Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

This is Ellie & we adopted her last week She's a lab mix & VERY smart! VERY! She knows most commands & LOVES to talk! However she is leash aggressive towards other dogs who are also on a leash. We also have a 13 year old who isn't able to go on hikes with us anymore because of her age a 10-15 mile hike is too much for her these days. Ellie is 2 years & loves to get out. We are taking this slow & won't take her out too much on the trails until we deal with this. But we do walk her out close to the house & down the street. We have heard that food works great but she knows that a dog is coming down the trail even before we could get a treat out of our pockets. When we brought her home we had let her meet the older dog in the front yard & Daisy (the older dog) had no leash on. Ellie got a little excited but we walked her next to Daisy while she sniffed & did her thing. Now Ellie can walk with Daisy while she's on a leash & it's no big deal.

Any ideas besides food?
Attached Thumbnails
Leash Agressive with new dog.-my-stuff-189.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 12:15 PM

246 posts, read 278,934 times
Obedience training works wonders and in addition they are exposed to other dogs on leash in close proximity. Just a thought

Old 06-14-2015, 01:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Well Some dogs get this idea in there heads to protect the owner from others within that range of a leash. Taking her to a CLASS where other dogs are on leash will help! BUT Make sure you inform the Trainer! We had these dogs in class when I took them one rottie had to be started in another room & slowly add dogs took a long time to get him around a room full of dogs. Others not so long.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
Congratx on your new puppy! Labs are wonderful but have a high tendency to be super hyper.

When my lab/pit mix sees another dog, even yards away, she gets so excited that she seem to show all the sign of 'aggression' except growling or teeth showin. Other pet owners were convinced my dog wants to charge at their dog, when in fact, all she wanted to do was to say hi, play with me!

Some dogs, like labs, unless trained, can be super hyper and overly excited just by the sight of their favorite things. To fix this, I would have dog sit, facing me, while I distract her with treats (hot dogs or ham works very well to keep a hyper dog attention on you). Or if I had no treats on me, I would go around the other owner, wait behind a parked car or bush that is between us so my dog can't see, or move past the other dog as fast as you can while telling her "let's go!"

Work on sit, stay and leave it commands really applies to these walks.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
Oh just a quick note, use front clip harnesses. They work great! Avoid back clip until she is loose leash trained.

Head guards work too, but I refuse to continue using it, especially front clip works better and in my opinion, appears more humane. My dog hated having a head guard around her head.

Please do not use shock collars and pinch collars. Studies have shown that these used long term causes psychological damage to your dog.

Positive reinforcement works. Treats work. Praises work.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:01 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
This is slightly off topic, but I looked at the pic and see one potential problem:

Remove her food and water dish from next to her bed and place it in another room. Placing her food next to her bed can create problems with resource guarding and food aggression. Dogs view their beds as their safe spot and keeping the food there will cause a lot of dogs to begin protecting it with a resource guarding instinct. It's best to have it in a public place like the kitchen.

When I look at her profile, I see some Shar Pei features in the shape of her skull and earset. This would explain why she may be more prone to certain aggressive or protective tendencies on the leash.

I own a large breed that has also become leash aggressive late in life after being charged at by offleash dogs too many times on our walks. What works for me is remaining absolutely silent, calm, continuing to walk in a straight line, and ignoring the other dog completely, no verbal commands yelling "stop it" "no" or anything that would contribute more energy to the situation and make the dog get more riled up. If she escalates or barks doing anything beyond spinning with hackles up, I will give a quick jerk on the training color and a fast "no" reprimand, but always continue walking as normal. The faster this happens and we continue to keep walking, the faster the situation is diffused without adding drama, and we continue on our way to focus on more positive aspects of the walk along with praise.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
This is slightly off topic, but I looked at the pic and see one potential problem:

Remove her food and water dish from next to her bed and place it in another room. Placing her food next to her bed can create problems with resource guarding and food aggression. Dogs view their beds as their safe spot and keeping the food there will cause a lot of dogs to begin protecting it with a resource guarding instinct. It's best to have it in a public place like the kitchen.

When I look at her profile, I see some Shar Pei features in the shape of her skull and earset. This would explain why she may be more prone to certain aggressive or protective tendencies on the leash.

That's not her food bowl next to her that's the other dogs bowl & her bed lol. The water bowl has been moved because it's too close to the front door. She is crate trained & until she learns NOT to chase the cats she will stay there unless we are home. She won't hurt them she just wants to play. Our vet said she has some Shepard in her too because of how alert she is. It's always hard to tell with a mix breed unless you saw the other dog.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
That's not her food bowl next to her that's the other dogs bowl & her bed lol.
Anybody's food bowl kept next to her bed can cause resource guarding. She doesn't know who's food it's supposed to be, only that it's hers now because it's kept in her space.

Just trying to help you avoid more potential issues with her resource guarding around your other animals

Old 06-15-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Anybody's food bowl kept next to her bed can cause resource guarding. She doesn't know who's food it's supposed to be, only that it's hers now because it's kept in her space.

Just trying to help you avoid more potential issues with her resource guarding around your other animals

We feed them separate from the other but thank you. And she does know remember I said she is SMART!

Old 06-15-2015, 01:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Oh just a quick note, use front clip harnesses. They work great! Avoid back clip until she is loose leash trained.

Head guards work too, but I refuse to continue using it, especially front clip works better and in my opinion, appears more humane. My dog hated having a head guard around her head.

Please do not use shock collars and pinch collars. Studies have shown that these used long term causes psychological damage to your dog
Prong collar are comparatively safer than flat collars. With the flat collar the dog will just pull and choke themselves, but with the prong collar they won't.

Quote:
Positive reinforcement works. Treats work. Praises work.
As long as whatever you have is better than whatever the dog wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs