Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

My Niki girl just turned 14. She is old and has many old lady issues. I watch her closely and know at some point I will have to make one of the hardest decisions for her. I just don't know when that is. I guess I am looking for some guidelines.

The good....she can still see and hear pretty good. She barks when I come into the house and will howl when I dance around. I think she enjoys that. She still likes to be with us when we work. Actually she just wants to be close to me so I drag her towel around wherever I am whether I am painting, gardening or cooking. She still eats, actually her appetite has increased. She doesn't cry or whine.

Here are her problems. She has a herniated disc for the past 4 years. Her back legs don't work so well anymore. She falls a lot and has trouble getting up. I help her up to get her steady. Once she is up she can wobble around. She has more accidents in the house...thankfully it is just pooping as the vet told me she can't really feel much in her back end. Luckily I or my DH is around most of the time so she is never stuck for long. Sadly if we are not around she could end up laying in her poo...and she is miserable. She stays in her bed most of the time and sleeps a lot. She cannot stand it if I am out of her sight. She barks a lot if I leave the room. She cannot make it through the night. I get up with her 1-2 times every night to let her out....although I am the same way, lol.

She just doesn't seem to be happy anymore which makes me really sad. For two years I thought it was close for her and I even told the nieces in NY to say good bye...just in case. So far Niki is hanging in there. She is just not happy anymore and her problems will not get better. When the weather breaks I will take her for some more car rides as she likes that....or she just likes the bone I give her in the car, lol.

Sorry for the long story. I guess I just know her time is close and I really don't want to "have" to do anything...but her quality of life kind of stinks. I'm just sad and kind of confused about what to do. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-06-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 AM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Hi Lisa, sending you a PM

Old 04-06-2017, 03:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
My Niki girl just turned 14. She is old and has many old lady issues. I watch her closely and know at some point I will have to make one of the hardest decisions for her. I just don't know when that is. I guess I am looking for some guidelines.

The good....she can still see and hear pretty good. She barks when I come into the house and will howl when I dance around. I think she enjoys that. She still likes to be with us when we work. Actually she just wants to be close to me so I drag her towel around wherever I am whether I am painting, gardening or cooking. She still eats, actually her appetite has increased. She doesn't cry or whine.

Here are her problems. She has a herniated disc for the past 4 years. Her back legs don't work so well anymore. She falls a lot and has trouble getting up. I help her up to get her steady. Once she is up she can wobble around. She has more accidents in the house...thankfully it is just pooping as the vet told me she can't really feel much in her back end. Luckily I or my DH is around most of the time so she is never stuck for long. Sadly if we are not around she could end up laying in her poo...and she is miserable. She stays in her bed most of the time and sleeps a lot. She cannot stand it if I am out of her sight. She barks a lot if I leave the room. She cannot make it through the night. I get up with her 1-2 times every night to let her out....although I am the same way, lol.

She just doesn't seem to be happy anymore which makes me really sad. For two years I thought it was close for her and I even told the nieces in NY to say good bye...just in case. So far Niki is hanging in there. She is just not happy anymore and her problems will not get better. When the weather breaks I will take her for some more car rides as she likes that....or she just likes the bone I give her in the car, lol.

Sorry for the long story. I guess I just know her time is close and I really don't want to "have" to do anything...but her quality of life kind of stinks. I'm just sad and kind of confused about what to do. Thanks for listening.
Eating
Sleeping
Interacting

Those are the big three.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hi Lisa, sending you a PM
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Eating
Sleeping
Interacting

Those are the big three.
Eating and sleeping are good, not through the night but still pretty good. As for interacting...that's the tough one. Since she isn't as mobile anymore, she can't walk well, cannot do any steps and she cannot sit at all, she stays in her bed a lot. There is no more "playing" which is very sad and she is kind of cranky. That's what is making it hard for me.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thank you.

Eating and sleeping are good, not through the night but still pretty good. As for interacting...that's the tough one. Since she isn't as mobile anymore, she can't walk well, cannot do any steps and she cannot sit at all, she stays in her bed a lot. There is no more "playing" which is very sad and she is kind of cranky. That's what is making it hard for me.
With a geriatric pet interaction is not "go fetch" or really anything active. Try a gentle massage.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:14 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
So sorry, Lisa. Is Nikki on any pain medication? Even a small dog can have arthritis and/or aches/pains. All my older dogs have always been on Rimadyl or Tramadol. Some dogs can be so stoic that you dont realize they're in pain/discomfort except for the change in their personalities.

My heart-dog dog, who had a herniated disk, was on both Rimadyl and Tramadol and also Prednisone for occasional flareups.

I understand about the pooping. I always felt blessed to have a dog get old enough that he/she would poop while sleeping. Yes, it could be a mess to clean up but I just changed the dog's food so the poops were at least solid.

My heart-dog lived to be 14.5 years old -- very old for a larger breed dog. She fell often and needed help getting up and people who saw her may have thought it would be a kindness to have her put down. But she had many more moments of joy than not, especially once she was started on Rimadyl and Tramadol. And, when she finally left me, it was on her own terms. But, had she not still had joy in living, I'd have done the right thing and helped her leave.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:00 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,019 times
You should just evaluate the overall quality of her life, and decide if the positives outweigh the negatives for Niki. If not, I'm afraid that it may be time to let her go. I'm sorry that you have such a difficult choice to make. (((hugs)))

Old 04-07-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
With a geriatric pet interaction is not "go fetch" or really anything active. Try a gentle massage.
Ha, ha....if I massage her anywhere near her back end or back legs she will either poo or pee on me. Clipping her nails makes her poo I do give her good rubs anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
So sorry, Lisa. Is Nikki on any pain medication? Even a small dog can have arthritis and/or aches/pains. All my older dogs have always been on Rimadyl or Tramadol. Some dogs can be so stoic that you dont realize they're in pain/discomfort except for the change in their personalities.

My heart-dog dog, who had a herniated disk, was on both Rimadyl and Tramadol and also Prednisone for occasional flareups.

I understand about the pooping. I always felt blessed to have a dog get old enough that he/she would poop while sleeping. Yes, it could be a mess to clean up but I just changed the dog's food so the poops were at least solid.

My heart-dog lived to be 14.5 years old -- very old for a larger breed dog. She fell often and needed help getting up and people who saw her may have thought it would be a kindness to have her put down. But she had many more moments of joy than not, especially once she was started on Rimadyl and Tramadol. And, when she finally left me, it was on her own terms. But, had she not still had joy in living, I'd have done the right thing and helped her leave.
Did your heart dog show signs of being in pain before the medication? My vet did a very thorough check up and determined that she wasn't in pain....just old. He didn't feel she needed any medicine. I do give her Glucosamine for her joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
You should just evaluate the overall quality of her life, and decide if the positives outweigh the negatives for Niki. If not, I'm afraid that it may be time to let her go. I'm sorry that you have such a difficult choice to make. (((hugs)))
Thank you.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
I went through this not long ago, mine was 16 getting ready to turn 17. We held on a long time, probably for about two or three years where he had touch and go spells. He was on a every pill that could help him, his vet bills averaged about $500/month those last couple of years. It was finally when he went through two days where he cried if I left the room, something he had never done, that we decided it was time. He spent the morning outside laying in the front yard watching the neighborhood go about its day, my daughter took off work so she could come down to join him outside for a while, we fed him filet mignon cooked in bacon grease, and then took him to the vet. It was horribly sad for us but it was the right thing for him.

Your fur baby appears to either be at that point or very near it. It sounds like you've given her a very nice life, sadly it might be time to do that last loving act for her. I feel for you, it's a hard place to be.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 AM

30,501 posts, read 16,206,257 times
The eyes. Her eyes will tell you. She will look hurt, confused, maybe a bit dazed. She will look to you for help. Then you will take on your pain to alleviate hers.

It's called love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs