Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 745 times

Advertisements

I recently adopted a 8wk old boxer/shephard mix. Purchased a crate that large enough for him to be able to sit up and move around. He seems to manage to some how pee in his kennel. Everytime i get him out of his crate when i get home from work he pee's in his kennel. He has mastered going to the back door and waiting to be let out to go outside. We take him outside allot. So basically he only pees when he's inside his kennel while i'm at work, and when ever we take him outside. If i buy a deterant spray and spray it in his kennel, will that stop him from peeing in his crate? i'm open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:44 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
How long is he being left in the kennel while you are at work? At 8 weeks his little bladder is not capable of holding his pee for 8+ hours. Is there any way to stop by the house on your lunch to let him out or perhaps hire a neighbor to let him out halfway thru your work day?

Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
agreed.... 8 weeks is still a baby and he is not capable of holding it more than a couple or three hours at a time.....

Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
At 8 weeks old your little pup is still a baby; he isn't capable of holding his bladder for the 8+ hours you are at work. The fact that he does it when you are home and has learned to go to the door to ask to go out is awesome- what a good boy he is!

It simply isn't fair to him though to leave him for 8 hours in a urine-soaked crate. Do you have a relative, neighbor, or pet-sitter who can come to let him out mid-day?

Old 12-22-2014, 05:47 PM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
You need to have someone take him out 1/2 way through the day... Or more often if you can afford it/get someone to do it.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:35 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
general rule of thumb is a puppy can hold their bladder 1 hour for each month of age...
so an 8 week old puppy can go about 2 hours before its gotta go potty again. and even then they have to learn how to hold it...that's not an inborn skill...

a crate should be big enough to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably, but NOT large enough to be able to move around freely/lay a one end pee at another ect...
it might be worth potty pad training him during the day while your at work until hes old enough to hold it longer than a couple of hours.

the spray wont do anything because hes not doing it on purpoe...hes simply doing it because he Physically CANT hold it more than a ouple of hours at a time.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Agreed with the others in that the pup can't hold it while you're at work. This might be unpopular, but I'd get a big crate (or isolate him in a tiled-floor room) and allow the puppy access to the entire crate/area. Give the puppy enough room to potty on one side and sleep on the other side. Until he's able to hold it for the duration of a work day, he needs to be isolated, yet given a little more room to get away from the potty area.

Now once he CAN hold it, you can put him in a crate that suits his size. Then, I would think, he'll hold it.

Just a thought.

I have a 12-week old English Bulldog and I'm keeping her in a large crate. She pottys in her crate while I'm at work, as I live alone and I cannot come home at lunch. i clean her and the crate every single day when I get home. When I'm off work and she's not crated, she is pretty great at waiting to potty outside. As she gets bigger, she'll grow into her crate and her bladder will get stronger. I'm hoping she'll learn (and want) to hold it when she's able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs