Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,318,380 times

Advertisements

My male dogs squat to pee if they are not peeing on something vertical. If they are just peeing on the flat ground: squat. If they are peeing on a bush, tree, or pole (etc): hike.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,364,086 times
Half the time my female dog lifts her leg. No idea why.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 PM

377 posts, read 670,750 times
My male bulldog is like 4 years old. HE ALWAYS pees "like a girl"...has never once hiked his leg up to pee lol. I just thought it was because he was overweight? Or maybe he modeled himself after his sister bully? IDK but either way I think it's fine...

Old 05-23-2016, 07:20 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I've noticed a couple of times this week that my Maltipoo - approx 6 years old has squatted to pee. curious if anyone else has noticed this with their dog? I wondered if it was because we've gotten so much rain lately he wasn't comfortable standing on 3 legs in the wet grass/mud. no weird symptoms - no changes in other behaviors - maybe he's just more comfortable squatting.
Some boys will squat and some girls will lift. Doesn't matter. What matters is whether this behavior is new for your dog. If it is new then, as others have posted, it could be an indication of pain. I'd go to my vet chiropractor. May not seem urgent to you or others but 1) if your dog is squatting because he is in pain do you really want him to continue feeling that pain? and 2) if it's an issue that can worsen with time you may be kicking yourself later for not taking him in sooner if waiting caused a larger vet bill.

Dogs are notorious for hiding pain so no other symptoms may not mean much.

If you think it might be due to his feeling unstable on three legs on wet surfaces then try him on a solid surface like gravel or pavement and see what happens. If you think he may simply dislike like getting wet he'd actually prolly rather lift than squat since squatting gets his groin area wet.

Or he could just have decided that's the way he prefers to pee now. But you won't know that without a visit to a good vet who is experienced with detecting soft tissue/joint problems. Not all vets are. But the majority of chiropractic vets are since that is their specialty. Personally, I don't like to waste time and money so I go straight to the experts.

You can use this search tool if you don't already have a chiro vet. American Veterinary Chiropractic Association - chiropractic, spinal,

Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,958,274 times
thanks everyone for the info. I remembered later that evening that my sister had a male dog, who was raised with a female dog and he never lifted his leg - he always squatted.

As it turned out, I had to rush him to the vet Saturday morning with a partial prolapsed rectum.... the vet found inflammation in his colon and rectum, so it may have been the pain that caused him to squat. He hasn't squatted since. I am learning lots about dogs, that I never knew. And lucky for me, I have a great vet group -they've been very patient and informative to me. I ask questions and they give me clear answers, never rush through the appointment.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,236 times
Quote:
thanks everyone for the info. I remembered later that evening that my sister had a male dog, who was raised with a female dog and he never lifted his leg - he always squatted.

As it turned out, I had to rush him to the vet Saturday morning with a partial prolapsed rectum.... the vet found inflammation in his colon and rectum, so it may have been the pain that caused him to squat. He hasn't squatted since. I am learning lots about dogs, that I never knew. And lucky for me, I have a great vet group -they've been very patient and informative to me. I ask questions and they give me clear answers, never rush through the appointment.
That explains it. Glad he's better.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,958,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Some boys will squat and some girls will lift. Doesn't matter. What matters is whether this behavior is new for your dog. If it is new then, as others have posted, it could be an indication of pain. I'd go to my vet chiropractor. May not seem urgent to you or others but 1) if your dog is squatting because he is in pain do you really want him to continue feeling that pain? and 2) if it's an issue that can worsen with time you may be kicking yourself later for not taking him in sooner if waiting caused a larger vet bill.

Dogs are notorious for hiding pain so no other symptoms may not mean much.

If you think it might be due to his feeling unstable on three legs on wet surfaces then try him on a solid surface like gravel or pavement and see what happens. If you think he may simply dislike like getting wet he'd actually prolly rather lift than squat since squatting gets his groin area wet.

Or he could just have decided that's the way he prefers to pee now. But you won't know that without a visit to a good vet who is experienced with detecting soft tissue/joint problems. Not all vets are. But the majority of chiropractic vets are since that is their specialty. Personally, I don't like to waste time and money so I go straight to the experts.

You can use this search tool if you don't already have a chiro vet. American Veterinary Chiropractic Association - chiropractic, spinal,

He's stuck getting his groin area wet, his legs are only 4" long....

Old 05-24-2016, 11:36 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,374,806 times
Our 2 year old Boston Terrier has never lifted his leg. I wouldn't call what he does a squat, it's more of a forward lean. I don't really care how he does it as long as it's not in the house. LOL.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 53,095 times
Check the hind legs and hips. My dog doesn't lift his leg anymore to pee but he's 14 years old and has hip problems. The "peeing like a girl" started a little after I noticed he was having trouble with his hind quarters. If your dog is young you might just want to double check and make sure that everything is okay with his limbs and joints. Better safe than sorry!

Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times
Quote:

Don't worry even Experanced owners need to ask questions Main Rule of Thumb is When dog breaks a habit or starts for no visible reason acting different it Time to call the Vet ASAP! Hopefully your lil guy is on the mend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs