Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
Our dog started doing this not long after we rescued him. We took him to the vet and found out he had a UTI. That was treated with no problems but for the longest time he associated the pain with trying to go pee with our yard. I would have to carry him (he's a dachshund thank goodness) down the road a bit before he would consider doing anything. We gradually got closer and closer to home and now he is OK. He still won't go on longer grass though, tickles the belly or something I guess!

Veuvegirl, I'm with you. I live in Texas too and no way would I leave my dog outside in this heat, especially if they are not used to it.
Aw poor pup! Ours won't go on the grass either. She is all about the pavement which is another quandary. Our old house had no sidewalks, and we would take her for a walk she went in the middle of the street. Now she is the same way. If she goes for a walk, she'll pull into the middle of the street to go, it cracks me up! However, this heat the pavement is scorching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,797 times
Take the dog outside on a leash and walk it away from the house until it eliminates outside. It really is just that simple!

Dogs will only do what we teach them they must do, and if you won't take the time and make the effort.... then you get what you give.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Take the dog outside on a leash and walk it away from the house until it eliminates outside. It really is just that simple!

Dogs will only do what we teach them they must do, and if you won't take the time and make the effort.... then you get what you give.
It's not that simple. She sits down and won't move, should I drag her down the pavement? I get what you are saying, but truly it isn't always that easy.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:55 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,797 times
So take her away from her comfort zone and just let her sit there if she wants to. Eventually she will get up and take a couple of steps, follow her. That would be the long way to do it, but it will work eventually.

Or, take her away, put a slip lead on her, put it up behind her ears and give her a couple of little light jerks and start walking. It's the rare dog that would rather be drug around. Oh she might pitch a fit... ignore her and keep walking. As soon as she give up that fight, give her a little pat on the head and keep walking.

This is not something cruel and unusual you are asking of this dog, you are asking it to walk. That's all. She can do it if you decide she can, and will, do it.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,745 times
With the potty thing, I think you are dealing with a substrate preference issue. Substrate preference is simply about what the dog is accustomed to feeling under her feet when she eliminates. It sounds like she has developed a strong substrate preference for indoor flooring and pavement, and that she does not associate grass with potties at all. You can either work to change that substrate preference or you can work with it. The way you'd change it is to prevent her from pottying on indoor flooring or pavement and reward her for pottying on grass. We can talk about strategies for accomplishing that if you want, but maybe you'd prefer to work with her already-conditioned substrate preference because it might be easier. The way to work with it would be to provide her a paved area in the yard where she is to eliminate. The area could be hosed down regularly for cleanup.

As far as getting her to move when she's outside, one mistake people make is looking at the dog. When you go out with her and look at her, you are telling her "I'm looking to you to tell me what we are doing, I will follow your lead". Instead, I recommend going out in the yard with her for about 15 minutes several times a day and just do your own thing. Walk around, sit in the shade, do some yard work, whatever. But as you do all of this, focus on what you're doing, not what she's doing. When you walk, look where you're going, not back at the dog. You might even want to pretend you've found something on the ground. Get down and sniff a spot on the grass! If she comes over to see what you're up to, make it rewarding for her. Whatever she finds rewarding, that's what you should give her when she makes even the smallest step toward progress.

If you are putting this dog out in the yard alone, I don't see how you'll ever reach your goals. You've got to go out with her at this point. Might give you better insight into why she doesn't want to be out there. And sometimes the why is very important. If she doesn't like to go for walks, and you are concerned that she's not getting enough exercise, get creative and come up with other ways for her to exercise. I'm sure the fabulous dog forum posters could give you some great ideas for activities.

I hope you have had her checked over by the vet recently. If she is lethargic and having frequent accidents in the house, it is best to have a vet rule out medical causes for these problems.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Thank you K9 great advice as always! The pavement is hot outside which is my belief she is hesitant. If I carry her to the grass she is fine romps around and has fun. She will pee, but nothing else.

However since pavement is her potty preference, it has made summer very challenging. I took her out tonight, dropped her in the grass a block away, and she dragged back to the house. (A whole other issue trying to find a harness or collar she can't slip out of).

Old 07-10-2014, 05:59 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,001,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Thank you K9 great advice as always! The pavement is hot outside which is my belief she is hesitant. If I carry her to the grass she is fine romps around and has fun. She will pee, but nothing else.

However since pavement is her potty preference, it has made summer very challenging. I took her out tonight, dropped her in the grass a block away, and she dragged back to the house. (A whole other issue trying to find a harness or collar she can't slip out of).
You may have to use both a harness and collar and two leashes.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Is there a possibility she has issues with walking? Like nerve pain or nerve damage? I've never known a dog to allow themselves to be dragged.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,745 times
I'm picturing a light colored concrete / cement area in your yard. We actually have a little path like that in our yard, I bet she'd like to potty on it and the light color should mean it doesn't heat up in the sun the way blacktop does. Veuvegirl - your pup is small right? Maybe a little square of concrete in the yard wouldn't be too expensive and would be just what she needs to get her potty training on track?

For a dog that does not enjoy walks, I don't think I'd start working on it in the middle of summer in Texas when we already suspect the heat is likely a factor in what makes her not like walks. I'd worry that we're creating even more of a negative association every time she's forced and then when the weather cools down in the fall we won't have set ourselves up for success because she's got a history of bad memories associated with walks..

If she seems generally miserable outside, I'd first focus on getting her more comfortable (and potty trained) in your own yard. Again, this means going out with her every time and doing everything you can to make each outing as pleasant as possible, which includes providing shade and perhaps that light colored concrete area if you're able. The other part of the strategy is to not focus on her too much but instead create a scenario that tempts her to follow your lead of having fun outside.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 AM

Thanks all. She doesn't have nerve pain, she likes to walk, sometimes. We play a lot inside, she is fine! I really think it is the heat since the behavior just started with the walks.

We have a pool deck which doesn't get very hot, she will go here occasionally. We reward her every time she goes outside. She will go inside right in front of me, which I tell her no, bad dog, try and get her to go outside. I have never had a puppy like this!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs