Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 AM

521 posts, read 733,569 times

Advertisements

We are moving to a golf course where it's against the rules to build a fence along the back ( can only have plants at 3' or less). We do have an option of building a side yard with a 5' wall for the dogs but someone had mentioned installing a wireless fence. I can't see that working for our dogs. We have the 3 shepherds and when they see something (Roosters usually) they want to chase. Does anyone have experience with these working or not working for high energy, strong-willed dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I live in an area where many neighborhoods don't allow fences, so quite a few of my friends have invisible fences. Experiences are mixed.

Some dogs do very well and others do not. High energy dogs often run through the "zap" then can't get back into the yard because they get shocked when they try.

One of my friends has two bulldog mixes that she adopted. Even after following the training program both dogs constantly ran through the "zap" and into the street.

Another family's beagle ran through the fence and into the street and killed in front of their two kids. The boys said the dog saw a rabbit. This dog had always minded the invisible fence previously.

Our neighbors across the street forget to change the battery until their dog escapes the yard.

Animal control and the humane society here both report many of the dogs they pick up are wearing invisible fence collars.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:00 AM

521 posts, read 733,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I live in an area where many neighborhoods don't allow fences, so quite a few of my friends have invisible fences. Experiences are mixed.

Some dogs do very well and others do not. High energy dogs often run through the "zap" then can't get back into the yard because they get shocked when they try.

One of my friends has two bulldog mixes that she adopted. Even after following the training program both dogs constantly ran through the "zap" and into the street.

Another family's beagle ran through the fence and into the street and killed in front of their two kids. The boys said the dog saw a rabbit. This dog had always minded the invisible fence previously.

Our neighbors across the street forget to change the battery until their dog escapes the yard.

Animal control and the humane society here both report many of the dogs they pick up are wearing invisible fence collars.
Yes this is what I'm worried about! It just takes one time for the dog to get out and I could see mine leaving and then not being able to get back. Or getting hit by a car. I'm thinking more and more of just building a little walled-in side yard. Thank you for the feedback!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:41 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

I'm not a fan for all of the reasons listed above.

They don't always work, and they don't prevent other dogs or animals from entering your yard either (or people either, who could steal or hurt your dog)

Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
I'm on another dog forum pretty regularly, and one of the unintended consequences is that the dog may associate other dogs or animals as "causing" the zap if they go to "greet" them at the fence zone, creating a dog that becomes hostile to other dogs (or animals) that come close to the yard based on a learned action/response sequence.

I would look into a run or a kennel, depending on what the association allows.

For what it's worth, my sister has small dogs (Bichons), and has used invisable fencing for years with good results. I have two 60 pounders, one of which is lightning fast with an astronomical prey drive - an invisible fence would be asking for all sorts of trouble in my case.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
We had an invisible fence and it didn't work for my chaser- he would go right through if something was tempting enough. And I have small dogs. Now I just commit to walking them multiple times a day.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
My sister had a large fenced back yard and in one corner was a beautiful garden with a stream and waterfall that ran into a little fish pond.Really beautiful area so they wanted to keep their two dogs, a large mutt and and a Bernese Mountain dog out of it so put one of the invisible fences around it. Worked great with the Mutt he would get that warning sound and turn away and really just started avoiding that part of the yard. As for the Berner it did not work at all as she LOVED to lay in the little stream and she was willing to put up with the shock to go in and even come back out. Having seen that convinced me I would never trust my dogs saftey to one of those fences just more risk then I am willing to take with a beloved dog as all it takes is one time and one car.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
seen too many dogs just run right through them and then refuse to come home...plus it doesn't keep other animals OUT...
if a fence is a no go personally id do an above head trolly system tieout like

and supervise dog when out as those again don't prevent other animals, kids, ect from coming into the yard.

id probably also plant a hedge of something thorny (ie barberry) that can be trimmed and kept at the 3' height allowed to help keep unwanted visitors of most kinds out...plant close together and eventually itll be a nice living fence... but until then id go with a trolley tieout rather than trust to an underground fence.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:49 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I've had really positive results and I own GSP's and Basenji's- high prey drive dogs.

A lot of good info is in this thread- http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...dog-fence.html

Old 08-12-2014, 05:32 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I've heard the invisible fences don't work that great. As other posters have mentioned, if the dog manages to get out, they don't want to get zapped to get back in, so it actually trains them to avoid coming home. Very bad idea, IMO. Then you have the problem of other animals getting in. Finally, you don't know if there are worn/broken areas to your invisible fence since the fence is, well, invisible. I think the head trolley system is better, or better still, build a high fence around the HOA president, since he/she decided outlawing fences for homeowners was acceptable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs