Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:46 AM

483 posts, read 418,557 times

Advertisements

As is not many crated dogs or even indoor dogs (even free roaming) have Roman's life with a house mom or dad 24/7. As most people work.

Just saying.

Then to me, a working outdoors, free roaming flock guardian (with minimal human contact, how they are good loyal guard dogs to sheeps, herd and humans aren't their main flock) dogs or herding sheep dogs have a better life with "pack" and "flock" contacts to keep them entertained then mere toys in the house.

Why they say.. dogs are happiest with a job.
Be it a service dog, therapy dogs etc. (who still needs socialization out of home like in hospitals, schools etc.) Or that working police or military dogs.

They are never just cooped up at home.

But most toy breeds, or low active breeds..
Now they be perfect for all day home environment.

See.. don't discriminate against other dogs with jobs.
Know all dogs are very very different.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:12 AM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Over 20 dogs rescued from Okmulgee County home covered with feces in hoarding situation - KJRH.com

Animal Hoarding News & Info: 100 dogs rescued after raid at southern KY facility

The Truth About Dog Hoarding And What You Can Do About It - BarkPost

^^^ just some examples of hoarding.

In my honest opinion and fairness, an abused dog hidden inside the house is less likely to spot than an abused outdoor dog. So most complaints will be from dogs left outdoors while those indoors may suffer but will be at the mercy of owners who finally tires and either bring the dog to shelter, leave dog go, or worse case uncared for till death.

Dogs can't talk.
So to be able to see the problem and hence correct it..
Is better than the dog abusers (who use to leave dogs out.. now will hide the fact till dog dies or something).
From the law.

Just another point to consider.
All dog breeds aside.
Their lives above all.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:20 AM

275 posts, read 469,905 times
I wasnt discriminating against dogs with jobs. I didn't even mention it. I said it sounded like you give your dog a great life even though he is outdoors a lot. It is my opinion that a lot of dogs who are outdoor dogs do not have the life your pup has but rather a far worse off life. I wish all dogs could have great lives. To me, dogs are members of my family but not everyone looks at it that way. No animal deserves to be abuzed, neglected, or mistreated. Unfortunately it seems to becoming more common. Just saying...

Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Another one size fits all dumb law. I have two dogs I let out by themselves and they have the run of miles of woods but they are usually around the house or come back in about 15 minutes. They "knock" when they want to come in. Occasionally a relatives dog visits for vacations or whatever and his dog will be gone if you do this. We have rope about 50 ft. and big yard in the back with nothing to get tangled on. So if I'm reading this correctly when I get up at 6AM and let the dogs out if I tie his dog to the rope and it's "bad" weather I'm liable for $500 fine?

Discretion and some common sense is the key and to be quite honest since it's the PETA types that gravitate to these types of jobs I doubt that is going to happen.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
I agree, coalman, that there are some breeds that you cannot leave untied when outside. Many years ago we had boxers who could not understand yard boundaries. They had to be leashed or tied. I think the argument is for those who let a dog tethered to a box with a muddy hole for its playground, day in and day out. To me that's kind of like bait for anything wild or rabid.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I think the argument is for those who let a dog tethered to a box with a muddy hole for its playground, day in and day out. To me that's kind of like bait for anything wild or rabid.
But doesn't this already fall under existing laws of animal cruelty? The point is such a law could allow an overzealous power hungry enforcement agent to walk around fining people. It's far to broad.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But doesn't this already fall under existing laws of animal cruelty? The point is such a law could allow an overzealous power hungry enforcement agent to walk around fining people. It's far to broad.
I'm afraid not. I was told, (and we reside in the same state, you and me), that as long as a dog has access to some sort of shelter and has food and water, they can be left at an abandoned building, tied up, and nothing can be done.

Agreed. One person's idea of cruelty can be very different from another's.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Another one size fits all dumb law. I have two dogs I let out by themselves and they have the run of miles of woods but they are usually around the house or come back in about 15 minutes. They "knock" when they want to come in. Occasionally a relatives dog visits for vacations or whatever and his dog will be gone if you do this. We have rope about 50 ft. and big yard in the back with nothing to get tangled on. So if I'm reading this correctly when I get up at 6AM and let the dogs out if I tie his dog to the rope and it's "bad" weather I'm liable for $500 fine?

Discretion and some common sense is the key and to be quite honest since it's the PETA types that gravitate to these types of jobs I doubt that is going to happen.
Yep. I have yet to see one of these laws written in a scientific manner. Here's what that would look like.

Hot car law: " .... left in a vehicle with ambient external temperature greater than 70 deg F, with incident solar loading of (X) watts per square meter impinging on more than 10% of the vehicle for more than 30 minutes ...."

Out-in-the-cold law: " ... a breed or mixed breed lacking double coat, arctic type coat, or having geriatric and / or special-needs characteristics, with ambient temperature less than 45 deg F during precipitation, less than 35 deg F without precipitation, or, wind chill factor less than 20 deg F tethered ... " etc.

I never see language like this in these laws. Instead, I see crap like " ... based on the judgement of the person rescuing or reporting ... " etc. Complete pile of crap.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:23 AM

I would like to see a more precise language but that may be a little over the top. My point is that just because a dog is tied doesn't mean anything, the law can work fine as long as the person enforcing it is using good judgement and discretion. On the other hand walking around handing out $500 fines to anyone is stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs