Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,208 times

Advertisements

I have a new client who wants me at her house as much as possible for 10 days she has 6 dogs (2 which are adult, two 5 month old and two 3 month old dogs) and to spend the night, her house is 10 min away from my house and job.
They need a morning and evening feeding as well as let out on my lunch hour from work and a late night visit on the off chance i cant spend the night. I live in Florida and am looking for a reasonable amount to charge her, Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 03:58 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandatate3 View Post
I have a new client who wants me at her house as much as possible for 10 days she has 6 dogs (2 which are adult, two 5 month old and two 3 month old dogs) and to spend the night, her house is 10 min away from my house and job.
They need a morning and evening feeding as well as let out on my lunch hour from work and a late night visit on the off chance i cant spend the night. I live in Florida and am looking for a reasonable amount to charge her, Please help.
I had my own pet sitting business in FL before I moved. Typical overnight stays are about $60 and usually $15 a visit in the day. This is usually only for 2 dogs. Being you have six dogs to watch, 2 being young puppies, I'd expect more. Since your client is asking for 10 days, you can cut her a break. I think $75/day is more than reasonable. You may even want to charge a little more up to $100. Yes, people may say that's expensive. Think about it though, if she had to board at a kennel, she'd most likely be paying at least $20 per dog, per day. It's alot of work What do you normally charge?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
I have two dogs, and we pay a house sitter $300 per week. She walks the dogs AM and PM, and sleeps at the house. Kenneling rates here cost $600 per week for the two dogs (normally $400 per dog, but she only charged $200 for the second dog because they would stay together in the same kennel and run) , so I am low on my payments, but my house sitter is very happy with the deal.

Given you have two adult dogs and four puppies, I suspect your time (and clean up!) requirements will be pretty high, so I would say say at least $75 per day - $100 per day does not sound unreasonable at all to me.

I suspect you could look at the going kennel rate locally and cut it in half, you would be at a reasonable price for the service provided.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
I pay $40 a day for two dogs, they let themselves out through their doggy door, the sitter does stay overnight.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Find out what it would cost her to kennel them locally, and go from there. Once you know what she would have to spend if she kenneled them, you can make an offer you know is fair, and you can be confident to stand your ground if she wants to low-ball you.

There wouldn't be enough money in the world to get me to take that job LOL!

Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Years ago my daughter was paying 40 per day to a boarding kennel in So. Calif..

Trying to potty 6 dogs, four being pups on a lunch hour is gonna be tough work.
I wouldn't want the job either. How well do you know these dogs? That is a lot of responsibility, and it is a pack...with pack mentality.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,208 times
Thank you for all your suggestions, she is a breeder of small dogs and we agreed on 3x a day, There is no doggie door and it is a constant mess to clean ever day I go, whick was to be expected and doesnt bother me, they have the equivalent of "litter boxes" for the in between times.

I know the dogs and owner fairly well and Dollydo that seems cheap does it include walks? or just house watching, I love taking care of animals but i just want to be fair to myself and the client

Thank you for all your feedback i appreciate it greatly

Old 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandatate3 View Post
Thank you for all your suggestions, she is a breeder of small dogs and we agreed on 3x a day, There is no doggie door and it is a constant mess to clean ever day I go, whick was to be expected and doesnt bother me, they have the equivalent of "litter boxes" for the in between times.

I know the dogs and owner fairly well and Dollydo that seems cheap does it include walks? or just house watching, I love taking care of animals but i just want to be fair to myself and the client

Thank you for all your feedback i appreciate it greatly
It does depend on the going rate in your community; Here $40 a day for overnight is pretty standard, but that isn't for that many creaturs. My hubby, who does this as well and is very inexpensive charges only $30. With so many dogs and no doggy door I would think $50 a day would be more than fair.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Do be sure that she gives written info to her vet before she leaves that if you should need to take one of them in she will be covering the bill upon her return and be sure she also gives you a copy of the letter.

Hope you have fun with the gang.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
So you're not actually a professional pet sitter, right? Are you insured and bonded?

I am and would NEVER take that job. What a nightmare.

But, for the record, I charge $100 per day for "live in service" and I don't stay there full time, I come and go for my other jobs.

You cannot charge the same thing as other sitters because this is at least DOUBLE the work as other jobs which normally have 2 dogs or THREE MAX.

What happens if you have an emergency are you going to call your work and tell them you can't come back because someone has to go to the vet?

ETA: I didn't even read your follow up post about the job and I knew it would be a mess. DECLINE IT.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-10-2015 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs