Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM

483 posts, read 655,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoDog View Post
I like this idea.
It also gives you the chance to remain anonymous (initially), which is good if your neighbors are jerks. I've dealt with juvenile, retaliatory neighbors before and it sucks. Even if you're doing the right thing.
Oh yea, I planned on doing it anonymously at first. I don't want any drama with neighbors, wether its warranted or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:50 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
My dogs aren't perfect and I don't expect theirs to be either, but these dogs are aggressive/untrained and not allowed. I'm worried about my dogs safety.
I wouldn't hesitate one moment. Not a second.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:12 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I would. Dog's and apartments don't mix in my mind anyway so it's a privilege to be able to have one at all. Breaking the SIMPLE rules is why most complexes eventually just end up banning them completely.

Dogs and apartments can mix very well; I've been doing it for years, as have many other dog owners in my apartment complex. It all depends on the dogs' temperaments and energy levels, and the owners' commitment to obey the rules and train and exercise their dogs. And getting dogs who are not perpetual motion machines or who have, regardless of their breed, aggressive tendencies, is a stop in the right direction.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 PM

I submitted a letter to management today, so we will see what happens. I'll keep an eye out and see if they really do something about it, or if I need to start taking different measures when I walk ours.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I would only report the aggressive dog. That friendly pit might just save your life one day.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would only report the aggressive dog. That friendly pit might just save your life one day.
Except my dogs don't appreciate his "friendliness" and I've asked the owner 3 separate times to please, not let him jump all over my dogs and they have yet to respect my dogs space. He has no social skills and just kinda barrels into them, and jumps on me.
Our smaller one has already gotten peeved at him(he knocked her into the railing), and when she growled, he growled back(which I'd expect, but my beagle mix is going to be no match for him if she starts something to protect herself, because he knocked her over), I'm not going to let a 60ish pound un-neutered pitbull, that isn't even allowed here, push my dogs around when the owner won't listen to my request to please not let him "come say hi." Friendly or not, he's too much for my dogs(and his owner, he drags them around) and since the owner won't respect my dogs I did report them too

Old 03-12-2015, 12:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Well...Sorry to hear that...But, please keep us posted on the results ok

Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 PM

216 posts, read 682,219 times
Quote:
Except my dogs don't appreciate his "friendliness" and I've asked the owner 3 separate times to please, not let him jump all over my dogs and they have yet to respect my dogs space. He has no social skills and just kinda barrels into them, and jumps on me.
Our smaller one has already gotten peeved at him(he knocked her into the railing), and when she growled, he growled back(which I'd expect, but my beagle mix is going to be no match for him if she starts something to protect herself, because he knocked her over), I'm not going to let a 60ish pound un-neutered pitbull, that isn't even allowed here, push my dogs around when the owner won't listen to my request to please not let him "come say hi." Friendly or not, he's too much for my dogs(and his owner, he drags them around) and since the owner won't respect my dogs I did report them too
Dogs that body slam other dogs and knock them down are not being friendly, that is an act of aggression. Your dogs know exactly what is going on, and they are afraid. The dog, and his owner, are both being bullies. Report him. And the Doberman. People who own large, aggressive breeds and allow them to intimidate and threaten their neighbors, and scare or hurt other dogs, are sociopaths and bullies. The dogs will eventually bite someone, or attack another dog, and be put down. You are not harming the dogs by reporting them.....their best chance at survival will be with another owner, in another environment.

My sister works in property management, and there is a huge liability involved in allowing dogs in rental properties, especially large dogs. Allowing banned breeds could result in cancellation of the property's insurance policy. I will guarantee you that none of these young owners are insured, and when their dogs hurt someone....maul your dogs or bite a child in the face....the victims will be left paying for their own medical bills, vet bills, etc.

Don't bother alerting the apartment manager, he is looking the other way. Find out the name of the real estate company that owns the complex and send a letter directly to them. Send it anonymously, if you want, preferably to their legal department. Tell them you feel threatened, and have spoken to your attorney and are documenting incidents with these dogs, which are there in violation of their lease. Send it certified or return receipt requested. Make it clear that you will take legal action against the complex if the dangerous dogs are not removed.

Lose the guilt, you have nothing to feel guilty about...you have every right to protect yourself and your dogs, who depend on you to keep them safe. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
True, I can only hope that the next owners would be better suited to their needs.
How nice to be sure they'll end up with new owners--and not euthanized or abused.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post

Don't bother alerting the apartment manager, he is looking the other way. Find out the name of the real estate company that owns the complex and send a letter directly to them. Send it anonymously, if you want, preferably to their legal department. Tell them you feel threatened, and have spoken to your attorney and are documenting incidents with these dogs, which are there in violation of their lease. Send it certified or return receipt requested. Make it clear that you will take legal action against the complex if the dangerous dogs are not removed.

Well that's exactly what happened.

Management got in touch with me, said in addition to my letter, Property Management had been on site on Monday(all day Monday none the less) for an overall property inspection...which I remember getting a letter about, but hadn't connected the two.
They saw not only the dogs in question, but according to the email that got sent out this evening, 17 more dogs who shouldn't be here(and I'm sure there are more they didn't see, the complex has 40 buildings).
Our apartment has sent out an email, and left letters on doors. Explaining that if anyone has a breed that is banned they have one week to find them a new home or talk to the leasing office about subletting their apartment. Neighbors are encouraged to report people who still have banned dogs after the week is up and those of us with pet deposits on file have to submit a current picture of our pets. They are allowing you time to prove, with a vet letter or other document, that your dog isn't a pit mix/GSD mix or whatever(which is nice, because I'd hate for someones dog to be misidentified).

I was told that property management would not allow our apartment to continue leasing, unless they did something about the banned dogs.

I'm relieved for my dogs safety, but upset that now these dogs have unknown futures, because their "owners" decided that the rules didn't apply to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs