Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,892 times

Advertisements

On top of food and medicine, I also spent $150 per month for a dog walker (three days a week at lunch time) and $240 per month for doggie daycare (two days a week). This is because we both works ~9-10 hours a day. I guess we spent ~$500/month for my GSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
Aside from the costs, I want to hijack this thread for a second. I wanted to recommend to you check the local shelters for a dog or rescue groups for your breed first before you research a professional breeder. You might find you will fall in love with one that you never thought you would! First time owners never realize there are shelters and rescue organizations out there that can be very useful and good place to get a dog. LOL

Stay away from puppy stores or backyard breeders!

Ok, I'm done now.

Last edited by deegers; 01-02-2008 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Aside from the costs, I want to hijack this thread for a second. I wanted to recommend to you check the local shelters for a dog or rescue groups for your breed first before you research a professional breeder. You might find you will fall in love with one that you never thought you would! First time owners never realize there shelters and rescue organizations out there that can be very useful and goo place to get a dog. LOL

Ok, I'm done now.

Excellent idea!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Aside from the costs, I want to hijack this thread for a second. I wanted to recommend to you check the local shelters for a dog or rescue groups for your breed first before you research a professional breeder. You might find you will fall in love with one that you never thought you would! First time owners never realize there shelters and rescue organizations out there that can be very useful and goo place to get a dog. LOL

Ok, I'm done now.
Agreed...I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Recycled pets are the best!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
This page has some great information on annual dog ownership costs as estimated for a lab. And please don't skimp out on the heartworm preventative medication.

Cost of Owning a Lab (broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 12:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Don't skimp on ANY of the vaccinations. You will pay in the end.

To get rid of the heartworm is very expensive, don't they have to have arsenic administered to the dog - or something like that?

I really commend the OP on thinking about the costs BEFORE they get the dog. Too many people don't worry about that till afterward. Then have to give the dog/cat up cause they can't afford it. Sounds like a good step towards responsible pet ownership. (love airedales - one neighbor used to have one - what a character he was)

Old 01-02-2008, 03:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
I just checked "quicken" to see what i spent last year.

$460.00 [ave per month $39]

that includes his annual check up ($180) toys, bones, food, poop bag refills, flea collars... everything that i kept a receipt for (dh doesnt save receipts, but i do most the shopping)

so ... that's pretty right on.

-- i just checked from when we purchased him as a pup ... so that includes the cost of the crate, all new bowls, leashes, initial Vet visit [shots] bedding, ect.
$2200 over 4 yrs, average $46 per month.

Our dog is always like one of our children ... we really do not spare expense. They are a part of the family, not just an animal.... so to me, the cost is irreverent.

But -- yes, it is good to see someone figuring what it is going to cost before jumping in. I knew someone who actually had 3 dogs and could barely afford to cloth her kids.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
I completely agree with the other posters concerning the higher cost of puppies. Vaccinations will run around $100 total and require at least 3 visits between the age of 8 weeks and 16 weeks. You will need an additional rabies booster, but not until the puppy is a year old. I also would buy the best puppy food you can find for the first year to 18 months because when they are developing is when they will need it the most. Personally, I use Chicken Soup, which runs slightly more than $1/pound.

Buy a lot of baby carrots. Whenever your puppy begins chewing on something that is inappropriate (and all puppies will), stick a baby carrot in their mouth. Buy two or three toys of the appropriate size for your puppy which shouldn't cost you more than $20 to $30. Floss rope is a good toy, as they pull on the rope it cleans their teeth. I would hold off giving your puppy bones or anything hard to chew until they are at least a year old and they have replaced most of their baby teeth. The typical age to spay/neuter a puppy is between 5 and 8 months and shouldn't cost you more than $100.

After the puppy is a year to 18 months old (particularly if it is a male, they take longer to developed), then you can cut back on the expensive dog food and get them toys and bones that can endure a good hard chewing (e.g., nylabones, kongs, etc.) Treats for rewarding good behavior will vary in cost, depending on the frequency you hand them out. I use pig's ears as a reward for good behavior and spend about $15 to $20 per month for two dogs.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,175 times
For our two adopted terrier mixes, less than 1k a year for both, so per dog:

Annual vet check-up: $150.00
Heartworm meds: 50.00
Advantage: 80.00
Food (kibble + chicken breast): 175.00
Milk Bones & Chewies: 25.00
Shampoo: 2.50

They don't like toys, will eat only Milk Bones & rawhide chewies, and I bathe & groom them myself. When it's warm, I walk them to dry off, when it's cool, we blow dry...they love it!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,040 times
I spend way to much but 4 out of 5 are bloodhounds..

50 pounds dog food every 8 days, treats, Heart Guard and Frontline plus dogs from 45 pounds my english setter to 115 my neutered male.
Then treats, ear and eye wash, vaccinations, leashes, collars, ripped up shoes, hats,gloves, backpacks and whatever else kids leave lay around like eye glasses and retainers.

Fencing for yard as I hate chained up dogs, toys and mine like to wreck em all so add's up.Emergency vet cost (God forbid anything bad happen and need it) Spay/neuter grooming supplies and tools unless go to groomer.

Now pupy chow and goats milk as just had a litter so feed puppy chow and goat milk to mom and babies.

Mostly depends on size of dog how expensive food brand you will feed and average vetting in your area. Think of it like this your children cost you how much a month? Take about same amount for dog as part of family and we all spoil em just like we do our kids and only want the best for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs