Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:51 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have two small kids, (4 and 14 months), I'm a stay at home mom, husband works a lot, we have a house (not fenced yard), we don't travel much. I think we are ready. How can I be sure?

Also, any thoughts on getting a puggle from a breeder vs good old fashioned shelter puppy or dog? The puggle would be a 2 hour drive one way, $400 for the dog, plus all the upcoming vet things including spay. We saw a few shelter dogs for under $200 that are UTD on vacs and already altered. I really love the puggle variety, but maybe a mutt would be suitable.

We are somewhat new to dog ownership, we just had them as kids growing up. I don't want to just jump into something like this without really considering all the details that I might be missing. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
We had the 2 dogs before the kids came along. Thus the kids were raised with doggies and learned to be gentle with the doggies right away. And we never had any problems at all. The dogs loved the kids.

You may want to consider a puppy or mature dog that is already used to kids. Many breed specific rescues will not adopt to families with young children. So you will likely have to go to a breeder if you want a specific breed.

Be aware that a puppy is like having a baby almost. You have to bring it outside constantly to housetrain it. Even in the middle of the night at times. It sheds (pugs really shed bad BTW) You must "baby proof' cause they chew on everything.

You can do it, just have to be prepared for how difficult dogs can be until age 2 or so. They need a lot of attention to be socialized properly and puppies need lots of exercise to calm down. They are hyper! And they need consistent training... many people give their dogs up after they are through puppy hood and into their difficult adolescent stage. If you have get a large dog, you will likely want to commit to obedience classes. You don't want the big dog knocking your kids over! And you will want to walk them on a leash, not have them walk you.

Dogs are expensive: spay/neuter, yearly shots, if something goes wrong with the dog, they swallow something, get injured, etc. If you are on a really tight budget, I would say get another pet.

Personally, I consider a puggle to be a designer dog. Although there seems to be breeders who are taking the breeding of this mix and labradoodles very seriously enough to breed out the bad traits. Please do Internet specific research on this breed and it's potential health problems. What I have heard happens with these "designer' breeds is that in 2nd generation or so, you begin to see the problems come up. I would grill the breeder before plunking down $400 and ask about guarantees, etc. (see sticky about finding a good breeder) If you don't like what you hear, walk.

good luck!!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
please consider a shelter dog or puppy.
We have one and he's amazing. They are on limited time and need homes and they love you so much for saving them. We found a pure or close to pure bred in the shelter and he's wonderful. I would've take a mix just as quick.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
I would slow it all down and not rush into this. Spend some time really thinking about lifestyle and why you want a pet. I would definitely support the idea of a rescue dog - it can be such a great lesson for your four year old about reaching out and giving a part of yourself to help an animal in need. Children really respond to that idea and can learn a lot about the joys of giving that they can apply to other experiences. I have also found that my children were more open to helping out with the pet-related chores when they understood that "this little guy really needed us". Of course, this will all go over the head of your two-legged baby, but he can hear stories about it later.

All that said, my rule when the kids were little was "No pets until everyone in the house can go to the bathroom by themselves". Worked for me!

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

All that said, my rule when the kids were little was "No pets until everyone in the house can go to the bathroom by themselves". Worked for me!
That's so funny

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
I agree with getting a shelter or rescue dog. My wife and I have 2 pure-bred labs and we just recently adopted a lab mix from a rescue. We don't have children and we gave a lot to local shelters and felt that adopting was the next step. She's a year old, house-broken and very sweet. You can also get some very good information from a foster family that has been keeping the dog. They can let you know all the good points and areas of opportunity. And, if for some reason it didn't work out, most rescues will happily take it back and find it a more suitable home. There are so many unwanted dogs out there that are so loveable and family friendly.

Another suggestion is asking a friend or a neighbor that has a dog that you would consider buying/adopting to "borrow" it for a weekend. I'm sure they'd appreciate the weekend without doggie duty and it would give you a chance to see what it is like owning a dog without the pressure of having to keep it if it didn't work.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Hi,
We saw a few shelter dogs for under $200 that are UTD on vacs and already altered. I really love the puggle variety, but maybe a mutt would be suitable.

a puggle IS a mutt.....so why pay $400 for one?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Call a local rescue and see if you can foster an older dog. They will probably know the history of the dog and if it is good with kids. We rescued a 5 year old dog and he is still wonderful at age 11. Puppy training takes a lot of time.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
As a breeder let me steer ya away from the so called designer breeds.Expensive mutts is all and cannot guarentee temperments and such and get close to it in a pound or look on petfinder cheaper.
Ready for a dog? Small kids would want a puppy really and that will be alot more work on you with diapers and potty training.
I am not trying to talk out of a wonderful pet but how much time will you have to walk dog as still cold in north,not sure where you are and be pain to bundle baby couple times a day to walk it.
Vet expenses even if UTD on shots boosters come,heartworm,flea meds,nail trims and such.
No fence or kennel hope not plan to chain up outdoors! I would actually wait at least til youngest gets on feet so have a little easier time with it.
this is a decision you must make along with hubby as nobody else can do it all we can do is give suggestions.

I know when I was little we had dog in house when sister was born and never bothered her and brought my first hound in when youngest was 1 1/2 years old. Also had others when older kids were born.
Just remember this it is a lifelong commitment to this animal which can be a good 15-16 years or more if get a puppy.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Yes, a puggle is a mutt, and I get all that that goes with finding a good breeder. After reading a little more, I'm not convinced that I want to go that route.

No, I don't plan on chaining up my dog outdoors (I'm an animal lover, have always been an advocate for animal rights etc.). We want a family, mostly indoor dog. Like I said, I'm mostly home, around a lot, and I think we would enjoy a dog and we have a lot of love and fun to give to a dog. We can afford the regular vet things for sure.

The fence thing does pose a slight problem since fencing in our yard will cost about $2,000 or more. But we live in NC where the weather is mostly mild. I'm not a wuss and can walk a dog a couple of times a day.

Yes, a lot to consider. Also, my husband travels, it would be nice to have a barker around just in case. Well I filled out an application for a puppy I saw, and maybe once we visit it, I can get a feel if I'm really up for the challenge. I just really want a dog....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs