways to stop him yapping...which is what the thread is about.

Irony is lost on Americans btw. The thread is "all over the place" because I use sarcasm and irony.

Yep I could have dogs in every pocket, under every armpit, wagging their tails and licking my face (I DO!!!), yet I'm a bad dog carer because of one grumpy old chihuahua.

I love animals. They love me, all of them, except this one. Hence, asking for advice while he barks, grunts, and farts away to his hearts content.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
~sigh~

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM

The garbage truck just came around and he was inexplicably silent BUT he did go out front and do his usual routine with the neighbours.

Perhaps he realises he's got on my very last nerve. I doubt it.

His mom is home tonight so you can all rest easy. He only has to put up with me for a few more hours.

I won't have to turn him into fertiliser after all.

JOKE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs