Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:48 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,886 times

Advertisements

I have had two rescue dogs for about 9 months (I adopted both after my dog died last spring). They have always done fine together. One is a golden retriever, now 5, who was turned in by her owners at age 4 because someone in the family suddenly developed allergies (?). The other is an elderly Brittany Spaniel with a bad back and arthritis who was a stray in a rural shelter. They have both been great dogs and have always gotten along. So two days ago, for some reason the golden viciously attacked the Brittany. She pinned the Brittany on her back with her jaws in her ear and neck (the Brittany had to go to the vet, etc.). I swear, I think my golden would have killed her. Then about an hour ago it happened again. I was in the next room and am not sure how it evolved, but I heard the growling and pulled the golden off of her (and then the Brittany limped, whined, etc.). Both times, my golden was as vicious as any dog I've ever seen. The golden has always been a doll, very insecure but sweet. She has been known to growl and leap at small dogs for unknown reasons, but never this intensely and never at the Brittany. What in the world could be going on? I have been keeping them separate when I leave the house, but both times I was just a few feet away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
I have had two rescue dogs for about 9 months (I adopted both after my dog died last spring). They have always done fine together. One is a golden retriever, now 5, who was turned in by her owners at age 4 because someone in the family suddenly developed allergies (?). The other is an elderly Brittany Spaniel with a bad back and arthritis who was a stray in a rural shelter. They have both been great dogs and have always gotten along. So two days ago, for some reason the golden viciously attacked the Brittany. She pinned the Brittany on her back with her jaws in her ear and neck (the Brittany had to go to the vet, etc.). I swear, I think my golden would have killed her. Then about an hour ago it happened again. I was in the next room and am not sure how it evolved, but I heard the growling and pulled the golden off of her (and then the Brittany limped, whined, etc.). Both times, my golden was as vicious as any dog I've ever seen. The golden has always been a doll, very insecure but sweet. She has been known to growl and leap at small dogs for unknown reasons, but never this intensely and never at the Brittany. What in the world could be going on? I have been keeping them separate when I leave the house, but both times I was just a few feet away.
The fact that are were so close could have a lot to do with the attacks. This is typical canine behavior in estabishing dominance in a pecking order. It is possible the critter feels it's position in the "pack", so to speak, threatened by the attention you give the Britanny. Some call it a "jealous" defense and all dogs will behave this way to varying degrees depending on individual temperment. Sounds like your Golden has a bit of a temper in this regard. Breaking this will not be easy as physical discipline is about your only option, other than keeping them seperated, and not interacting with them both at the same time. Physical discipline will not really be effective either as it will cause more resentment by the Golden. Canines have emotional responses just like we do. Sorry to hear about this problem. It's a toughy.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Get yourself a good dog trainer that can show you the warning signs. They never do this unexpectedly. You have to watch their body language and you'll see it coming and can stop it before it goes further. I've had dogs much worse that this and been able to re-train them in a week, sometimes less. It's very do-able, but you need to get someone in there to show you what you're missing and teach you how to correct it.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times
Oh geez, another dog attack.
My answer would be dogs being dogs because that's what I've read in doing some research.
I wish there was a more precise reason and I hope someone posts it because I'd really like to know why this really happens.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,445,732 times
Another thought on this is that the older dog is elderly and feeble. Dogs are pack animals and when one is sick/feeble/old they can become prey. It is a dominance trait but also survival of the fittest. Just like a momma dog with a new litter will push away a weak or sick pup and sometimes kill them. This happened to me a couple of years ago, had a lab and a rescue, the rescue was 14 and the lab was 5. The lab was brought home at 2 months and raised with the rescue, constant companion for 5 yrs. The old dog was having a rough day and the lab attacked her, and I had to put her down it was so severe. After no problems for 5 yrs I sure didn't expect this or see it coming.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Get yourself a good dog trainer that can show you the warning signs. They never do this unexpectedly. You have to watch their body language and you'll see it coming and can stop it before it goes further. I've had dogs much worse that this and been able to re-train them in a week, sometimes less. It's very do-able, but you need to get someone in there to show you what you're missing and teach you how to correct it.
What if the dog is already trained and is normally well behaved and non aggressive?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. My original instinct was along the lines of 'the painter' that it was a biological response to her feebleness. But, the Brittany was pretty steady (although arthritic) until the attack two days ago. And then it occurred to me as I was typing the original post that I was nearby both times, along the lines of 'NVplumber'. Their routines have also been disrupted lately, inadvertently, just due to a bad flu in our house (thus, they've been getting less attention), and moving to a different (warmer) part of the house (thus, disruption in routines - and they are all about routine). I do have a trainer I used to help housebreak a third dog we are fostering for our rescue group. For what it's worth, this third dog, also a golden, has really been trying to protect the Brittany in these fights ... makes me want to keep her around, what a doll.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
My newest lab snapped at my old mini poodle (about 15 years old) the other day and the poodle started crying. He wasn't injured, just scared.. The poodle is deaf and with cataracts, and just doesn't know any better in certain social dog situations. He can't hear the warning growls and the other dogs don't understand that he is deaf. The poodle acts a bit like a bumbling Mr. Magoo, completely oblivious to any threats. I'm sure that there was just some sort of minor misunderstanding between the two dogs. The poodle mostly likes to stand by my desk next to me. So now, because he's fairly small, I keep him in his bed inside a Rubbermaid tub next to me. The tub prevents the other dogs from bumping into him or trying to steal his bed or treats. He mostly sleeps these days.

Maybe you can find something similar to my Rubbermaid tub for your Brittany to sleep in, be near you and out of the way of the other more active dogs.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
How is the older dogs vision? Could be he is not seeing as well and stares at the Golden and that is considered an aggressive move by dogs. When I adopted Phoenix ( homozygous merele aussie who is deaf and has vision issues) she would stop and stare at my other dogs if they were approaching. Dash was OK with It Jazz was not. Jazz would growl a warning that of course fell on deaf ears and when Phoenix would not respond Jazz would attack her. Jazz never hurt her but being attacked was a terrifing ordeal for Phoenix which is why after 1.5 yrs I rehomed her with my parents. Alot of aggressive acts are started by one dog staring so when possible do not let your dogs stare at another dog. Most people miss that when a dog gets attacked so often it was started by the dog that got attacked not by the dog that did attack. Direct contact is a very aggressive thing in their lives.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 AM

Yes, she definitely has senior "bug eyes" with an opaque look (although she gets around so she's not blind, etc.). Whatever is going on is now full blown - the golden seems to be lashing out whenever they are in the same room. The Brittany is in full protective custody 24/7. I contacted my trainer and she recommended a thyroid test for the golden and you know, she has been losing weight quite gradually on a diet that has maintained the weight of the other dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs