Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:05 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times

Advertisements

There is no way its full blooded CoolHeat.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
The coloring makes me think of a "pit bull", but that's about it. To me, her head/face, body and tail don't look like an APBT. I wouldn't be surprised if she had a little bit of "pit bull" in her, but like someone else already said, if she does have "pit bull" in her, I would guess it would be less than 1/2.

In most places where the "pit bull" breeds are banned, any dog that even looks like it could be an APBT, AmStaff, Staffie or a mix of any of the "pit bull" breeds, would be considered a "pit bull".

Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHeat View Post
Surprising that some posters here are encouraging you to be dishonest. I think your dog looks like a full blooded pit bull so I doubt you will be able to get away with lying. Why set yourself up for possibly breaking the lease?
I haven't read all of the posts yet, so I'm not sure who you are talking about, but if people are saying for her to say that her dog is not a "pit bull", that's not lying. As far as the dog looking like a "full blooded pit" you really couldn't be more wrong. As I said before, her coloring reminds me of an APBT, but nothing else does. All three of the "pit bull" breeds look very similar, APBTs and AmStaffs look almost exactly alike and Staffies are really just smaller, but because I own three APBTs, I will talk about them. Here is the UKC breed standard for the American Pit Bull Terrier.

United Kennel Club: UKC-Recognized Breeds (broken link)
Taken From Text:
Quote:
The American Pit Bull Terrier is a medium-sized, solidly built, short-coated dog with smooth, well-defined musculature. This breed is both powerful and athletic. The body is just slightly longer than tall, but ******* may be somewhat longer in body than dogs. The length of the front leg (measured from point of elbow to the ground) is approximately equal to one-half of the dog's height at the withers. The head is of medium length, with a broad, flat skull, and a wide, deep muzzle. Ears are small to medium in size, high set, and may be natural or cropped. The relatively short tail is set low, thick at the base and tapers to a point. The American Pit Bull Terrier comes in all colors and color patterns. This breed combines strength and athleticism with grace and agility and should never appear bulky or muscle-bound or fine-boned and rangy
Now, first let me say that the dog we are talking about definitely doesn't look like it's out of shape or over weight, she is absolutely gorgeous, but she doesn't have an APBT body, IMHO. APBTs are naturally lean and muscular. She doesn't have the head of an APBT and her tail looks nothing like an APBTs tail. I would say her body and tail look more like a Lab than a "pit bull". She also looks like a large dog, maybe the size of a Lab, and the "pit bull" breeds are small-medium breeds. Here are two pictures of one of our APBTs..

You can see a huge difference in how an APBT looks and how Jrv712's dog looks.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
Looking at ther pictures:
Very strong lab body structure, coat, head, and tail.
The white marking do not match a typical bully breed unless you are thinking American bulldog, maybe boxer, but that's a stretch.
The red nose would first appear to look like a rednose pittie, but look again folks---See those spots underneath the fur?? Notice the spots do not extend into the fur??? That distinct trait is NOT common in bull terrier breeds. We all know the distinct markings of pitbuls and AmStaffs have small portions of whit going up the chest and into the neck as in other terrier breeds. Hardly ever on the face. It occurs but it's rare.

In my opinion, based on that, no pitbull at all. Lab mix with some sort of pointer or something to get the red nose and spots.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHeat View Post
Surprising that some posters here are encouraging you to be dishonest. I think your dog looks like a full blooded pit bull so I doubt you will be able to get away with lying. Why set yourself up for possibly breaking the lease?
The dog doesn't even begin to resemble a pit to me. It's people who have no idea what a pit actually looks like who makes life a living hell for the rest of us with "similar" dogs. I have an alapaha bulldog and we've had the cops called on us several times because she's not muzzled- but she barely even resembles a pit! (not that pits should be muzzled anyway..)

Ridiculous.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 PM

32 posts, read 215,829 times
People say my dog looks like a pit all the time. I don't see it. His face is somewhat square, but he is Black Lab/Border Collie. My dogs face looks a lot like yours. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,112 times
No!! Not at all!!! I assumption is that, the pple that think your dog looks like a pitbull are probably the same pple that presume that Pitbulls are dangerous. As educated dog owners, we know it's not the breed, but how you raise them.

He/she is cute...you are sooo lucky to have such a sweet face like his/her with you! I bet he/she loves bunches too!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
My opinion is no. Head width is too narrow and snout too long. However, if you personally know your dog to be a pit bull or have pit bloodlines, why are you even considering moving to a place that disallows them? You are just asking for a world of problems. If you doubt this, try to find a rescue group - even one that only takes in pits - and see what you find.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
honestly, if this dog was any other color, say, solid black, I wouldn't hesitate to say that dog had little to no pit bull in her. it's really only the color that screams out "pit bull" to me, but other breeds can have red noses and coats. I 100% see this dog being at least half lab, but I just don't see much pit. of course, it's possible she's a combo of lots of breeds

even though a lot of us hear don't see any pit in her, I wouldn't chance it in a town/city w/ a BSL. to most uneducated, any muscular dog w/ a large head=pit bull, any brindle, red coat/red nose, blue nose/blue coat=pit bull. hell, I've heard of purebred great danes, mastiffs, and bull terriers being mislabeled as pit bulls.

you could always do DNA testing just as an assurance (read an article somewhere, maybe here, where a guy got a DNA test to prove his dog wasn't a pit bull), but I think if any pit savvy person met your dog in person, can tell for sure if your dog has any pit bull in her

Old 03-01-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
honestly, if this dog was any other color, say, solid black, I wouldn't hesitate to say that dog had little to no pit bull in her. it's really only the color that screams out "pit bull" to me, but other breeds can have red noses and coats. I 100% see this dog being at least half lab, but I just don't see much pit. of course, it's possible she's a combo of lots of breeds

even though a lot of us hear don't see any pit in her, I wouldn't chance it in a town/city w/ a BSL. to most uneducated, any muscular dog w/ a large head=pit bull, any brindle, red coat/red nose, blue nose/blue coat=pit bull. hell, I've heard of purebred great danes, mastiffs, and bull terriers being mislabeled as pit bulls.

you could always do DNA testing just as an assurance (read an article somewhere, maybe here, where a guy got a DNA test to prove his dog wasn't a pit bull), but I think if any pit savvy person met your dog in person, can tell for sure if your dog has any pit bull in her
I agree with you, as I said before, the color makes me think of a pitty, especially the red nose, but that's it. If she has pit in her, it's not much at all, IMO anyway. I do LOVE her coloring though! I think she's beautiful whatever she is! To me, it's sad that people even have to worry about this stuff. But I won't get into that on here! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs