Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 12:47 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,134,929 times

Advertisements

I have two dogs, one is a little old guy. When we finally have to say bye to our little Jack, I have thought of fostering another. There is so much need. But I have often worried about what happens when you foster, the dog bonds with you, becomes part of your pack, then you give them away to their "forever" home. Wouldn't that be very upsetting for them? After all, some dogs are in foster care for a year or more. I would hate to cause more heartache for these dogs. Not to mention my own! Anyone here do this, and can ease my worries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 12:49 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I have two dogs, one is a little old guy. When we finally have to say bye to our little Jack, I have thought of fostering another. There is so much need. But I have often worried about what happens when you foster, the dog bonds with you, becomes part of your pack, then you give them away to their "forever" home. Wouldn't that be very upsetting for them? After all, some dogs are in foster care for a year or more. I would hate to cause more heartache for these dogs. Not to mention my own! Anyone here do this, and can ease my worries?
I have done it. It keeps dogs out of shelters. You are doing something good by fostering. Would you rather see this dog in a (kill) shelter, caged and scared?

My dog was okay with others coming and going but I am not sure if this is the norm.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:57 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times
I don't foster because I get too attached (the one and only time I tried to foster, I "fostered" a kitten for 18 years) but I admire those who can do it. There is a HUGE need for fosters. I've volunteered in animal rescue for a long time and the vast majority of dogs do just fine when they go from their foster home to there forever home. I'm sure it's an adjustment to start with but then they settle in and are happy with their new life. Most dogs do retain a soft spot for their foster family and are glad to see them if there is a rescue "reunion" event.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:26 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I'm sure it is upsetting, but it sure beats being dead, which is what the alternative is.

It also helps stop the being bumped from home to home because the foster home evaluates the dog and hopefully trains the dog to have some manners so it is easier to find a permanent home that is a good fit where the dog will stick for life.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
A little secret that dogs do not want you to know. When you leave them at the babysitter, they plead and beg while you can still see them and as soon as you are out the driveway,, they bounce into happy play mode. They are happy and fine until you come back and then they do the "so happy to see you" dance.

Dogs live in the moment. Of course they miss people and sometimes it makes them a little insecure, but they always make the best of their situation. If they go to a good family, the dog will fit himself in.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A little secret that dogs do not want you to know. When you leave them at the babysitter, they plead and beg while you can still see them and as soon as you are out the driveway,, they bounce into happy play mode. They are happy and fine until you come back and then they do the "so happy to see you" dance.

Dogs live in the moment. Of course they miss people and sometimes it makes them a little insecure, but they always make the best of their situation. If they go to a good family, the dog will fit himself in.
This is so true as the first time I boarded Jazz at a kennel that was not the one she had done some day care at she freaked out and put on quite the show. The owners of the kennel thought " Oh no this is going to be one of those dogs that does not eat while its owner is gone" Well they took her and put her in the run and when she was offered food she was eating it before the bowl was on the ground.

Rather then her being upset after the show she put on for me she adjusted right away and the man fell in love with her. The kennel was out on a ranch and when he tended his garden he would let her out to keep him company and play some ball. She had a great time and the times after that that she had to board there she was excited the minute we turned onto the ranch.

It was a sad day when they closed and we started using the vets for boarding. She would put on a show each time by standing up and wrapping her front paws around my legs just like a human kid wrapping her arms around her parent and she would whine. Everyone there would laugh as they said the minute you walk out the door she is fine. I know from how she was with the kennel assistants and they were with her that was true. Some of them would even ask me if I had anymore trips for the year planned as they claimed they enjoyed her and Dash and enjoy having them there. Jazz had her fan club there sadly it did not include the vets as they were afraid of her which many of the kennel assistants thought was funny as she was 100% love bug with them.

But man what a show she would put on guilt me into not wanting to go if I had not known better.

My friend is a puppy raiser for guide dogs and she gets the puppy for 12 -18 months depending when the need them back. They are very bonded yet when they go back to go to school they are fine and when they go to their forever home be it a blind person or just a normal family if they flunk out they are fine too. Some of the failures have ended up with people she knows so she does get to see them from time to time and they are happy to see her but not at all confused as to who their family now is.

A couple years ago she got a call from the school one of the puppies she had raised that went on to be a guide dog was now 12 and retired and the blind person was having health issues so had to give her back to guide dogs so they were trying to find her a home. My friend and her husband said sure they would take her and once again it really was not big deal she settled in and lived a very happy life for the couple of years she had left.

None of the adult dogs I have adopted ever acted like they missed their previous owners either. Dogs are much more adaptable and live in the moment then we humans do.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:36 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I worked for a veterinarian back in the 1980s and found this to be very true (although, to be honest, the last place I'd ever board my dogs would be at a vet clinic).

Old 10-14-2016, 07:52 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
I have fostered a lot of dogs through the years and started long before it became a thing. There is a long story behind it but basically I discovered that if I housebroke a dog along with teaching it a couple of basic commands and some good dog citizen behaviors, I could turn a dog from shelter (death) bound to long term beloved pet for another family. It is amazing how many people struggle with the self discipline to be consistent and patient for about 4-6 weeks even when the reward is having about 10-15 years of pure love in their life. I have been a little sad to see each of them go but I have always tempered that with understanding that getting a broken-in dog may be the only way that family could successfully have a dog, so I am opening up homes that would otherwise be unavailable. I look at it like I do with my human students, my job is to help them have a good life when I am no longer an active part of it.

As for the dogs, my own seem to adjust pretty well, I think they just see it as normal. Who knows, maybe they think they are something really special because they always get to stay. The dogs that left, based on the ones I still had occasional contact with and from what I heard from the new owners did just fine after a day or two. I finally this year had my first foster fail, not bad after over 40 years of doing this. He was a special case and the vet convinced me he would have a hard time successfully going to a new home. After thinking about it I agreed, what was odd is I think he knew when I made that decision.

You do everyone a favor when you foster, most of all the dog you give that temporary home to.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:31 AM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I have been tempted to foster too. Our dog would like the company, and so many dogs need help.We got our dog from a foster mother, who is very professional. I know that she puts a lot of time into behavioral problems and their health and training, and also matching dogs to owners.
I think I really don't have the dedication to do a good job, because I know the job is more than just providing a safe and dry place. Maybe someday.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:07 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have been tempted to foster too. Our dog would like the company, and so many dogs need help.We got our dog from a foster mother, who is very professional. I know that she puts a lot of time into behavioral problems and their health and training, and also matching dogs to owners.
I think I really don't have the dedication to do a good job, because I know the job is more than just providing a safe and dry place. Maybe someday.
Some do just need a safe and dry place, and some love, while they wait for a forever home. If you decide to foster you could let the rescue know what you are realistically willing to do. I have had some nearly perfect pups that I have fostered as well as a few crazy ones. A good rescue knows the foster home and matches charges accordingly. Do keep in mind that dogs often learn from each other. Nearly always, within a few days my fosters would follow my own dogs' example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs