Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:04 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,291 times

Advertisements

This is long, at least for me, so bear with me.

We just moved into a new house two months ago and the family member who has benefited the most is the dog. Or, so we thought. We have two daughters, 3 and 1, and I've been so busy with the two of them that the poor dog (a boxer) has had a pretty sedentary life the past year. The poor guy was lucky to get a real walk once a week; he usually got these sad, mini walks. Now that we're in a new house in a nicer neighborhood and I'm a lot better at juggling the two girls, my dog gets 2-3 real walks a day. And, one of those usually involves a nice round of fetch. I also let him out to go potty on the side of the house midday while the kids are napping.

So, my problem is that he has peed on the carpet twice now and he peed on my clothes the other day. My dog is nearing 6 years and has been solidly house trained the whole time. I'm guessing this is stress related, but what's killing me is that his life has improved exponentially.

I'll take him to the vet to rule out any medical issues, but does anyone have any further insight into what might be going on? This has been the 2nd move in the past 16 months, as our last place was temporary while we house hunted. I also know I need to catch him in the act to dole out any punishment, but it's hard to watch him and 2 whirling dervishes all the time. Do I need to pull out his crate? He hasn't really liked it that much the past couple of years. I feel like I need a doggy therapist.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
We just moved into a new house two months ago
That may be your answer right there .

We moved when one of my dogs was 2 years old, and she was housebroken. We moved, and all of a sudden she forgot everything she knew .

I had to train her all over again. There was no other change in her life other than the move, so here was this nice big house, but I guess she didn't reconize it as her den, so she peed in it . I retrained her and all was well.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Once you catch him in the act & correct him I bet he will be ok. Katie & I moved into a new apt in March she did the same thing as you are describing. Once I cought her in the act & told her NO she was fine..it was like she said Oh I cant go where I want here... Not had a problem since!! Maybe til you can watch him you should crate him.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
We had the same experience when we moved into a new-to-us house. My dog peed on the carpet half a dozen times in the first month in spite of his big new yard to play in!

We learned that the previous owners had had puppies in the year before they sold the house and there must have been evidence of previous pee spots that my guy felt the need to answer. After some consistent retraining, he was back on track.

I still don't really trust him in the carpetted basement though. He does way too much sniffing down there...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:48 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,237 times
look at it this way. your dog was house trained in your house ....never trust him in a new house and do a crash class of potty training. Back to "yay puppy you went outside" and give him a cookie when he does. If he learned it once he can learn it again.

sounds like quality of life is better ....good for you! Heres my next thought. With walks and exercise comes water consumption SO maybe he needs to go out more now that he's live'n it up?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM

74 posts, read 366,684 times
i have similar problems with my pug....when she gets mad at me, she actually pees on my bed/pillows.

i have tried correcting her, but she is very stubborn if she doesn't get things "her way" or the attention she feels she needs 24/7. she's is a little human, i swear. i started keeping the door closed to my bedroom when i am not around and bought a baby gate and keep her gated off in the laundry room when i am not home. (i cant just shut the door because she scratches it and ruins the doors).

in the laundry room, i keep her dog bed. she doesn't pee on her own bed and this has seemed to solve the problem.

good luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,423 times
Sounds like you got some good advice!

Now if I could just figure how to keep my male terrier from peeing on the Christmas tree every year!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Amy your dog is the boss not you!!! Shes telling you shes pack leader & she will do as she pleases...shes not mad at you. But you sure dont have her trained as much as she has You trained!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Sounds like you got some good advice!

Now if I could just figure how to keep my male terrier from peeing on the Christmas tree every year!
You cant cause to him its something he IS to pee on...trees dont belong inside. & other dogs have peed on it to I bet!!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
My 3 year old Mastiff, Motley started to pee in the house and we were very puzzled. Took him to the vet and sure enough he had a urinary infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs