Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
And the point of the comparison was "because dogs prefer meat over veggies, meat is better for them than veggies." It's a dumb hypothetical experiment that proves nothing.
You know all you really need to do is open a dog's mouth and look closely at it's teeth. They are VERY sharp, serrated cutting blades that are made for tearing apart meat. There is not a SINGLE flat, plant grinding tooth is a dog's skull. That is all that really need to be said. It's entire digestive system is a meat processing machine. It literally does not digest veggies or break down plant cell walls.

Feed your dog veggies and watch it go right out the back end undigested onto your lawn, then toss some dollar bills into the pooper scooper along with the mountainous piles of bulky veggie poop. A veggie diet for a dog has VERY LOW bioavailability of nutrients because 90% of it cannot even be digested. In one end, out the other, money wasted and the animal suffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
I see both sides of the argument and have given both meat and veggies to our dogs (we mix kibble with a little cooked, no seasoning food). My older dog hates veggies. She would always spit out the carrots, celery, broccoli...even if it's dipped in gravy or sauce. Just hates it. She loves bread though. And the younger pup will eat anything, including veggies and toy stuffing.

They both poop just fine, if that matters.

I think it's quite unfair to tell vegans that they can't have their dog follow their lifestyle. At the same time, I think it's selfish to apply the entire vegan diet just because you have a say in it and you don't like meat. For whatever your reasons you have to go vegan, your dog doesn't care at all, you know. Factory farming? The dog doesn't care. Meat makes you unhealthy? The dog still doesn't care.

In the end, which diet really matters anyway?

Our pets' lives are short relative to ours. Don't forget that. Let them enjoy life and eat what they want.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:09 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
What would you do if you actually read my comments in this thread, that show I'm anti-vegan when it comes to my dog and all dogs? \

I was responding to someone who said that veganism is "difficult" for PEOPLE. My comment had nothing to do with whether veganism is correct for dogs.
I just read the last 2 pages of this thread. Your comments on these pages certainly make it seem as if you are pro-veggie for dogs. Not sure why you continue to lecture posters on understanding your position. You appear to be all over the map, your pro-veggie comment in the back part of this thread about dogs eating a veggie diet makes it difficult to understand where you stand. It's not our responsibility to read all 11 pages to understand your position, there is a reason several think you are advocating a veggie diet for dogs.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 AM

380 posts, read 653,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I just read the last 2 pages of this thread. Your comments on these pages certainly make it seem as if you are pro-veggie for dogs. Not sure why you continue to lecture posters on understanding your position. You appear to be all over the map, your pro-veggie comment in the back part of this thread about dogs eating a veggie diet makes it difficult to understand where you stand. It's not our responsibility to read all 11 pages to understand your position, there is a reason several think you are advocating a veggie diet for dogs.
Here are my comments from earlier in the thread:

Quote:
I'm a strict vegan and I would NEVER consider subjecting my diet to my dog, any more than a dog would expect its owner to eat raw meat.
Quote:
Hey, now -- I'm a vegan, and I feed my dog a raw-meat diet. No need to paint with broad brushes.
Other than that, I talk about laughing out loud at a horse photo, and rejecting the "experiment" of putting out raw meat and veggies and letting a dog choose. I also dismiss the notion that it's difficult for humans to stick to a vegan diet.

Where is my pro-veggie comment in the back part of this thread about dogs eating a veggie diet?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
I see both sides of the argument and have given both meat and veggies to our dogs (we mix kibble with a little cooked, no seasoning food). My older dog hates veggies. She would always spit out the carrots, celery, broccoli...even if it's dipped in gravy or sauce. Just hates it. She loves bread though. And the younger pup will eat anything, including veggies and toy stuffing.

They both poop just fine, if that matters.

I think it's quite unfair to tell vegans that they can't have their dog follow their lifestyle. At the same time, I think it's selfish to apply the entire vegan diet just because you have a say in it and you don't like meat. For whatever your reasons you have to go vegan, your dog doesn't care at all, you know. Factory farming? The dog doesn't care. Meat makes you unhealthy? The dog still doesn't care.

In the end, which diet really matters anyway?

Our pets' lives are short relative to ours. Don't forget that. Let them enjoy life and eat what they want.
My boy will be getting some raw beef trimmings tonight - one of benefits of me having steak for dinner.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:56 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Here are my comments from earlier in the thread:

Other than that, I talk about laughing out loud at a horse photo, and rejecting the "experiment" of putting out raw meat and veggies and letting a dog choose. I also dismiss the notion that it's difficult for humans to stick to a vegan diet.

Where is my pro-veggie comment in the back part of this thread about dogs eating a veggie diet?
Again as I said in my post you were making pro-veggie comments in a thread about dogs eating a veggie diet. Unless folks go back and read all 11 pages I can certainly see why they would think you were advocating this diet for dogs seeing as they were made in a thread about dogs and veggie diets.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 536 times
Other than judgements, any vegetarian mom's around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs