Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 PM

917 posts, read 1,385,347 times

Advertisements

So I am house sitting/dog sitting for my mom.

MY dog goes outside right before I go to bed… Goes for a quick walk and goes to the restroom. Sleeps for the rest of the night, wakes up when I do and goes outside again. (She's staying there with me obviously)

My mom’s dog goes out 4x a night. She jumps on the bed, barks and digs at the blankets to get my attention. Problem is she only goes out to bark and sniff around. My mom says she does this all the time.

If it’s not too cold (Im in Texas) she’ll be outside for most of the day while I am at work (in the backyard). I take them for a walk when I get home (again if it’s not too cold). If it is, I play with them in the house so they can run around and exercise a bit.

Is this normal dog behavior? Going out just to bark? It’s driving me nuts and Im losing sleep. I cant really ignore her when she asks to go out because she might really need to go out to the restroom.

Anything I can do? I have to deal with this for another week!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Your mom obviously allowed it, so the pup sees nothing wrong with it. It's only normal in that your mom perpetuated the behavior. You could try to retrain her this week, but she'll very likely just go back to her old ways as soon as your mom returns.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Your mom obviously allowed it, so the pup sees nothing wrong with it. It's only normal in that your mom perpetuated the behavior. You could try to retrain her this week, but she'll very likely just go back to her old ways as soon as your mom returns.
Thing is when we adopted her, she was trained very well.

Now, not so much. Example, if I ever have dinner at my parents house, her dog sits there in the dining room right by the table. My dog doesn’t. She might stroll in but I tell her “OUT” and she steps out. My mom says she does this because she’s scared of me. My dog doesn’t bark as much and my mom also says it’s because she’s scared of me. My dog barks just doesn’t bark at everything lol.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:16 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
It's perfectly normal for a dog that is allowed to do it.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Yeah, I'm totally with you but I'm assuming that your mom's dog is with your mom most of the time, right? Dogs adapt to who they're with. With my dog, we were together 24/7 (I work from home) and his behavior, when my husband would get home after work, changed to adapt to that new dynamic. They get used to their people -- and that extends to what they can and can't do when their people are around.

Dogs are creatures of habit. They thrive on routine. If waking your mom up four times per night was not ever stopped (by your mom), the dog sees nothing wrong with it, because that's her routine.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Yeah, I'm totally with you but I'm assuming that your mom's dog is with your mom most of the time, right? Dogs adapt to who they're with. With my dog, we were together 24/7 (I work from home) and his behavior, when my husband would get home after work, changed to adapt to that new dynamic. They get used to their people -- and that extends to what they can and can't do when their people are around.

Dogs are creatures of habit. They thrive on routine. If waking your mom up four times per night was not ever stopped (by your mom), the dog sees nothing wrong with it, because that's her routine.
Oh yeah... As soon as my mom gets home from work, she sits on her shoulders on the couch. She never leaves her side. I guess I just have to put up with it but it' tough

Old 01-05-2015, 03:31 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,361,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It's perfectly normal for a dog that is allowed to do it.
That really sums it up. I'd say grin and bear it this week and then tell your mom you don't want to dog sit again. I know that isn't easy to do, but you're an adult now. You can be assertive without starting a fight. Tell your mom how her dog's behavior affected you, your sleep, your work, etc. Then you might see if you can teach her how to retrain her dog, because you appear to be pretty good at raising a well behaved dog.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:49 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Question really is Can you Train your Mom?

Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,686,976 times
If I were you, and I had to get up and go to work in the morning, I'd put the dog in another room (without carpet), and ignore any barking that happened in the middle of the night (using earplugs if necessary).

I was dog-sitting for a friend a while back. The dog sleeps in my friend's bed at her home, but it was understood that the dog would not be sleeping in my bed during that week. The first night, I put the dog (and his doggie bed) in my bathroom, closed the door, and the dog barked for what seemed like the whole night (thankfully I'm retired and my husband was working out of town, so the noise was not a big deal). Night #2, the dog barked for about 10 minutes, then not another peep all night. All the rest of the week, and every time I've dog-sat since then, the dog is perfectly quiet after I put him in my bathroom.

So, perhaps you will have similar success if you set your boundaries with mom's dog.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Your moms dog does that because she allows it. I have a good friend that is too lax with his dog and he lets his dog pretty much do what ever it wants too and to be honest it is annoying , his dog is a brat and I am starting to not enjoy being around them as much. My dogs have manners and do as I tell them too and that is the type of dog I want to be around not some dog that is allowed to do as it pleases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs