Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 PM

231 posts, read 334,835 times

Advertisements

Okay but I do leash my dog ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:41 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
We have 4 FT of snow at both the Back & Front doors! I am sooo Happy my Girls are Litter Box Trained!

Old 01-23-2016, 04:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will try to worry less but I think it will be on my mind until the business gets done. The whole time I was outside I just kept thinking why couldn't she just pick a spot and go...

Next time I am preparing for a blizzard, I will be adding pumpkin to my grocery list.
She may be picking up your anxiety. Except for the cold and it should be business as usual. Get a shovel, you'll need it to clear a path and pick up poo. Besides, unless maintenance lives on site it could be a bit so best to be self reliant.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:33 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
4 feet of snow? Dog can use the bathroom like the rest of us. I'm not going out there.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:42 PM

There's like 3-4 ft of snow so I'm not going to be able to clear a path for her. I cleared a spot for her next to the door but she likes to go potty much further away but it's even hard for me to walk. She still has not pooped and she tried dunking her head in the snow to get a smell but had to come up right away. She always has to sniff out a smell and pick her spot so she is having a hard time. I feel really bad for her .

Old 01-24-2016, 07:51 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
I assume that this much snow (at least) is new to her as well as apartment living? She'll adjust but it will take time.

If you can get some and she'll eat it (our dogs absolutely love it) get some papaya and let her eat as much as she wants. Then watch her carefully so that you can take her out as soon as it's digested. Our dog was very constipated and this worked for her yesterday.

And if you don't have a long flex lead (made for a large dog like this one for example: Robot Check ) get one. This will allow her to have some freedom to find a spot while you still have control over her. This is one of the few uses for flex leads that I personally have use for.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the tip. I never knew papaya would be good for constipation but unfortunately I cannot drive yet as there is a lot of snow on the ground and I am scared to drive in the snow.

Good news! The snow finally stopped and the maintenance is clearing the parking lot so we were able to walk around and she just pooped while she was walking. I don't even know if she knew that she pooped because she usually squats but it just fell out while walking. TMI but I'm so happy that she was finally able to go.

I had a retractable leash but since my dog is so big and pulls on the leash, it broke like within a week of use. I put together 5 leashes and made one long one but it just kept getting tangled.

Thank you everyone for the help! Next time, I will definitely be more prepared.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:28 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I never knew papaya would be good for constipation but unfortunately I cannot drive yet as there is a lot of snow on the ground and I am scared to drive in the snow.

Good news! The snow finally stopped and the maintenance is clearing the parking lot so we were able to walk around and she just pooped while she was walking. I don't even know if she knew that she pooped because she usually squats but it just fell out while walking. TMI but I'm so happy that she was finally able to go.

I had a retractable leash but since my dog is so big and pulls on the leash, it broke like within a week of use. I put together 5 leashes and made one long one but it just kept getting tangled.

Thank you everyone for the help! Next time, I will definitely be more prepared.
Next time you go to Petsmart or Petco, get a TIE-OUT LINE. It is a plastic-covered metal cable. They do not tangle. Get one thick enough so your dog can't chew through it. They come in different lengths.

I have one attached to the porch post, so it reaches to my front door and in the other direction it reaches to the lawn. Or you could use it like a leash in the snow.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will try to worry less but I think it will be on my mind until the business gets done. The whole time I was outside I just kept thinking why couldn't she just pick a spot and go...

Next time I am preparing for a blizzard, I will be adding pumpkin to my grocery list.
I always thought pumpkin and rice were used to stop diarrhea. Anyway, a dog is not constipated if they miss a day or two. People either.

And I wouldn't be giving a dog something to make her go during a snow storm - you could end up with diarrhea in the house.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:27 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I always thought pumpkin and rice were used to stop diarrhea. Anyway, a dog is not constipated if they miss a day or two. People either.

And I wouldn't be giving a dog something to make her go during a snow storm - you could end up with diarrhea in the house.
I second that idea! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs