Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:14 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Ok, thanks, I guess I was spoiled by my first Shih Tzu. She was so docile, although had the zoomies now and then when she was also a pup, for the most part she wasn't as crazy as our new little guy when she was that age. Don't know our second one being male has anything to do with. Time to get a leash.
The boy Tzus are more energetic than the girls when they are young
The good news is they are more affectionate as they age
The girls can become aloof

How do you not have a leash? Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I have a pup that's entering his "teen" stage (6 months?), and he's been really hyper with activity lately despite me playing with him.
Check the ingredients and make sure there is no corn. That's what increases activity in most dogs.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 AM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Getting him fixed will help calm him a little bit. But yeah just a stage that they have to grow out of and be exercised through or pay for it in destroyed furniture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Look into a puppy kindergarten class, and a puppy play group as well. Play group (meet up of dogs of similar size, age, activity level) or an occasional doggy day care would wipe him out, in a good way! The people involved should be able to recommend a good training class (not big box store class) Puppys first obedience class as well.

If he is that "active" he could use a class or 3 you could probably use the class too, since your last dog was so different. You may really enjoy learning with him, as he sounds like a lot of fun, and he may need some challenge. Btw, dog people call that active, not hyper people breed dogs for active.

A lot of pet dogs are often bred to be couch potatoes because so many people prefer a dog that just lays around. I find an active small dog so enjoyable, and easy to exercise with fetch, tug, and tricks, and Nosework.

Lucky you! You get to try out a different type of dog this time around. It brings so much to a relationship when you are both learning to communicate together. Enjoy it, and do try to get involved with training and with others as soon as possible. In the "olden days" 6 months is when you start training, but now training and socializing starts asap. So, the sooner the better.

Often people will tell you that no carb, raw feeding will make dogs less hyper. Ha! My dogs have been raw fed for 15 years, and they all need at least 3 miles a day walking, and/or Nosework, fetch, trick training, or tumbling for hours with each other. They range in size from 90 pounds to 8 pounds.
Btw, grainfree does not equal carb free, so should not make any difference.

Disagree that neutering calms a 6 month old puppy. That is a fallacy, and it doesn't stop bad habits, or create weight gain either.
Training, plus exercise, and not overfeeding take care of those issues.

I am not against neuter, but will never again neuter before the age of 2. I won't derail by adding anything further, there have been many threads in regards to this. I am also sure OP already has a vet that will make recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
The boy Tzus are more energetic than the girls when they are young
The good news is they are more affectionate as they age
The girls can become aloof

How do you not have a leash? Just curious
Thanks for everyone's input. I don't have a leash yet because he's been primarily in the house since we got him, I give him lots of room to play and run throughout but yes, I think he's starting to outgrow some of the space, though I'm guessing he's just slightly over 4 lbs. At 4 months, he was 3.8 lbs, lol.

I do may have to socialize him as I don't want him getting "too" attached to us (meaning minimizing separation anxiety), again our first one was so docile from 8 weeks, she was just laying in her crib while all the other pups were running around her.

I think we got our first shih tzu spayed at 9 months, I felt for her so much so afterwards, but she was fine after a few weeks.

Our vet said we can consider neutering him at 7 months. I'm a little worried he may be still too small at the (slow) rate he's growing. At seven months if he's only about 7 lbs, I wonder if that's still too little for that type of surgery.

Edit: Oh and sorry for the use of the word "hyper", that probably gives a negative connotation, "active" is more like it.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input. I don't have a leash yet because he's been primarily in the house since we got him, I give him lots of room to play and run throughout but yes, I think he's starting to outgrow some of the space, though I'm guessing he's just slightly over 4 lbs. At 4 months, he was 3.8 lbs, lol.

I do may have to socialize him as I don't want him getting "too" attached to us (meaning minimizing separation anxiety)
I think the general rule is to have the dog meet 100 different people (adults and children) by the time they are 12 weeks old to help with socializing. I don't know how accurate that advice is, but its always better to have a well socialized dog then a fearful one.

And not saying your dog is fearful, I'm sure he is a happy ball of energy.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM

Even though he is small, take him outside. He might also be bored with being stuck in the house all day, which can cause him to be hyper. Dogs need a variety of activities, mind and body, just like humans. Even the small dogs

Old 06-07-2017, 05:47 PM

730 posts, read 769,670 times
Ah the teenage dog years. Unlimited energy. I'm afraid it isn't the food. I like to change up the exercise. Walking, hiking are good along with "treasure hunts" with kibble if you can teach your dog to sit/stay or down/stay. Those dog puzzles are great for a mental workout too, buster cubes, buster balls, frozen filled stuffed kongs. Taking him or her out to new places. It all reduces the energy. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Ah the teenage dog years. Unlimited energy. I'm afraid it isn't the food. I like to change up the exercise. Walking, hiking are good along with "treasure hunts" with kibble if you can teach your dog to sit/stay or down/stay. Those dog puzzles are great for a mental workout too, buster cubes, buster balls, frozen filled stuffed kongs. Taking him or her out to new places. It all reduces the energy. Good luck!
When do the teenage years end? Or is it breed specific?

I have a 11 month old male Shih Tzu and he is bonkers lately

Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM

965 posts, read 939,222 times
Quote:
When do the teenage years end? Or is it breed specific?

I have a 11 month old male Shih Tzu and he is bonkers lately
Fifteen years old +\-? it depends on the dog of course, but that extra energy, and teenager bit sometimes lasts forever. I think for most it is somewhere between 18 months, and 3 years of age.

Mine little pup (1/3 shih tzu) is 10 months now, and go-go-go....! He keeps up with the big dogs, in fact I think he wears them out on occasion

P.s. What is up with no photos of the ship tzu pups from the people here? Hint hint

Old 06-08-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Fifteen years old +\-? it depends on the dog of course, but that extra energy, and teenager bit sometimes lasts forever. I think for most it is somewhere between 18 months, and 3 years of age.

Mine little pup (1/3 shih tzu) is 10 months now, and go-go-go....! He keeps up with the big dogs, in fact I think he wears them out on occasion

P.s. What is up with no photos of the ship tzu pups from the people here? Hint hint
Oh no don't tell me that! LOL

This guy is getting more energy as the months go on! I attached two pics hopefully it worked

Last edited by bookspage; 06-09-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 09:15 PM

965 posts, read 939,222 times
Quote:
Oh no don't tell me that! LOL

This guy is getting more energy as the months go on! I attached two pics hopefully it worked
Oh my DOG.... THAT LITTLE FACE IS TO DIE FOR! It's a good thing he is cute, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs