Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times

Advertisements

My son just adopted a lab mix who, according to her previous owners, has been fixed. She's a year and two months old. She has a raging obsession with pillows and when she gets a hold of them, she humps on them. I've never seen this before in a female dog. Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
Could be many things such as dominance, "emotional" type of anxiety, excess energy.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Female dogs will definitely hump too. They might not do it as much as the males, but even spayed females hump sometimes, for dominance or maybe just because they enjoy it.

My suggestion would be to give the lab mix a particular pillow and let her do her thing. Take away all other pillows if she tries to get them and redirect the energy to "her" pillow. Then your son could put the pillow away if he has company over to hopefully discourage humping in front of guests.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
My female dog humped like crazy when I first got her! One day we were on a walk and another dog owner and I were talking, and she went up to the other dog owner and humped her leg, lol.

She totally stopped doing it and I can't remember if it was after her spay or not. Normally the shelter doesn't adopt out dogs before they're spayed, but at this time they all had kennel cough and they sent them hope before the spay with orders to come back for the spay. I think that was around a two-week period (the vet school students do it and they were out).

Anyway, my dog was insanely hyper when I got her. The humping was pretty hysterical (the total destruction of everything - not !)

Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
dominance and excitment.

my female humps my male when there playing, its 100% normal.

If it bothers you try re-directing and dont let her have pillows, if she tries to hump, a firm NO and distract her with something alot more interesting...a toy, a treat, get her focused on something else.
but honestly it is normal, its just not "propper" lol.

Also make sure shes getting plenty of excersize during the day, dogs with pent up energy tend to be more "agressive" (frequent) than dogs who are properly excersized, Labs are HIGH energy, and there still puppies untill 2 1/2-3yrs old in terms of energy and personality.

Shes got a new home a new family and shes young, shes just trying to figure out where everyting fits together and shes taking that "frustration" out by humping the pillows...get her out more, make sure shes mentaly stimulated and redirect when she does something undesirabel, it should die down as she gets a little older and settled into her new home

Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
My female Lab mix dog does that too. I've tried telling her she is not a boy, but she won't listen!

Then I had one neighbor with a male dog and they took that dog over to my other neighbors who had a female dog (fixed). Then the male dog started humping the female dog...

The only problem was he "commenced operations" at the wrong end!

We were all laughing ourselves silly! Dogs can sure be funny sometimes.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
My female Lab mix dog does that too. I've tried telling her she is not a boy, but she won't listen!

Then I had one neighbor with a male dog and they took that dog over to my other neighbors who had a female dog (fixed). Then the male dog started humping the female dog...

The only problem was he "commenced operations" at the wrong end!

We were all laughing ourselves silly! Dogs can sure be funny sometimes.
I found a husky and kept him a few days until I could find his owner. He kept trying to hump my spayed female pup, but he was going for the wrong end too. She bit him a few times.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Most likely its anxiety. Could also be behavioral but probably not. I really don't think its dominance. Give the dog a bit of time to settle in. Correct the humping if it bothers you or I'd suggest just to ignore it for now to see what happens. I'm thinking it will stop on its own as the dog settles in. If not, redirection training will correct the behavior.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
My female dog humped like crazy when I first got her! One day we were on a walk and another dog owner and I were talking, and she went up to the other dog owner and humped her leg, lol.

Anyway, my dog was insanely hyper when I got her. The humping was pretty hysterical
I couldn't believe this when I saw it scanning the board. Had an Australian Shepherd spayed female. A few times, to keep her from coming into the house or going into the car, I put out my leg to prevent her from entering. One time, she grabbed my lower leg with her paws and started humping. I thought it was hilariously funny. She sporadically would do that. I've heard it's dominance. In her case, I think it was anxiety and restlessness. She was hyperactive. I'll never forget when I had to have her put down for hip dysplasia. What a smart dog!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
Um, my fixed female rescue, black flat coated retriever, with a lil border collie mix, humps our male, fixed Sheltie, anytime she can get a hold of him. Just her showing she is the alpha female dog. Lol I tell her, the rescue Sheltie gets it, she's the boss. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs