Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:05 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times

Advertisements

I'm heading out of town for the weekend and to save some time this morning getting out of the house, even though I'm wasting time posting here on citydata lol, I decided to drop my dogs off last night so didn't have the dogs at home with me.

Man it's super wierd not having dogs in the house. My gf and I were just commenting on this. Not only not having to get up and take them out every few hours but house just feels so empty and quiet. We were jokingly saying we wouln't be able to sleep without the dogs downstairs by the door lol.

No real reason for this post just wondering if you guys find it really strange when your dogs aren't around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Yes it is very weird to be home and not have the dogs here. Often when I travel I make it home in the evening so can not pick them up until morning and the house just does not feel right without them. That is also another reason I have more then one dog and often get a new dog when an old one's time is nearing as I just could not stand being dog less or expecting one dog to be alone while I work so there are always at least 2 dogs here.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM

246 posts, read 279,047 times
I feel the same way, even when I take the dog to day care for a day the house seems so empty. Funny i never felt that way about my kids when they were gone (only kidding) but can't imagine life without my furry pet.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:17 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blpc View Post
I feel the same way, even when I take the dog to day care for a day the house seems so empty. Funny i never felt that way about my kids when they were gone (only kidding) but can't imagine life without my furry pet.
My son was asking/teasing me about my affinity for Tuck and Taffy, and how they are far more spoiled than the kids were when they (the kids) were growing up.

As we were talking about it, I was thinking about the idea of loving the dogs, and I said to him that I think why I get so much enjoyment from my dogs, is that they are dependant on me, so I have responsibilty for their welfare, but unlike the kids, whatever I do for them is "enough," and the feedback loop is always overwhelmingly positive.

In short there is a combination of a sense power, fulfillment, responsibility, and enjoyment that comes with fulfilling the dogs needs, and the dogs loyalty, love, and joy is a very emotionally fulfilling interaction for me personally.

That combination of dependancy and my ability to meet or exceed the dogs needs and expectations, and the overwhelmingly positive feedback/response, is a very pleasant emotional balm in a world of filled with life's demands that many times I can only partially meet.

Dogs are great!

Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
It is less chaotic, but eventually I miss them

Old 01-23-2015, 01:49 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,150 times
That moment when I drop a cracker/crumb on the floor and no one comes running to clean it up for me....

I stand there for a second, hardly knowing what to do before I realize I'll have to wipe up the mess for myself, lol.

Too quiet when my buddies aren't here.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Empty nest Syndrome also applies to FurKids

Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
So funny this thread shows up the day before we are taking our dog to the boarding kennel and then leave the next day for vacation....I almost wish we could take him on our way on Sunday instead of a day ahead.....If you have the dog at the kennel for a week they give a complementary bath on the 7th day at no charge so that is a deal I can't refuse. Last thing I want to do upon our return is bathe a big dog that smells like a kennel. I think on Sat night we may just have to take each other for a walk just so we aren't breaking tradition...Sure gonna miss him while we are gone, it is the only bad thing about vacation.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
I'm going on 2 vacations this year without Bella. The longest I've ever been away from her is one night. She's 5. One trip is 4 days. The other 7. One good thing is there will be dogs at both places. Before anyone asks why I don't bring her, both are long plane trips and at 72lbs she won't fit under the seat.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
When he's at the groomers the house definitely feels empty.We drive so we can take him with us, I can't bear to leave him in a kennel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs