Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

Just one note about size: personality is more important, if one has room, I think.

I'm frequently tasked with finding small dogs for seniors. In that case, the seniors often have limited strength and can't muscle around a large dog. However, since some breeds are small, a lot of them weren't properly trained because some owners didn't take their needs seriously (If he misbehaves, I'll just pick him up until he stops barking!) I can't tell you how many times I've been in the shelter and come across small dogs that were nippy and larger dogs that were much more stable.

Small dogs need the same obedience training as big dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I just don't think they are the right family for the breed
I'll go a step further: there are a lot of families that shouldn't have a dog, period. They are too busy to provide the ongoing care and training that a healthy, successful dog needs.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
An adult dog for sure. You know the size (it's sometimes hard to determine how big a mixed breed puppy would get) and have a good idea of the temperament (active, easy going, protective etc).

Smaller isn't always better some smaller dogs can be more challenging to own than larger dogs.

Labs do have a ton of energy when they're young and can be prone to weigh gain. I think a golden is a good choice if someone wants a pure bred dog.
However a mixed breed dog can be a perfect choice as well.

IMO a novice owner's best bet is to go to a reputable rescue that uses foster homes. The dogs are usually housebroken and the foster parent will have a good idea if the dog is right for you.

I wonder what the people who got the giant schnauzer were thinking and if they did any research? It's a challenging breed. They've been used for police work in Europe. I've seen a couple do very nice protection work but absolutely not a breed for the novice owner. Unfortunately, it's usually the dog that ends up suffering.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:13 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
I don't think small dogs are more nippy, other than maybe Chihs

In any case, I think when you are learning about a dog and training it, smaller can be easier simply because it requires less strength to handle.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
An adult dog for sure. You know the size (it's sometimes hard to determine how big a mixed breed puppy would get) and have a good idea of the temperament (active, easy going, protective etc).

Smaller isn't always better some smaller dogs can be more challenging to own than larger dogs.

Labs do have a ton of energy when they're young and can be prone to weigh gain. I think a golden is a good choice if someone wants a pure bred dog.
However a mixed breed dog can be a perfect choice as well.

IMO a novice owner's best bet is to go to a reputable rescue that uses foster homes. The dogs are usually housebroken and the foster parent will have a good idea if the dog is right for you.

I wonder what the people who got the giant schnauzer were thinking and if they did any research? It's a challenging breed. They've been used for police work in Europe. I've seen a couple do very nice protection work but absolutely not a breed for the novice owner. Unfortunately, it's usually the dog that ends up suffering.
They knew someone who had one as kid and loved it. Okey dokey. Great reason right? Yes, this is a dog that needs a job and they don't have one for him unfortunately

It makes me sad because 10 minutes of research on the internet would have probably revealed it wasn't the breed for them

Old 05-26-2017, 01:31 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
They knew someone who had one as kid and loved it. Okey dokey. Great reason right? Yes, this is a dog that needs a job and they don't have one for him unfortunately

It makes me sad because 10 minutes of research on the internet would have probably revealed it wasn't the breed for them
Ugh. Yes 10 minutes would have probably been enough.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:42 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
What breed of dog do you think is best for someone who has never had a dog?...........
I know a family who never has a dog before, not as children nor as adults, who went and bought a Giant Schnauzer .........
Giant Schnauzer is a lovely breed and an excellent choice for a first dog for someone who has an active household and wishes to do activities with their dog. The giant is calmer than the smaller versions and will protect the family and love the kids.

As long as the family is willing to do the training and can afford the grooming, the Giant schnauzer is not that bad a choice.

There is no "best" breed for a first time owner. Each first time owner needs to study sufficiently to learn what the breed is about and how it will fit into their lifestyle.

The only breeds that I wouldn't recommend for a first time owner are the more protective guarding breeds. Even those would work if the owner is willing to put in the training and can follow advice about how to be the controlling member of the family.

Giant Schnauzer doesn't need as much exercise as that lovable Labrador puppy, who won't tire out until after the 9th hour of running and is ready to go again after a ten minute nap.

Mostly with first time owners, I would worry more about protecting the dog from them. My Bracco Italiano, who is a wonderful house dog, would suffer greatly from an ignorant owner. She is extremely sensitive and corrections have to be just right and given with perfect timing, or she is devastated.

Too many first time dog owners allow their children to maul and torture the dog, thinking it is just adorable. It takes a tough dog, both physically and mentally to survive badly behaved children.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Giant Schnauzer is a lovely breed and an excellent choice for a first dog for someone who has an active household and wishes to do activities with their dog. The giant is calmer than the smaller versions and will protect the family and love the kids.

As long as the family is willing to do the training and can afford the grooming, the Giant schnauzer is not that bad a choice.

There is no "best" breed for a first time owner. Each first time owner needs to study sufficiently to learn what the breed is about and how it will fit into their lifestyle.

The only breeds that I wouldn't recommend for a first time owner are the more protective guarding breeds. Even those would work if the owner is willing to put in the training and can follow advice about how to be the controlling member of the family.

Giant Schnauzer doesn't need as much exercise as that lovable Labrador puppy, who won't tire out until after the 9th hour of running and is ready to go again after a ten minute nap.

Mostly with first time owners, I would worry more about protecting the dog from them. My Bracco Italiano, who is a wonderful house dog, would suffer greatly from an ignorant owner. She is extremely sensitive and corrections have to be just right and given with perfect timing, or she is devastated.

Too many first time dog owners allow their children to maul and torture the dog, thinking it is just adorable. It takes a tough dog, both physically and mentally to survive badly behaved children.
Really? Huh. I didn't read that anywhere. Everything I have read said the Giant Schnauzer is not a good choice for a first timer. But I see your point about "active household"

This guy is super protective actually which is becoming a main part of their problem

I agree with you about protecting the dog from the family and children. Even when you see how people greet dogs, it's amazing there aren't more incidents. We will have kids come here and think they can hug our dog like a stuffed animal

Old 05-27-2017, 01:48 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
I think it really depends on the first time dog owner.

Are they wanting a sweet tempered dog (Spaniels, many hounds), and obedient easy to train dog (Labs, Golden's, Fox terriers), a goof ball (Dachshund's, Frenchy's), a walking companion (almost any dog above 20 pounds - mutts from the pound are a great choice here), an easy to travel with dog (mini breeds below 20 pounds - Chihuahua's, Yorkies, mini poodles), looking for starting a shared hobby like agility or Rally (Collies, certain terriers). Each of the breeds has places they are a great fit, and places they "just won't work out" a city apartment in NYC is no place for a border collie and a yorkie isn't going to herd your sheep no matter how obedient and well trained they are.

A lot of dogs deemed "not good for first time owners" may well be the best fit if the owner knows what they are looking for in a dog, and Labs and Golden's may be a terrible fit, even though they are two of the most popular breeds and deemed excellent first time owner dogs.

The real key to new dog owner success is having a new dog owner that knows what s/he wants from the dog, selects an appropriate breed or type, and has realistic expectations about what the dog will require for training, exercise, and socialization.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:46 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
My advice is to contact a foster group. They know the dogs in their care, and are very eager to match owners to the right dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs