Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:37 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times

Advertisements

I am so against this, and would never think of doing this to your pup.

My next door neighbor 'thinks' she can feed my dog her table scraps. They have a terrible diet, and to top that, she's what my wife and I both consider a lune-toon. So saying something to her is out of the question. Poisoning might ensue, this woman is off her meds-literally, according to her husband.
He is sane, but hen-pecked by the nut-job.

Without going into more detail, wife and I both agree on this, so saying anything to him would only cause him and their two children grief.

Thank goodness I live on acreage and property is fenced, but her home is within 20 feet of one side, and she constantly calls my very sweet Great pyr to fence, and indulges him in her junk, that we as humans would not even digest.

Leonardo is getting older, and has always had a delicate system. That barrel chest they possess has always had us a burper and farter. We are very careful with his diet, and then this.

Without getting on her bad-side, any suggestions?

Last edited by TerraDown; 09-29-2015 at 04:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:00 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Put the dog on a tether that doesnt allow him to reach any food given or thrown over.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:08 AM

I will not tether a dog, that is animal cruelty. Besides, it's illegal (thankfully) where I live.
I'm one of those people who will call Animal Advocate societies, control, etc... if I see this type of human behavior.

Why would I want to tether a dog whose gigantic, needs to run, and has multiple acreage in which to do so?

Please don't answer that question.

Last edited by TerraDown; 09-29-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 05:24 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times
What do you feed her dog?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:29 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Have you told her what you posted, about the dog being older and the health issue? That is where I would start. "We know our dog really enjoys the treats you have been giving him but being older and his digestion not being what it used to be, it causes him some issues so we would appreciate your maybe just giving him some kind words rather than the treats."

Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I will not tether a dog, that is animal cruelty. Besides, it's illegal (thankfully) where I live.

Why would I want to tether a dog whose gigantic, needs to run, and has multiple acreage in which to do so?

Please don't answer that question.
Oh god.....................

Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Have you told her what you posted, about the dog being older and the health issue? That is where I would start. "We know our dog really enjoys the treats you have been giving him but being older and his digestion not being what it used to be, it causes him some issues so we would appreciate your maybe just giving him some kind words rather than the treats."
Actually, it's like walking on broken glass with her. She really is a 'call the shot' kind of person. You never know how she's going to respond. You can't tell her anything logical. It escapes her, and if she takes it the wrong way, she is the type that could retaliate through hurting my dog.

One minute she's 'OK,' next she's off her rocker. If not handled with kid gloves, gawd only knows what she'll do next.

Her husband is my fishing buddy, imagine the stories of her transgressions I've heard.

But your idea has me pondering. TY. I've got to do something. I work most of the time, wife is the one at home, and can't guard the dog on a constant basis. She has a more volatile personality than me, so am trying to avoid confrontation, and still protect my dog.

Last edited by TerraDown; 09-29-2015 at 06:00 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 06:08 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,745 times
I wouldn't even bother with talking with them. You could mention it to the husband, whose hands are tied. Unless he can control her, she is going to do what she wants to do.

This is a tough one. Dealing with crazy neighbors is never easy. Most of the time, you just deal with it. It may seem unfair that you will have to change as she will more likely not compromise. You could grow some tall bushes around that area of the fence to block her. Install a digital fence that stops your dog from going near her. The other problem I think you may get is if your dog can't reach her food, the raccoons and other animals will. At the same time, that could also be your solution. You can then call animal control and have them deal with her for feeding wildlife.

Can't argue with crazy.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Actually, it's like walking on broken glass with her. She really is a 'call the shot' kind of person. You never know how she's going to respond. You can't tell her anything logical. It escapes her.

One hour she's 'OK,' next she's off her rocker. If not handled with kid gloves, gawd only knows what she'll do next.

Her husband is my fishing buddy, imagine the stories of her transgressions I've heard.

But your idea has me pondering. TY. I've got to do something. I work most of the time, wife is the one at home, and can't guard the dog on a constant basis. She has a more volatile personality than me, so am trying to avoid confrontation, and still protect my dog.
Lovely. So, she/your neighbor has learned that being volatile and unpredictable gets people to treat her with kid gloves and reduces any demands made on her, even reasonable ones like yours.... Oh my.

Since you don't feel comfortable speaking with your neighbor, I think a barrier that prevents your neighbor from reaching your dog is the only solution. What kind of a fence do you have up now on that side of the yard that allows your neighbor to get to your dog? Put up a 7' solid fence around any perimeter that you share with your neighbor. You might even consider leaving the existing fence in place and erecting the new one a foot or two inside the existing one to create a double barrier. Also, that way, since you wouldn't be disrupting the property line by tearing out the existing fence, you really wouldn't owe them any explanation for putting up the new fence.

Hopefully the fishing buddy husband will be savvy enough not to ask for an explanation.... You could always generally say that it was for your dog's safety or to keep coyotes out of your yard or whatever you feel would satisfy him. My dog's safety trumps everything though, so would do whatever I needed to ensure that, and I really don't think you owe your fishing buddy anything other than the most general explanation if that.

Good luck.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 09-29-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 AM

Twelvepaw, I may have said that in a way you don't understand.
Yes, wife is more volatile than me, but not in a confrontational way, except to me.
She has not confronted neighbor, but lets me know what is going on, and it concerns her, as she loves Leo too. We are both searching for answers.
And to both posters above me. We have made a large island (hill) that traverses the length of their house, and planted plants that hopefully by next spring will cover the view. We are not zoned to place a hard barrier. I have placed vines all over the 5 foot chain link (my fence) by their house as well.
But Banana Anna still keeps it up.
If wife didn't have other responsibilities, she could guard Leo entire time. But dog weighs 135, wife weighs 110. He would simply pull her through the yard to get to Banana Anna treats. (we've thought of leash-walking through property)
They are renters, we are owners.
And with winter coming, dog wants to be out more.
Yes, everyone treats her with kid gloves. She thrives on it. It's a debilitating situation. I'm not her keeper, I'm my dog's keeper, so at a loss. Don't hang around the crazies, so at a loss right now.

Last edited by TerraDown; 09-29-2015 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs