Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:36 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I live in PA and have never heard of this. I tried seaching all the PA web pages and SPCA pages and cannot find any info at all.

In truth, it would kind of stupid for someone with a 10-year-old dog with a docked tail to have to come up with documentation as to who did it, and I doubt that that could happen. But on the other hand, if there is indeed legislation similar to this being passed, it would protect dogs from do-it-yourselfers that inflict more harm than good.
The one in PA has not been publically released yet, and that is why you can't find anything on it.

There are also 11 initiatives being proposed in VA this year, and at least 9 are very bad and two are based on lack of education by those proposing them, one could be good but too open too interpretation, only one has been assigned a bill number for research. Only one in VA so far has been publically released and the rest are pending. PA is running the same right now with this proposal.

It is in the planning stages as of now.

American Kennel Club - Pennsylvania Governor to Propose Rewrite of State Dog Law and New Proposed Dog Law Regulations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
I wouldn't choose to dock my dogs tail - I kinda like the "natural" look, even on dogs that typically have a docked tail. But I did adopt a stray which had a docked tail. Would that now be illegal if I lived in Pennsylvania? If so, what does that mean for dogs with docked tails in shelters and rescues? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
[quote=Katie1;2470627]PA has lots of puppy mills I tend to agree that the docking & dewclaw removale should be done by a vet. I also agree that proof that a vet did the procedure should be on the breeders not the person buying the pup/dog. These puppies should be checked on by local animal control. I have seen people use rubberbands to do docking. The tail gets infected and the pups scream in pain for weeks.[/QUOTE

i certainly hope you would turn someone in for that! there is no excuse for that kind of behavior and there should be a law to put those kind of people in jail.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:08 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
That was years ago I dont have a clue if the practice still goes on...but banding tails was an exceptable practice back then. Banding was also used in castration of livestock back then or so I was told.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Some breeders dock their own pups tails..but not all do it humanely. Most breeders remove declaws too. Not sure I know any breeder doing there own c-sections tho...or even ears!!
So it would seem that this proposal is trying to eliminate that very thing from happening - stopping breeders from saving a few bucks by performing surgeries in their kitchen and requiring them to have it done by a qualified professional.

Really, it sounds good to me.

If you adopted or purchased a dog whose tail was already docked, you would just keep the documentation proving that the dog was already in that condition. If you already have a dog in that condition, I'm sure a vet could note it on your dog's records.....I'm sure these scenarios will be considered so people who live in PA and currently have dogs with docked tails won't be penalized.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Lets hope so Riveree! The things we do to animals for STYLE!!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:54 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So it would seem that this proposal is trying to eliminate that very thing from happening - stopping breeders from saving a few bucks by performing surgeries in their kitchen and requiring them to have it done by a qualified professional.

Really, it sounds good to me.

If you adopted or purchased a dog whose tail was already docked, you would just keep the documentation proving that the dog was already in that condition. If you already have a dog in that condition, I'm sure a vet could note it on your dog's records.....I'm sure these scenarios will be considered so people who live in PA and currently have dogs with docked tails won't be penalized.

You'd think so, wouldn't you. At the very least, you'd hope that a law would be reasonably enforced and applied. It's funny how laws, once passed, can take on a life of their own and grow like cancers, invading wherever they can.

I do agree with you riveree, and your comments. It sounds like such a good law in many ways.

I personally don't believe in docking or ear cropping and wish that nobody would do it. However, if it's going to be done (as in many sporting breeds, for example, supposedly for "working" reasons), then a vet should do it. And the people who are aware of such a law might have the wherewithall to carry documentation with them in the car when they are travelling with their dog(s). But, what of the people who don't know, and don't have this law in their state, and are passing through? What about the dog that has lost its tail due to a mishap of some sort?

What of the people who can't locate a breeder any longer, or who can't get documentation after the fact because the vet has retired and moved, or died.

What should also be of concern is that the law would place the burden of proof on the pet owner who should be presumed innocent until proven guilty and would now be presumed guilty and have to prove his/her innocence. That's backward, and compromises the integrity of the Constitution and basic human rights.

Last edited by swbtoo; 01-13-2008 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: add line

Old 01-14-2008, 04:35 AM

Oh gosh I need to cover the old clients that got cockers off me!! Tho they would be 10 yrs old & older! [This will place a hardship on the breeders too...] I hope they take old dogs into consideration too!!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

What of the people who can't locate a breeder any longer, or who can't get documentation after the fact because the vet has retired and moved, or died.
My guess would be that they want to get the law on the books so they can use it when they come across someone who is actively cropping/docking who is not qualified to do so. Sort of a 'let's have the law available to use when we need it' kind of thing.

Right now, we're all supposed to have our dogs vaccinated against rabies and carry that proof with us (tag)......do we all do it all the time? Doubtful. But if for some reason we had to present the proof, we could.

Using the same rabies comparison, if I refused to vaccinate my dogs and the authorities were alerted to it, I could be forced to vaccinate. I think it would be the same with this proposed law - if I was docking tails in my kitchen and the authorities were alerted to it, since it would now be a law, they could make me stop doing it.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
Post Correct Information on Tail-Docking in PA

Thought I would correct misinformation being passed on to people concerning tail-docking. I am a member of the PA Dog Law Advisory Board and want all to know the proposed legislation does NOT make it illegal to own a dog whose tail has been docked. The legislation will limit the timeframe to dock a tail to the first 5 days of a puppies life. This timeframe is a result of numerous experts (vets) telling us that a tail should be docked within the first 5 days.

Pennsylvania Draft Legislation
Puts Clamps on Tail Docking

A proposed revision of the Pennsylvania Animal Cruelty law makes it illegal for anyone to own or possess a dog or puppy with a docked tail, unless the person can prove that the tail was docked by a licensed veterinarian or has filed an affidavit of proof with a county treasurer that the procedure was done before the law goes into effect. This draft legislation will be presented to the Dog Law Advisory Board this week, prior to being published in The Pennsylvania Bulletin and submitted to the state Legislature.

Sorry, moderator edit - gotta have a link - possible copyright violation.
-----------------------------------------------------[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs