Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Here we have breed restrictions and size. 'My' dog is too big. Next week, if the bad people win the election, they will start enforcing the size limits. Particularly against people like myself who are not voting for them. Which is odd, as one of them praises me all the time for rescuing this one, but whatever. I guess she personally is not one that threatens people to vote for them or lose their dog. But someone in her stupid posse does.

I know about SERVICE dogs, and in our rules even they state that service dogs may be any size or breed. IDK much about ESAs. I hope it doesn't come to this, but this dog has nowhere else to go. She is a sweet dog, she bothers no one, and is not on the restricted breed list.

We have lots of dogs over the limit and the current admin doesn't care if they don't bother anyone. I will never forget prior admin taking dogs away. It was horrible. Anyway, this dog has to have a waiver of some sort if it comes to that and I want to start preparing if it's needed.

She isn't really a permanent resident, was going to be my first argument. I take care of her when my brother can't it just so happens that's been quite a while now but the moment he can let her in and out again she will be gone until the next time.

But perhaps ESA is the way to go if that is a slam-dunk, no more discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Emotional support animals differ from traditional service dogs in that service dogs are trained to perform a task or to detect a condition. Emotional support animals, on the other hand, aren't required to have that degree of training. But in order for your animal to qualify for certification, the owner has to have a letter from a doctor that states that he is psychiatrically disabled or suffers from certain psychological conditions/disabilities, such as PTSD, severe depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, suicidal ideation, etc.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
I think you and your brother should work together to find a new home for the dog. It will be mentioned eventually that you knew about the size restrictions when you brought the dog into your building. Unless the dog already has credentials as a service dog, I think they could force you to get the dog out of the building.

Another alternative is to start looking for another place to live; one that accepts dogs of her size.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I think you and your brother should work together to find a new home for the dog. It will be mentioned eventually that you knew about the size restrictions when you brought the dog into your building. Unless the dog already has credentials as a service dog, I think they could force you to get the dog out of the building.

Another alternative is to start looking for another place to live; one that accepts dogs of her size.

Good luck.
If she qualifies as an ESA and that works against HOA policy it won't matter that I brought her here before, that much I know.

I just don't know how strong the laws are for ESA. They do get around no pet policies ......

Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 PM

I am not moving and we don't want to give away the dog. (and surely it's known how hard it is to find a good home if we did want to). I am only seeking information about ESAs, thank you.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
" Do emotional support dogs trump HOA"

I hope not.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
" Do emotional support dogs trump HOA"

I hope not.
I bet they do. For apartments, they trump no pet policies. They are allowed on PLANES which is wrong, imo. Only service dogs should get to do that. Especially after that attack by one on a plane.

The size rule is stupid anyway. I went round and round with other committee members about that. My neighbor friend's dog is 45 pounds. Maybe she should starve her so she gets under 40.

She's perfectly behaved and always on the correct length of leash. Some of these people with their little yappies have them on those long retractable ones. Some of them used to jump on my other's dog face. And my dog was like 'idiot' but no response. Which is the better dog?

Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I bet they do. For apartments, they trump no pet policies. They are allowed on PLANES which is wrong, imo. Only service dogs should get to do that. Especially after that attack by one on a plane.

The size rule is stupid anyway. I went round and round with other committee members about that. My neighbor friend's dog is 45 pounds. Maybe she should starve her so she gets under 40.

She's perfectly behaved and always on the correct length of leash. Some of these people with their little yappies have them on those long retractable ones. Some of them used to jump on my other's dog face. And my dog was like 'idiot' but no response. Which is the better dog?
It's really not a matter of your dog being better than "their little yappies". It's a matter of the rules and how/when they will be enforced. Ideally, the size rule would not exist; but it does in your case and could soon be enforced. If your dog is not already an emotional support dog or a service dog, you could get into worse trouble by presenting her as one (and it's not a good idea to engage in fraud). That's why I think you should at least have a backup plan of finding either a new home for the dog or a new place to live with the dog.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
It's really not a matter of your dog being better than "their little yappies". It's a matter of the rules and how/when they will be enforced. Ideally, the size rule would not exist; but it does in your case and could soon be enforced. If your dog is not already an emotional support dog or a service dog, you could get into worse trouble by presenting her as one (and it's not a good idea to engage in fraud). That's why I think you should at least have a backup plan of finding either a new home for the dog or a new place to live with the dog.
I am aware of that. I am just saying how a lot of people here feel. We did some polling and such when we re-wrote the dog rules a few years ago. Most people care more about behavior and whether the person picks up poop, keeps dogs from running up on them due to being off leash or on too long a leash, noisy, etc.

Most people here where we live prefer a larger dog that is well behaved with a responsible owner than a small dog who behaves badly or the owner is irresponsible. That is why I feel the rules were written too strictly on size. 40 pounds is really quite small. I consider my neighbor's dog small and she is 45 pounds.

I don't want to see anyone's dog go, it isn't just mine. But I can only do anything about mine. I did my best to have the rules be written differently already.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM

143 posts, read 144,557 times
This topic makes me angry. Emotional Support Animals are allowed in housing to help people with disabling mental illness. They are part of an on going treatment plan. They give suicidal people a reason to keep living and people with severe depression a reason to get out of bed. Federal rules set by HUD cover ESAs and if the President or Ben Carson feel the like it the rules can change. With the number of fakes trying to get around pet rules that is a real possibility.

It does matter that you brought the dog in without permission. You needed to request a reasonable accommodation (waiving the weight limit) before you brought the dog in. You and the HOA would have to come to an agreement on what is reasonable. In order to get weight limits waved you would have to prove a smaller dog would not provide the same benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs