Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
This is the main reason why I don't want a dog like a pit bull, presa or other decent sized muscular breed in my house. I want to be able to play with my dogs and not have to worry if they get too rambuctious with their play activities. As it is, I've had puppies draw blood on my hands because their puppy teeth are sharp. And when my lab was younger, while he didn't bite me, his teeth would occasionally hit my hands it the impact would hurt me.
What? You're the owner of a Lab, but you just said that you don't want any decent sized muscular breed in your house?

United Kennel Club: UKC-Recognized Breeds (broken link)
Taken From Text:
Quote:
The Labrador Retriever is a medium-sized, short-coupled, powerfully-built dog
If you read about the Lab on the UKC website and the APBT on the UKC website, they are built very similarly. Yet you don't want a dog that's built like that in your home? I have owned 3 APBTs and 2 Labs, both of my Labs weighed more than my APBTs do, and they were just as muscular as my APBTs are.

I know more APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies than any other breed, and I have never been attacked, bit or even hurt by a "pit bull". I have however been attacked by a Lab, my brother has been attacked by a Lab, my old neighbors owned a Lab that attacked 5 people before it was put to sleep and my male APBT, Brooklyn, has been attacked by a Lab/ Shepherd mix.

Quote:
According to the site that pitbulmommie posted (Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup), pit bulls were bred for baiting bulls.
How many breeds were bred for fighting animals? How many breeds were bred for hunting and killing animals? How many breeds were bred for guarding? Yeah, bully breeds were bred for bull-baiting, among other things, so what's your point? You want to talk about the bully breed's history? Well there is a lot more to it than just bull-baiting, and it's not only the "pit bull" breeds that were bred originally bred for bull-baiting.

Way back in the Middle Ages (A.D. 476 to~1450), large, muscular dogs served many purposes. Sure, they could help out in war, but for the average family, dogs served more practical and less dramatic purposes. They guarded the household. They worked for butchers, pulling carts, guarding the shops and helping to hold down the bulls for slaughter. They helped hunt down dinner or scared off predators like wolves and bears. These catch dog also rode along on hunts and when the hound dogs cornered a fox, badger or some other prey animal, they would dash in and finish the job.

As with many breeds, some of these dogs began to specialize; they were particularly strong, courageous, good guardians and had a knack for doing just what they were told. And when they were told to fight off a bear or hold down a bull for slaughter, well... we all know human nature. People wanted to watch. To see a strong, brave dog stand up to a much larger foe was impressive, and yes, a little bloody. It fascinated people, and these "bulldogs" began to get a reputation - one that would last for centuries.

During the Renaissance (14th to 17th centuries), bull-baiting and bear-baiting became a serious sport, especially in Germany, where the best dogs were called bullenbeisser or barenbeisser. In England, people also watch bull-baiting, and for a time, the law required that all bulls sold as meat must first be baited by a dog, because of the mistaken belief that a baited bull produced better meat. The dogs who participated in this sport came to be known as bulldogs. They had to be tough, with very strong jaws, bones and muscles, and have the tenacity to keep going even when the bulls flung them into the air or the bears swiped them with giant claws.

Of course, just as every age has it's lovers of violence, every age also has those who protest against it. And many people were horrified at the sight of bull-baiting and bear-baiting, so much so that by 1835, the sport became illegal in England under the Cruelty to Animals Act. However, that didn't stop people from fighting their dogs against each other for sport and for profit. People began to bred dogs for superior ability to fight other dogs in rings or pit. Some also competed to see which dogs could catch and kill the most rats in the shortest amount of time, and these dogs were sometimes crossed with terriers. And so the bulldog-terrier cross was born: A dog created to fit a niche - a niche that would soon become illegal.

By the middle of the 19th century, bulldog-terrier crosses existed all over Europe and America as people discovered how versatile, obedient, friendly and helpful these dogs were. But because of their wide distribution and multiple uses, it's only natural that dogs in different places doing different jobs would begin to develop different traits. Some grew larger, some grew smaller, some grew wider with bigger head, some grew rangier with quicker reflexes. When people began to show and compete with dogs more seriously, they began to give their dogs different names.

In England where ratting contests were particularly popular, bull-and-terrier crosses fit the bill. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the Bull Terrier were two of the results of these crosses - two very different-looking dogs because of the particular bulldog and particular terriers used to create them. As people began to show these dogs in dog shows and publish written breed standards, breeders began to be more careful about how they bred their dogs, further distinguishing their differences.

The Bull Terrier evolved to be thick and burly with egg-shaped heads and pricked ears with small, piercing eyes and a colored or white coat. The smaller Bull Terriers also evolved separately to become Miniature Bull Terriers, as breeds selected the smallest specimens and paired them to create a miniature version of the Bull Terrier. The Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffie or SBT) were bred to have broad skulls, pronounced cheek muscles and an agile working-dog body of just 14 to 16 inches and about 24 to 38 pounds, with rose or half-pricked ears.

In America, with it's "bigger is better" attitude and wider open spaces, many people preferred a larger dog, and naturally bred dogs with the dogs they already had here, according to Bill Peterson, a longtime American Staffordshire Terrier breeder in Bokeelia, Florida, and a board member in charge of breed-specific legislation issues for the Staffordshire Terrier Club of America, "It was haphazard and they probably bred with larger hound dogs, which were probably mostly mongrels," Peterson says. "But the end result was that the dog got bigger."

Mary Harwelik, a dog trainer and "pit bull" activist in New Jersey who considers bully breed history a hobby (as do my husband and I), also says that different continents made for very different dogs. "The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) went along a very different route than the Staffies in the mid-1930's," Harwelik says. "Any cross-breeding between Staffies and APBTs stopped at the time, with the Staffie solidifying in England and the APBT solidifying in America from Irish and English dogs."

In the US, people called these bulldog-terrier mixes by a variety of names, including pit bulls, American Bulldogs, Bull and Terriers, or Yankee Terriers. A large variation developed amongst APBTs, mostly because this is a performance breed and people have always focused more on function than looks, and the breed standard is more open to interpretation. Plus, you see the effects of fads - at different times different kind of dogs were more popular.

In the late 19th century, the United Kennel Club (UKC) was formed to help formalize breeding programs and begin registering the dogs under the name American Pit Bull Terriers. In the 1930's, those interested in showing their dogs in dog shows petitioned the American Kennel Club (AKC) to accept the APBT, but the AKC, in an effort to distance themselves from the breed's fighting past, insisted they would only accept the breed under a different name. Much argument ensued but finally the majority agreed to call the breed the Staffordshire Terrier, since England's Staffordshire Bull Terrier was considered the American Pit Bull Terriers closet relative. However, not everyone agreed with this. Many felt that the breed should be called the American Bull Terrier or the Yankee Terrier, as both of those names had been used before.

By the early 1970's, when the AKC accepted the Staffordshire Bull Terrier for registration, may believed that the name Staffordshire Terrier was too close, so the name was changed to the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff or AST), again with a lot of opposition. By this point, in name at least, the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier had become two separate breeds. Though they were/are really just separate strands of the same breed. Many people, even today, still consider the AmStaff and the APBT to be the same breed.

To further complicate the issue, the AKC won't accept UKC-registered APBTs for registration as AmStaffs, but the UKC will accept AKC-registered AmStaffs and APBTs. So, although some breeders insist that separate breeding for nearly a century has resulted in separate breeds, many dogs are still duel-registered with the AKC and the UKC. The APBT and the AmStaff are essentially the same breed. There have been no permitted crosses with other breeds since their division.

Dogs from all over the world have been used for fighting and protection. Many are descended from the Mastiff, like the Dogue de Bordeaux (the French Mastiff) and the Cane Corso (the Italian Mastiff), and many have bulldog or bull-and-terrier blood, in addition to many other elements - dogs like the Dogo Argentino and the Perro de Presa Canario. They all resemble the bully breeds.

Other dogs more common in the US are probably descended from the same dogs as the more popular bully breeds, but not everyone agrees that all of these bully variations are legitimate breeds. At the same time, those who created and those who work to preserve them argue vehemently that their breeds - the American Bulldog and the Olde English Bulldogge, for example - are indeed old breeds or reconstruction of old breeds.

The UKC recognizes a few of these breeds, including the American Bulldog (ABD). According to the official UKC breed standard, the ABD originated from the same bull-baiting stock as many of the other bully breeds in England, but this particular variety was preserved by working class immigrants who brought their working dogs with them to the American south. The standard also describes two distinct lines: the massive broad-headed Jonson type with the undershot bite; and the Scott type, with a lighter body and bone, and a longer muzzle. Today, the two types have merged into a taller, leggier dog with a Boxer-like face that looks completely different from the short, wrinkled-headed bulldog, often called the English Bulldog.

Quote:
So why would I need a dog like that in my life?
No one said you needed a dog like that in your life! lol! Every breed is different and not every breed is right for everyone. If an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or Staffordshire Bull Terrier isn't right for you than they aren't right for you. American Pit Bull Terriers are right for my husband and I, and several people that we know, and we should be able to own them. Just because certain breeds aren't right for everyone does not mean they are bad breeds. Labs are certainly not right for everyone! Does that make them bad? No!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
You established many threads ago that you do not like or trust pitbulls, that is fine. You gave your reasons. News stories arent always facts, they are sometimes just small pictures of a big story. News stations do what the people want to hear for a large part. Why would I be horrified ? Do I get horrified when a German Shepheard or a Labrador bites somebody ? No I dont. Its unfortuante and I wouldnt want it to happen to anybody, I have been bitten by a Collie, but do I go out of my way to get information of border collies biteing people ? No. Do I do it for any breed of dog, no. Dogs bite, and it is unfortunate when they do. There is absolutely no merrit to banning any breed. The temprement tests showing that Staffs and many other of the "dangerous" breeds have better temprements than Collies, GSD's, Labs and others too. Does that warrant banning a breed ? Hell no.

Are there not thousands of nearly every breed being put to sleep ? Cross, pure bred, everything. I put that down to bad breeders putting out pups for the sake of it, people not researching breeds, people not researching that it actually takes time, money and alot of love to own any breed of dog. Some people seem to think they walk, feed and train themsleves. These are the people that tick me off, not the breed. Its the people.

The thing about us "pitbull" owners is that we know what alot of non owners are thinking when they say they dont like our favourite breed. Do we like to educate and put to death the "rumors" that people think are facts, yes. Do we really care if people dont adore the dogs and want to get one after we share the loves of our lives, no. We, like any lover of a breed want responsible owners to owner our breed, to give it a good reputation. Because there are alot of publicised bad owners, it dosent make me want to ban the breed. It makes me want to educate and punish the owners of abusers. But I really say that for every breed.

I do know what I am up against. I am fighting BSL here in my town, have been for nearly a year. I have more support for not banning the breed than I do, alot more support. A majority of people realise for the best part it is the owner that neglects a dog that turns it bad. Im not saying there isnt "bad" dogs out there, because like people there just is, but "Pitbulls" dont rule the roost when it comes to having a bad dog.

People dont want pitbulls, people dont want guns, people dont want to be offended, people dont want bikers, people are afraid of men with skinheads the list goes on and on and on. Im not going to sit up at nite and worry about it one bit.

Quote:
City-Data is a forum based on shared information. I've only posted a tiny fraction of all the pit bull stories on the news. These stories are just presenting the facts. And I'm sorry that you aren't upset or horrified at the 19 year old woman and the 4 year old that got injured by their pets. And it's to also point out that there is some merit to the breed banning movements. In addition, there are tens of thousands unwanted pit bulls being put to sleep every year which should bother all of us dog lovers and owners. And I would think that all of us would want to know both the pros and cons of owning any dog breed.

And for the owners of pit bull breeds, wouldn't they want to know what the non pit bull owners were thinking about when we say that we don't like their favorite breed. I'd think that you'd want to know what you were up against when others don't want to have pit bulls living in their neighborhoods.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
I would think that since Brian has been fighting BSL himself he knows what he's up against.

If someone thinks breed bans are good then they are asking for trouble. Because that person can't pick which breed(s) are banned or not. Do you think that Husky and Shar Pei owners cared when it was Rotts and Pit Bulls? Now I'm sure some of those owners realize it is a mistake but not something that can easily be fixed. With over 20 breeds banned I'm sure the number will continue to rise. I doubt anyone who owned a Deerhound thought they'd be banned, or the small number of Akbash owners, those breeds are not responsible for maybe but a rare attack (if any have been reported?) yet they were still banned.

In Germany they banned an atrocious amount of breeds but it doesn't seem to have helped.

In the UK they banned APBTs but people are still getting attacked by dogs. People still want dogs, if breeds are banned they just get a different breed and the problems still occur. Ironically the 5th most popular breed there is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (which is a pit bull breed). Even with that much popularity they don't have an issue with that breed attacking people. Why is this?

If people are not going to make an effort to get to the root of the problem and help make the place safer for people and better for dogs then why do anything? When it was ok for bloodsports to go on Pit Bulls were not attacking people. Yet its being said they are dangerous because of their history? That seems to be backwards. Since attacks were not happening like they are now, the dogs were known for being good companions back then. Dog attacks period, let alone Pit Bull attacks were not something in most peoples minds. The problem isn't a few breeds, the problem isn't dogs period, the problem is people. The culture is what has changed. Dogs should be treated as dogs, not spoiled children. Dogs should be bred from stable parents, not unsound parents. Not every dog needs to be bred and not every person that thinks they should be a breeder needs to be. Its the breeders and the owners who are the downfall of dogs. In countries where dogs are not treated like spoiled kids and not run down by bybs they don't have the same problems. This includes countries where dog fighting/baiting is a common place. Yet the dogs are not attacking people, let alone little kids. In some of these places the dogs are highly revered not seen as dangerous because there isn't an issue of bad temperaments.

Education and helping the laws to be enforced will help fix some of the issues. People have to make a choice to be responsible. We can't keep them from owning dogs, if we can lesson mills and byb then that would help. They breed unsound dogs and sell to anyone, so its a big cycle. Then all the clueless owners who let their dogs do whatever the dog wants and don't understand dogs in the least. They have no knowledge of canine social behavior nor how to train their dog. The worst is those with dominant breeds, they want a Rottweiler but have no idea how to handle one. A good breeder wouldn't have sold them a dog, but the byb don't care.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
City-Data is a forum based on shared information. I've only posted a tiny fraction of all the pit bull stories on the news. These stories are just presenting the facts. And I'm sorry that you aren't upset or horrified at the 19 year old woman and the 4 year old that got injured by their pets.
The majority of these stories are not "just presenting the facts". You need to do some serious research if you truly believe what you just said!

Case Studies - National Canine Research Council
Taken From Text:
Quote:
Case# 1: 2005 - Fatal Dog Attack - Michigan

Initial Presentation of Attack - (Media Sources)

"Family's two Pit bulls kill Hamtramck Girl"
"Family Pit bulls maul girl, 6, to death"
The newspapers reported that two *family* Pit bulls, with "no history of aggressive behavior" attacked the owner's daughter, killing her. It was also reported that the child had "known the dog since they were puppies". (*See definition at end of page for "family" dog.)...

Analysis -
The two dogs involved in this incident were inaccurately portrayed as "family dogs".* These animals were not maintained as companion animals, but instead were maintained in isolated, abusive conditions which directly contributed to their aggressive behaviors. The physical suffering these dogs experienced (starvation resulting in the ingestion of inedible objects and consuming toxic levels of rat poison) was undoubtedly a major factor in their aggressive behaviors.

The fact that both dogs were intact (not neutered), and the female at less than 2 years old had already shown signs of a previous pregnancy, again indicates that these dogs were not acquired/maintained to be companion animals.

The multiple risk factors which directly contributed to this incident include:

Lack of humane care (failing to feed, failure to seek medical attention)
Isolation, poor socialization of dogs (abandonment in vacant home's basement)
Failure to sterilize (neuter/spay) animals and allowing dogs to breed
Use in negative functions (status dogs, breeding dogs...)
All the above factors were the result of the owner(s) failing to take reasonable care, caution and responsibility for the humane treatment and maintenance of these dogs.
Yeah, the media's stating the facts alright. And if they are just presenting the facts, why on earth do they mistake other breeds for "pit bulls" all of the time? That, to me, seems a bit sloppy. They don't do the proper research before reporting a story, so how are the presenting facts?

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!
Taken From Text:
Quote:
March 17, 2007 Friendswood, TX Headlines reported a woman was apparently killed by her dogs, when police arrived they had to shoot and kill the "pit bull" because it attacked. A quote from Officer Lisa Price, “All three dogs were in the backyard, but the pit bull was the one that tried to attack,” she said."
The dog was not a pit bull but a Catahoula Bulldog. The media jumped on the "pit bull" There were even stories identifying the dog as a pit bull, after the dog was properly identified.

Yet again, officers on site have made a knee jerk identification, the media takes and runs with it and the breed image suffers.
Why don't we ever hear any of the good "pit bull" stories? Why didn't everyone hear about Dixie the "pit bull"?
Pet Pitbull - Positive Press
Taken From Text:
Quote:
When the deadly cottonmouth snake struck out at "her" children, Dixie never hesitated. The dog pushed the children aside, putting her 50-pound body between them and the snake. Dixie saved Frank Humphries, 9, and his 7-year-old twin siblings, Katie and Codi. But the venomous snake inflicted two bites on the face of the 16-month-old dog.
Or Buddy?
Taken From Text:
Quote:
The dog, who's lived with her more than two years, helped save both Tollison and her sister from a fire that erupted early last Wednesday in her Pine Ridge Road home.
Or Blueberry?
Quote:
A Pitbull named Blueberry is credited with saving her owner from two armed attackers. Authorities in Indiana, say the dog pounced on the intruders as they opened fire, Blueberrys legs and jaw were broken but she kept up the attack. The intruders fled and at last word, were still on the loose.
Or any of these other "pit bulls" that have done wonderful things?
Pet PitBull - Positive Press
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdY9Z5ub9xw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdY9Z5ub9xw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Oh wait, no one wants to hear those stories, right? "Pit bulls" are vicious, man-eating monsters. And people don't want to hear about the Lab that attacked 5 people, the Lab that attacked me or my brother, etc, etc. If the dogs that attacked my brother and I were "pit bulls", or "pit bull" mixes, it would have made national news! If that Lab that attacked 5 people was a "pit bull" it certainly would have made national news, and in Jacksonville Florida, where that happened, "pit bulls" would have been banned! But it's okay because those dogs were just a sweet Labs!

Quote:
And it's to also point out that there is some merit to the breed banning movements. In addition, there are tens of thousands unwanted pit bulls being put to sleep every year which should bother all of us dog lovers and owners. And I would think that all of us would want to know both the pros and cons of owning any dog breed.
Yes there are "pit bulls" being put to sleep all of the time, but there are also dogs of every other breed and mix being put to sleep all of the time! The problem isn't just "pit bulls", it's that there already aren't enough homes for all of these dogs, and people continue to breed anyway! And no, there is no merit to the breed banning movement. It should be a people banning movement! That's what would help!

Yes, all of us should want to know the pros and cons of owning any dog breed. I have owned many breeds in my life. I have owned a Chocolate Lab, a Cocker Spaniel, a Fox Hound, a Black Lab, a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Rottweiler mix, 2 Mini Schnauzers and now 3 APBTs. And I did research on each breed before I got them, as everyone should do. I never in my life thought I would be the owner of even 1 APBT, much less 3, but after doing loads and loads of research on the breed, there's just no way I could have gotten any other breed! Now, after owning APBTs, there is no way I'll ever own another breed! No dog I have ever owned, or even been around, even holds a candle to my APBTs and the other APBTs I know and/ or have spent time with! Unlike a lot of people though, when I did my research, I didn't check into what the media says about APBTs... lmao , I did research on websites that have facts on the breed! Like the UKC's website for example..

United Kennel Club: UKC-Recognized Breeds (broken link)
Taken From Text:
Quote:
Characteristics
The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed's natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.

The American Pit Bull Terrier has always been capable of doing a wide variety of jobs so exaggerations or faults should be penalized in proportion to how much they interfere with the dog's versatility.
Quote:
And for the owners of pit bull breeds, wouldn't they want to know what the non pit bull owners were thinking about when we say that we don't like their favorite breed. I'd think that you'd want to know what you were up against when others don't want to have pit bulls living in their neighborhoods.
To be quite honest, I couldn't care less what the "non pit bull owners" think of my breed of choice! What most of them think is solely based on twisted, over dramatic media hype! I know what I'm up against, why would I want to hear opinions based in myth over and over again? People are going to believe what they want to believe no matter what I say. If people want to believe the trash they hear on the news, I can tell them the facts until I'm blue in the face and it wouldn't make a bit of difference! Thank God I have people who are educated on these breeds to back me and our breeds up, like BrianH and APBT_Samara! If you're talking about open-minded people that are willing to listen to, acknowledge and accept the truth, than yes, I would want to hear what they had to say. But as far as the people that are completely ignorant when it comes to "pit bulls", that just will absolutely not hear the truth, no, I don't care what they have to say! Sorry! I'll listen to what they have to say because I would hope they will at least listen to what I have to say, but that doesn't mean I want to hear them tell me about some media stories and myths.

I don't care if I have to deal with some ignorance to own my dogs. The breed I own is the best breed for me and I'm not going to go out and get a different breed simply so more people will like my dogs! I don't know, I must just be lucky because every person that has met our dogs has liked them. Even people that are scared of "pit bulls", once they get to know our dogs, love them! We don't have any neighbors that don't want to live next to us because of our dogs. That has to be luck, right? It couldn't possibly be because APBTs are great dogs!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 01-17-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You established many threads ago that you do not like or trust pitbulls, that is fine. You gave your reasons. News stories arent always facts, they are sometimes just small pictures of a big story. News stations do what the people want to hear for a large part. Why would I be horrified ? Do I get horrified when a German Shepheard or a Labrador bites somebody ? No I dont. Its unfortuante and I wouldnt want it to happen to anybody, I have been bitten by a Collie, but do I go out of my way to get information of border collies biteing people ? No. Do I do it for any breed of dog, no. Dogs bite, and it is unfortunate when they do. There is absolutely no merrit to banning any breed. The temprement tests showing that Staffs and many other of the "dangerous" breeds have better temprements than Collies, GSD's, Labs and others too. Does that warrant banning a breed ? Hell no.

Are there not thousands of nearly every breed being put to sleep ? Cross, pure bred, everything. I put that down to bad breeders putting out pups for the sake of it, people not researching breeds, people not researching that it actually takes time, money and alot of love to own any breed of dog. Some people seem to think they walk, feed and train themsleves. These are the people that tick me off, not the breed. Its the people.

The thing about us "pitbull" owners is that we know what alot of non owners are thinking when they say they dont like our favourite breed. Do we like to educate and put to death the "rumors" that people think are facts, yes. Do we really care if people dont adore the dogs and want to get one after we share the loves of our lives, no. We, like any lover of a breed want responsible owners to owner our breed, to give it a good reputation. Because there are alot of publicised bad owners, it dosent make me want to ban the breed. It makes me want to educate and punish the owners of abusers. But I really say that for every breed.

I do know what I am up against. I am fighting BSL here in my town, have been for nearly a year. I have more support for not banning the breed than I do, alot more support. A majority of people realise for the best part it is the owner that neglects a dog that turns it bad. Im not saying there isnt "bad" dogs out there, because like people there just is, but "Pitbulls" dont rule the roost when it comes to having a bad dog.

People dont want pitbulls, people dont want guns, people dont want to be offended, people dont want bikers, people are afraid of men with skinheads the list goes on and on and on. Im not going to sit up at nite and worry about it one bit.
I agree completely! Well said! I was trying to say the same thing, but I got kind of mad and it didn't really come out right! lol! I owe you a rep. point, I have to spread the love first though.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
I want a dog from the time it is a puppy, so I can teach it boundries.

My "baby" is now 83 lb AKC GSD. She has never been allowed to "mouth" me or the inside dogs. That is my rule and I do not tolerate innapropiate behavior. I never hit, yell, or otherwise raise my voice with her- there is no need to! She is nothing but love and like any child needs guidance from me as to what is acceptable.

And if I were a 19 year old girl with half a brain, I sure as heck wouldn't rough house with any dog, large or small, unless IT WAS MY OWN DOG.

So, you can share all the APBT horror stories you want, but as a responsible large dog owner, I can separate journalism from yet another blood-thirst negative news coverage. I wonder if anyone knows how many kids weiner dogs snap at? KAJILLIONS!

Heck I can write a million stories on human behavior that would make your hair curl, but that doesn't mean all humans are idiots.... okay, bad example. LOL!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Good point. I'm on another forum where someone was asking about breed info. One person said this is what I show people who say they want a sled dog breed or something like that. It was a picture of the couch their dog had destroyed. Many people get dogs without understanding that breed or dogs at all. That they need attention, time and training. Most people in that situation would probably get rid of the dog. That owner is trying to convince them a Husky or Malamute, ect might not be the best bet if you are not prepared for it.

What some people put for wanting a breed suggestion seems like they need a stuffed animal. Doesn't bark, doesn't shed, doesn't really like much attention - we don't like dogs that will want us to play we want a dog that will just hang around, can be alone 12hrs a day - we both work so don't want a breed that needs attention all day, is very easy to train, won't expect me or my wife to play with it, doesn't need to be walked. Those are the type of things I've seen. Then they get offended when you tell them most pups of any breed need time and training, and adults need attention too more or less depending on the dog but they made it clear that they just wanted a dog that would lay by the couch and leave them alone when they get home from work. Of course they don't want to train it. Why did they want a dog? Dogs are here for companionship not decoration.

PMB that is also a good point about facts. When the Boxer bit a girl and was reported as a "Pit Bull Attack" they were just reporting the "facts". The Boxer was also called an American Bulldog in one of the prints. Aren't facts solid, it can't be both ways? The dog is either a Boxer or an American Bulldog, either it attacked her or a Pit did.

When a mutt killed a small boy and was reported in one FL news paper as being a Pit Bull and another as being a Bull Terrier how is that reporting the facts. It can't be both breeds and the mix didn't have either breed in it.

When the media reports all the gossip about the celebrities its always true? Those are some facts when they are found out to be just a hot juicy made up story.

Since an eye doctor says the miracle weight loss drug is good in his professional opinion then it must work? He is a Dr sure, but has no knowledge of diet, weight loss or the pill itself. Things we see on tv are often gimmicks of sorts, there are things they can and can't do legally. Some of the things they can do are pretty deceptive. People fall for anything.

When Fox reported that the declaration of independence had been banned from a CA school it was not true. Fox aired that quite a bit. How is that reporting facts.
Media Matters - FOX peddles false report that California school "banned Declaration of Independence because it mentions God"

Fox the reporter of "facts"
Paul Begala: Fox News: We Report -- Even if We Know It's False - Media on The Huffington Post

The Bullmastiff attack in MO a few months ago that was reported as a Pit Bull attack was just another news station reporting the "facts of a Pit Bull attack"

There have also been recalls which were not based on accurate sources but news station aired it anyway. Making people think they had dangerous products or whatever. How is that facts? They didn't try to verify the sources just wanted news.

Many things we see on news and commercials is pretty true, other times it is not. Some journalist are after a good story, whether it be true, truth stretched or an out right lie. If a reporter would stage dog fights for a story that is pretty heinous to me, its no better then anyone else doing it. At least they were charged that time!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
I live in Jacksonville, so I am familiar with this story, and I want to give you all a local video link to take a look at.

No matter what you might think of the incident, just take note of these few facts you can see with your own eyes:

1) The dog is tied onto a heavy chain

2) The dog has a heavy weight (huge padlock) around his neck

3) The dog is not neutered

Here's the link so you can see for yourself:

News4Jax.com - Video (http://www.news4jax.com/video/15058095/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I live in Jacksonville, so I am familiar with this story, and I want to give you all a local video link to take a look at.

No matter what you might think of the incident, just take note of these few facts you can see with your own eyes:

1) The dog is tied onto a heavy chain

2) The dog has a heavy weight (huge padlock) around his neck

3) The dog is not neutered

Here's the link so you can see for yourself:

News4Jax.com - Video (http://www.news4jax.com/video/15058095/index.html - broken link)
Ok I watched. I don't see a point to this.

1) The dog was on an adequate sized chain. Not too heavy but not too small, depending on the chain. Some chains wear thin fast and are very soft, they break at the link, if it is proof chain then the chain won't break quickly.

2) I saw a lock which connected a length of chain together. Perhaps this is a cheap chain and the dog wore a part thin and it broke. In turn they connected it with a padlock as that is what was handy? At any rate it usually isn't highly recommended because the dog will break the lock out side ways. The lock was pretty big too I did notice that. However I don't see how it is relevant to the attack. Unless I missed the point of your post all together.

I saw a leather color connect to a snap which had a connector to a chain. If that holds that dog I'm surprised. That connector used can easily be accidentally opened because it pushes in to open. Those snaps don't last long as the spring wears out and they open to where they come off the dogs collar or the swivel end wears out to where it is still snapped to the dogs collar but of course in 2 pieces.

Maybe not the best set up, but shouldn't be related to the dog biting the girls nose.

3) Whether the dog is neutered or not it shouldn't have bit someone.

I don't make excuses for the dog. He might have really bit her on accident while she was playing and moved just right into him if she was down on his level. Something like what Chic mentioned. If so that sucks for both her and the dog. If not then there still isn't an excuse.

I've been on large yards and while I don't agree with how the dogs might live their lives they have not ever been aggressive to me. The dogs don't bite anyone on purpose or accident. Most of these breeders have kids who play with the dogs on their chains and help feed the dogs. No incidents. Of course the dogs are all intact because they are breeding/show dogs. So I see little reason for this. I've interacted with some of these dogs many times, including help in feeding them or just playing with them. One place I went to the owner was out of state, had about 20 dogs. That was the 2nd time I'd been to his place so the dogs barely knew me. I like to see dogs get more then what they do on some yards but the dogs don't bite people and send them to the hospital. So what is wrong with this dog? What made him bite like that during play? What part of the story are we missing? Like his breeding or treatment? There has to be a reason.

The dog looked overall healthy and its barking didn't look aggressive, just like regular barking. Maybe the dog was just too excited and I don't think thats acceptable either but I could see how it might happen.

So I guess I watched and took note. Dog shouldn't have bit her. Even on accident because that means probably the BF let him play using his mouth to hit. You shouldn't let dogs do that because of situations like this, they can be overpowering to small people and especially kids and accidents can happen. So it is probably the fault of the owner for letting his dog play the wrong way and learn that it was acceptable behavior. If the dog was just having some aggressive moment needs to be PTS because it has an unstable temperament. If it was truly an accident then the foolish owner needs to realize it and hopefully learned something even though sadly at the expense of his GF.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 PM

181 posts, read 1,076,832 times
I think it is funny that someone would post an article and only read what they want out of it. Here is the second half of the article that the OP chose to ignore:
Quote:
Jim Crosby, an animal behavioral expert who provides professional training, said as horrifying as Monday's attack was it's not an uncommon situation.

"If you're playing with the dog rambunctiously and you're at face level, it's not uncommon to get hit in the face with teeth. The dog may not have intended it," Crosby said.

Even after such a gruesome attack, Crosby told Channel 4 it does not necessarily mean the animal has a behavioral problem nor does it have to do with the animals' breed.

He said a dog's actions are more a function of nurture not nature.

"It's the size of the dog, how the dog is treated, the way the dog is brought up and the way people act around the dog," Crosby said.
The Dog Breed Issue - National Canine Research Council
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs