Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

When I watched over my roommate's dogs, they were the ones that wanted to hug me.

I'd come to the house after work to feed and play with them, and the moment I stepped foot inside the house the dogs were jumping up and down and trying to 'hug' me. When I went to sleep, they insisted on sleeping with me on the bed and loved it when I hugged and held them.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/p...175700616.html

Quote:
This all started with a weekly column in Psychology Today, called "Canine Corner," by Dr. Stanley Coren. It wasn't based on a study or a new set of evidence — it was, as Coren described it to The Washington Post, "a set of casual observations." Coren has a long history in dog science and psychology: He has written books on the subject, and he continues to write a weekly column for Psychology Today that is focused on dogs.....

"The reason we say they don't like being hugged is because of what they look like when you're hugging them," Horowitz told me. "They pin their ears back, they lick their lips (sort of air licking). Or they yawn, which is another stress behavior. Or they move to get away. Or they show this kind of whale-eye posture — you can see the whites of their eyes. They show behavior that's like, 'This is uncomfortable.'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Screw that. My dogs enjoy hugs. They are big snugglers, and the younger one will sometimes prefer snuggles to food when we're doing training exercises.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
If this moronic psychologist knows so much, perhaps he can explain why my dog comes to me and wraps her arms around my neck, using her hind legs to propel herself onto my lap.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:32 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
I had a scottie schnauzer mix who had a HUGE ego.
Could never hug that rascal for more than 1 minute. But his favorite place to sleep was behind my back in bed..he had to have contact!!
Now our HUGE doberman would let us lay on him for hours!!! He was a gentle giant.
The female doberman had a velcro personality. She hugged us with her 2 front legs..she'd love to rest on the carpet face to face with us with both paws on us. She thought it was perfectly fine to jump on the couch and snuggle next to you.

Our Gsd now isn't a hugger...but she loves being stroked!!!
German Shepherds make a mooing sound when they are content and happy on their backs.
We call her our little big cow. Her mooing and groaning crack us up.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Some dogs like being hugged and/or cuddled, and some don't. The perceptive dog owner can usually tell the difference. My current dog loves to cuddle and accepts hugs; also, he likes resting on soft, comfortable surfaces, such as pillows, upholstered chairs and sofas, and my bed.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:13 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,418 times
I have had five dogs since I was 15 years old.
The first liked to lay with her back against me.
The second liked to do that too, but only for a short time.
If dogs could be autistic, the third dog was. It was only when he got older that he let me even sit and pet him.
The fourth was like the second.
Now my current dog is awesome. He likes cuddles and kisses, and will gaze into my eyes and sigh. He sleeps with me, and always has to be in contact with me. Such a love bug.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:43 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Default News, You probably shouldn't hug your dogs, regardless of how adorable they are.

Dogs are adorable and friendly. Your dog is probably a member of your family — not just your pet.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/probab...175700616.html

Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Well I have a yorkie/poo who THRIVES on hugs. She's the MOST affectionate dog we've ever owned. If you put her on your lap and hugged her all day, she'd sit there happy as can be ALL day.

Sure, don't hug a dog that isn't obviously enjoying it. Some just don't like the feeling of being constricted, but to say don't hug any dog is just stupid IMO.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:40 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I have read similar things over the years. I think it depends on your relationship with your dog, as well as the breed.

My bulldog has gotten less kissy and huggy as she has aged but she tolerates it from my adult sons. The other thing she doesn't like is if you get your face close to hers, she turns her head.....I know she has more boundaries than my previous dog.

My previous dog, my boxer that lived for 16+ years loved it, he would hug you back, and he would be right in your face kissing you. He was the best dog ever. Miss him all the time.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Duplicate thread:

You probably shouldn't hug your dogs, regardless of how adorable they are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs