Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times

Advertisements

Thanks again. Just got back from her walk. I didn't read the thread before we went but I did something similar to what Jumpindogs said to get her to stop pulling on the leash. Every time she pulled we stopped and didn't move again until she relaxed enough to sit.

She did good on the trail. She seemed very interested in other dogs but she left people including runners and bikers alone. We only saw on kid this time and we never got too close as they went another way. She got excited for a bit though. One person greeted her and she jumped up on him but quickly say when I told her to. So she's excited but listens.

To ringwise I never said I was letting her around small kids. She's been around bigger kids. But there kids in my neighborhood and in my family and she needs to learn to be calm around them when we go for walks or visit family. She's an incredibly cute dog and small at just 19 pounds so kids are drawn to her as well. When they approach she gets tail wiggly and so excited she jumps 3-4 feet in the air. She wants to lick them and jumps up on the for attention. She does something similar with adults but she likes kids more.

For the record the main reason the shelter said she couldn't go to a home with kids was because of food aggression. But I've yet to see this food aggression.

If I need to I will get a behaviorist or trainer. But I'd like to try myself before I shell out several hundred dollars. Especially considering the behavior isn't dangerous. Just annoying in a super friendly excited way.

Out walks wear her out. She's sound asleep now at my feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 04:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Dash was 1 yr old when I got him and he was part border collie, Out of all the dogs I had he was the one that was mouthy.He would often walk up to me or anyone else and take their hand gently in his mouth. He did not bite down but he would mouth you. I was told that is often a sign that a dog was taken away from their litter mates too early. It got better with age but even as an old guy sometimes he still did it with me when he was excited and it never bothered me so I let him.

Jazz being a BC X cattle dog would nip me in the butt when we ran, even at agility sometimes and when she was learning agility so was about 1 yr old a high school foot ball team use to jg around teh park and if she was off leash when they came, zoom off she would go to run with them and she would nip the slower boys butts, She did not nip hard it was like a pinch and those boys would all laugh . The coach asked if she could be his assistant.She also herded a large group of elementary kids that showed up to the park one day. She kept her herd together and would not let any of them leave it.In her mind it was her herd as she loved kids and she had control of her herd. The teachers once again asked if they could have her as they liked seeing the kids so well controlled. So yeah herding dogs can tend to herd people.

Both of them had very inhibited bites which means great control over their mouth which made me un- worried. Jazz would grab onto my youngest nephew by his arm , leg or clothing and pull him all over the place. He was a toddler at the time and she enjoyed controlling him and where he went. If some one that did not know them saw her doing it they would get concerned but we all let it be and the two of them were best friends her whole life. She loved that boy!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Dash dog, that's sort of what my dog does. Her "nip" is so gentle that it feels like she just bumping into you with an open mouth. If you aren't looking you it almost feels like she's holding your hand. It doesn't hurt at all. Not even like a pinch. Then again she's got a small mouth.

Just don't want people to think this is biting or real nipping.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:38 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...002-image.jpeg

Here is a picture of her. Lots of people think she might be part Australian shepherd.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
If you aren't looking you it almost feels like she's holding your hand. It doesn't hurt at all. Not even like a pinch. Then again she's got a small mouth.

Just don't want people to think this is biting or real nipping.
I know what you are talking about, and have had dogs who did this. A dog I used to watch/pet sit for used to take my hand very gently and chatter her teeth on my hand. I have had other dogs who would very gently grip my hand and just hold it in their mouth- no pressure. Every wolf-dog I have known has taken my hand in their mouth and chattered their teeth while holding it gently and happily.

In the case of (high-content) wolf-dogs, it is a sign of affection, a way of being with their human (I know, sounds strange, but it is a wolf thing). With dogs, I always interpreted this behavior in much the same way; it was never a threat or a threatening gesture; always done with happy content body language.

All that said, in the context of a public forum, without seeing the behavior and without knowing either dog or owner, I would still say to gently redirect and discourage the behavior. Especially since with dogs- you must be consistent, and since this dog may be around children, she must never be allowed to use her mouth.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...002-image.jpeg

Here is a picture of her. Lots of people think she might be part Australian shepherd.
She looks part border collie to me, so may be a mix of herding breeds, small so maybe a little sheltie mixed in with aussie and bc.
She is beautiful.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
She looks part border collie to me, so may be a mix of herding breeds, small so maybe a little sheltie mixed in with aussie and bc.
She is beautiful.
That was my impression too...more BC than Aussie. She is adorable. I'd take her in a heartbeat. Big win!

Old 03-29-2016, 05:19 PM

Oh my goal is to redirect or discourage the behavior. If nothing else it's not good manners.

What ever her mix is, she's really sweet and friendly. Smart too. She also has fur like silk it so soft. One feels compelled to pet her, but only when she's calm of course.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:39 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Sheltie ... But pic not telling all. Camera angle not great for really tell

Old 03-30-2016, 01:19 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I would also worry about her mouthing the wrong kid. Some parents these days seem so convinced that everyone is out to harm their kid, I would be concerned that some parent could jump to the wrong conclusion, make a stink to authorities or whatever and your dog is suddenly labeled as "vicious". My old Boxer was a bit mouthy and it always concerned me for this reason. I also was never able to completely cure him of jumping up. He wouldn't jump on me because he knew better, but anyone else was fair game. I always kept him on a short leash for these reasons when we were near kids to be on the safe side. He was a big love, but it could be a "bull in a china shop" kind of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs