Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

I just got some for the dog. She's biting and scratching again. I know it is not the food because we have her on the same food for the last few bags. It may be the salt/ice melt they use in our complex.

Anyone ever use this stuff and did it work for your dog? She didn't like the first quirt I managed to get on her and is dodging me now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
Is it a balm/salve for the paws and nose? Sorry I'm not familiar with the product but I do know it's very important to wash your dogs paws after walking on any outside surfaces treated with ice melt and/or salt. It's highly irritating and some icemelt products are actually toxic.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Depending on the area, you can also soak her in Epsom salts to ease the scratching/itching. After that, I would consider booties for outside.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 PM

It's actually a spray. (tea tree).
She'd chew off booties.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's actually a spray. (tea tree).
She'd chew off booties.
Even outside?! Holy moly! That's a shame, as it may have alleviated your woes.
Tee tree is very good for irritation but I have found that it works better on hotspots. Moreover, if she is going out every day (which she obviously is), then the tea tree isn't going to do much for her as she will be "reinfecting" herself everytime she goes outside.
It may be from the salt. I don't know how long you have had her but if she has the condition in the summer, then you obviously know that it isn't the salt.
A friend of mine's dog had a similar problem (allergies/dermatitis, I believe) and she soaked her pups feet in Epsom salts.
I think that the next step should be to get a proper diagnosis from a vet. If it is dermatitis, I would continue with the tea tree and Epsom salts and ask the vet about Derm meds. If it is the salt, then I would keep her paws as clean as you can (washing them off with a gentle soap after you've been outside) and try to find booty alternatives.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM

We had a similar problem in November. We took her to the vet and got antibiotics. There was no snow back then, not sure what caused it.

She's due a year check up in Feb. Hoping to get her there for that and this. They wind up 'charging us' for something no matter what on top of the checkup (always find something they can sting us a few extra of out).

Wouldn't mind but these are tough financial times right now.

Our little gal is very 'attention seeking' and gets bored very, very easily. Even with frequent walks and playtime she is 'extremely needy.' I think some of this is psychological. (if there is such a thing with a dog).

We've had her on the same food now for weeks, so I don't think it's that (premium food). I notice she is shedding a lot again (my next dog will NOT be a Lab (lol).

Do labs have a lot of skin issues? So far in 2 years we've had 2 ear problems and now the 2 skin problems.

We're making a point of really wiping her down when she comes in.

Maybe it's a cold climate thing?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We had a similar problem in November. We took her to the vet and got antibiotics. There was no snow back then, not sure what caused it.

She's due a year check up in Feb. Hoping to get her there for that and this. They wind up 'charging us' for something no matter what on top of the checkup (always find something they can sting us a few extra of out).

Wouldn't mind but these are tough financial times right now.

Our little gal is very 'attention seeking' and gets bored very, very easily. Even with frequent walks and playtime she is 'extremely needy.' I think some of this is psychological. (if there is such a thing with a dog).

We've had her on the same food now for weeks, so I don't think it's that (premium food). I notice she is shedding a lot again (my next dog will NOT be a Lab (lol).

Do labs have a lot of skin issues? So far in 2 years we've had 2 ear problems and now the 2 skin problems.

We're making a point of really wiping her down when she comes in.

Maybe it's a cold climate thing?
It doesn't sound like the salt is causing it--it sounds like Dermatitis.

Treating Dogs with Dermatitis

I would continue with the tea tree and soak her in Epsom salts as well as wash her paws off with a very gentle soap (oatmeal shampoo, maybe even Head and Shoulders) every time she goes outside. And I would seriously reconsider the booties, not for inside but for when she goes out. I wouldn't use them until the issue has cleared up (b/c pup will absolutely chew them off) but consider using them daily to avoid recurrences after the issue has resolved itself.

What was the vet's diagnosis? I wonder b/c vet's also prescribe corticosteroids for skin issues, which I think are much more effective, especially for recurring issues. Did your pup respond well to the antibiotics? I imagine that you are like me and would rather not use antibiotics (or anything else "unnatural"). But if the situation is getting worse, and your pup has responded well to them in the past, you might want to reconsider. And then use the booties and soak her in Epsoms twice a week, dry thoroughly (that is especially important) and then apply the tea tree afterwards to dry skin.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,713 times
StarlaJane,
It's not just Labs who go through the itching and hair loss. Our Doberman looks like he's got mange, but he doesn't. The vet told us that it's a food allergy and to take him off grain. I won't bore you with the gyrations we went through to no avail, but we're keeping him on premium foods and I douse him in Be Soothed. Once I have his back and sides quite wet, I go in with my fingers to rub it into his skin and it seems to work, thankfully. I just wish we knew what's going on with him because his fur used to be glossy and nice. Poor dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs