Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

A friend of ours told us an interesting story tonight. He decided he wanted a dog, but not a puppy because he had never had his own dog before and was afraid he wasn't up to house breaking one. He tried the shelters first but that didn't work because he lives in a condo where they aren't allowed to have pits or pit mixes, which was all the local shelters had. Next stop Craigslist.

So he calls about a dog that had a small "rehoming" fee. He had never heard of that before so he asked the lady about it. She explained that it was to ensure that the dog went to a good home instead of a dog fighter to be a bait dog or research lab as an experimental subject, as they wouldn't be willing to pay for a dog. He thought that was a great idea, because who wants dogs to be harmed. So he goes to meet the dog, likes him, and agrees to pay the $350 she wanted (which by the way, isn't that unusually high here). Then he asked her what organization the money would be given to. He was not happy when he found out the organization was her. Haha, he had assumed from her explanation of why she was charging a rehoming fee that the money was going to some dog related charity. He tore up the check.

He went back to Craigslist and called people, telling them he was willing to pay their rehoming fee, because he understood the theory behind it, but only if it went to a charity that they both agreed on. He called over 20 ads before someone agreed. She, it turned out, was thrilled. She just wanted a home for the dog and had been told she needed to charge a fee to protect the dog. They had to put her dad in a nursing home and were trying to find a new home for his dog. The dad was very happy the dog was going to a retired solider, the dog seems to get along with our friend very well, and the daughter felt much better with less guilt. They ended up settling on a donation to some local Alzheimer's organization in the old guy's name. Great ending, perfect solution.

I encourage everyone to offer to give the "rehoming fee" to a mutually agreeable charity. Too many of these people are clearly dog selling.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:10 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
One of the senior black labs that I adopted from an individual wasn't asking for any money for Monty, just wanted to find him a good home. She had tried to place him with a local rescue in her area but they were full. She was delighted when I suggested that I make a donation to that group. I wrote the check and together, along with the dog, we walked it to the mailbox. That way she knew I really did give the group the money. I got a great dog (other than the fact that he was quite an escape artist who, after a few hours roaming the pastures in search of nasty things to roll in, would come home, tongue dragging, body stinking, soaking wet from time in the pond or creek, very tired but so happy).

He came with vet records, up to date vaccinations and several months supply of heart worm and flea preventative and I offered to pay for those supplies but she said no, give it to the rescue.

Win - win - win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 AM

132 posts, read 140,683 times
Those fees have gotten crazy out of hand. There are some rescues that do put the money into caring for their rescued dogs, vet bills, general care... and there are those who are simply making a business out of their hobby.... it still helps dogs, so, it's not a total scam usually. I paid way too much but I received a wonderful rescue dog from ID.

petfinder.com has lots of rescues available, some are small town dog pounds with very reasonable prices, some, really expensive... They are at the point that people should just buy AKC registered dogs instead... I mean, I'm glad I didn't because my heinz 57 is such a perfect dog, others are not so lucky. I am saying, for what I paid and what some of these "rescues" charge, LOL, I could have gotten an AKC papered puppy. I was a sucker for his picture!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:51 AM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
I can't even scroll the pet ads on Craigslist without getting totally disgusted. I end up just scrolling and flagging.

A "small rehoming fee" of $450 for a ckc registered puppy is NOT what the rules mean on CL, I don't think. That's a backyard breeder selling puppies.

Great idea to donate the fee to a rescue! You weed out the sellers and you help a good cause.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
They are doing the same thing on those Yard Sale site on FB! Worse is they selling the pups Way too Young!

Old 03-14-2015, 03:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
rehoming fee....just sounds like another way to say "I want so much for the dog".

Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
It's a shame, some people use the tern rehoming fee to sell the animal. Anything over $50 is too much in my opinion.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:09 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
People started a Knoxville pet rehoming site on Facebook......It is thoroughly disgusting when people get a dog...5 days later they decide it's too much work....so they rehome for a price...usually too high...

Another thing is dog flipping...someone says on there. NEED DOG GONE TODAY...MY GRANDMA SAYS SO... they are desperate cause granny wants the dog out so they give it away or sell for a small fee.....then on another rehoming site in the next county, the dog that someone bought for $10 will be for sale for $125.00...and needs shots etc....Burns me up...

Old 03-16-2015, 07:53 AM

188 posts, read 209,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
They are doing the same thing on those Yard Sale site on FB! Worse is they selling the pups Way too Young!
This always gets me more than the ridiculous rehoming fees. They never say exactly how old the animals are, they say born on xx/xx/xxxx, and when I do the math, I realize it was only 5, 6, 7 weeks ago. Ugh. In the age of the internet, there is no excuse for being this ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs