Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I don't know many details, because this is the golden I lost custody of in the separation. But, my ex left a message saying that our 1.5 yo male had a seizure last night. I haven't been able to reach him to get more details. It's funny because I have had so many goldens and this guy just takes the cake ... he is so hyper - I call him my ADHD golden. [My 8 year old golden is happy when they are reunited for a playdate, but honestly is so glad to be an 'only' now, she is so much happier].

What does this mean? Should I be extremely worried?

As I mentioned, he is 1.5 years old, very, very hyper, also was very aggressive toward our older golden. He's a "field" golden so he is long and lean - just a very unique temperament, very athletic, very hyper. He's never had health problems except for that ingrown eyelash issue that required surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,793 times
wow - so young. I hope the X takes him to the vet. Bloodwork will help determine if there is an imbalance.

Could he have had a blow to the head? Not saying that someone hit him, but if he is as active as you say, he could have lost his footing and injured himself.

Don't be surprised if they can't find a cause. Idiopathic seizures are very common.

It may never happen again, it may become a prob. Either way,you need to find out what the vet says. Then go from there.

Good luck

Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM

thanks. He did say in his message that he was having bloodwork done. Then I found something on the internet basically saying that this is the prime time for epilepsy to begin - not that that is necessarily a huge worry, you know what I mean, nothing terminal, necessarily, I hope ...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Sorry to hear about your golden, it might just be a one-time occurrence. Could he have gotten into anything (chemicals), have heard certain flea preventatives can trigger seizures although it's not really flea season in most areas. Likely the vet won't put him on any meds unless he has more. It is scary though but hopefully all will be fine. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
thanks. He did say in his message that he was having bloodwork done. Then I found something on the internet basically saying that this is the prime time for epilepsy to begin - not that that is necessarily a huge worry, you know what I mean, nothing terminal, necessarily, I hope ...
Some phenobarb on a regular basis, if the seizures become common. Or some injectable diazapam/valium to administer rectally if he has breakthroughs. Your vet will advise you.

I actually found that this is a breed predisposition for Goldens.

I hope everything works out.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM

thanks everyone! I did just get a minor update - just that it was considered a major seizure and he (Noah is his name) had temporary vision loss and was scared and disoriented. But ... apparently the bloodwork was clean for the basic toxins and such that they would look into ... I know the vet used the word "epilepsy" probably not as a diagnosis but as a likely possiblity.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 PM

I am so sorry Noah's experience was so bad.

Idiopathic epilepsy is what they will call it until they can figure out a cause. Rule outs are structural brain abnormalities, encephalitis, trauma, or metabolic (the bloodwork helps for this one) causes.

The bloodwork probably wasn't for toxins...

Is he still at the clinic, or was he sent home?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 AM

Hi,

My, um, dh apparently called the emergency vet when it happened (3AM) and they said to wait until the next morning. Then he took him to our regular vet and took him home. I guess he's doing fine. I can't remember if they are doing additional testing beyond the bloodwork. I need to ask.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It feels kind of shocking and it feels odd that I'm not the one taking care of him.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,515 times
goldenmom7500, just want to say I know how scary it can be. In some ways consider yourself lucky you weren't there to experience Noah's seizure--they can be pretty awful to witness, and absolutely heartbreaking. But the good news is they can also be controlled with medication. The first weekend we had adopted our Aussie, he seized multiple times...horrible. And one of our other dogs attacks him when it happens...ugh...talk about scary! It came out of the blue, we've done lots of testing, and for the past almost 4 months (knock wood!) he's been incident free! There's a ton of resources online, some of which have been posted in recent discussions here (search on seizures). Feel free to ping me directly if you want more info. In the meantime, sending good energy and thoughts to both you and Noah! (P.S. What does "dh" signify? I've seen it a number of times referring to exes, I assume, but can't figure it out...)

~PudelPie

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM

dh = dear husband
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs