Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:36 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

What are the thoughts on giving dogs people food? My puppy has been raised within the parameters of our elder dog, and he has a VERY sensitive stomach so all he gets is a dog biscuit once a day.

The puppy (10 mos) doesn't seem to have a sensitive stomach so I don't mind giving him a treat as long as he doesn't beg. He likes fruit (grapes, nectarines, etc.). I do it about once a week so it is not a lot, and I do not want to encourage begging.

Thoughts?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 06:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
When I had my Leonardo, I pretty much gave him people food, period. Not spiced, and not foods bad for dogs. Example, when we broiled a chicken thigh, Leo got one too. (de-boned of course)
Leo loved carrots, (and chasing peas with his giant nose) chicken, London Broil, home-ground hamburger, etc.
As for biscuits, after the China scares, we just looked up recipes online and made our own dog biscuits. Humans could eat them, the recipes are so clean.

I say, go for it!

Old 09-01-2017, 07:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What are the thoughts on giving dogs people food? My puppy has been raised within the parameters of our elder dog, and he has a VERY sensitive stomach so all he gets is a dog biscuit once a day.

The puppy (10 mos) doesn't seem to have a sensitive stomach so I don't mind giving him a treat as long as he doesn't beg. He likes fruit (grapes, nectarines, etc.). I do it about once a week so it is not a lot, and I do not want to encourage begging.

Thoughts?
Dogs shouldn't have grapes or raisins.

Whole food = unprocessed "people food" like bits of chicken, carrots, eggs, sardines (water not oil), liver (chicken or beef), beef will be healthier for your dogs than a processed biscuit.

BTW, there is no such thing as "people food" and "dog food". There isn't a special animal that comprises "dog food"; it is all the same = food.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Dogs shouldn't have grapes or raisins.

Whole food = unprocessed "people food" like bits of chicken, carrots, eggs, sardines (water not oil), liver (chicken or beef), beef will be healthier for your dogs than a processed biscuit.

BTW, there is no such thing as "people food" and "dog food". There isn't a special animal that comprises "dog food"; it is all the same = food.

I thought it helped get the point of my question across.

Thank you for the heads up on the grapes.

Pretty ironic that the people food (grapes) isn't really dog food, despite the fact that is indeed, all food.

Last edited by Mikala43; 09-01-2017 at 08:09 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 08:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I've been switching my dog over to more natural foods instead of processed dry dog food. Call it people food, but if the ingredients you're looking for on your dry or wet dog food label is meat, veggies and fruit - then, why not feed them the same from your own shopping/fridge? My thinking is, I knew the chicken I got was fresh, I know how I cooked it, I made broth from the bones, I cooked the rice or potatoes or green beans, I washed and cut up the pears or plums or apples, etc.

The only think I did take considerable time looking up was the kinds of foods they shouldn't eat, and roughly the percentages of protein, starches and veggies they should get. I did learn that a dog can actually live fine on just a vegetarian diet, but it is trickier for them to get the something - amino acids? - from plants than meat.

So, I actually feed my dog less protein and more carbs in the form of beans and rice (which is what I'm eating), along with veggies and fruit and both animal and plant fats.

She's looking better than she was looking on the grain-free food I was giving her. I think it's actually a mistake to feed grain-free. The research I read said dogs do well on up to 50% carbs. So, the trend to go grain-free is probably more a reflection of what people are doing for their own diets, and not necessarily what's really best for our dogs.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 PM

With the grain free they tend to add more sweet potatoes, fruits and veggies. Personally that seems better than a huge percentage of rice/wheat or corn.

After he achieves full growth I would be more comfortable reducing kibble and adding food that we eat (nothing processed).

IIRC you are vegetarian or vegan? We are weekday vegetarians, and weekend carnivores.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:20 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
...Pretty ironic that the people food (grapes) isn't really dog food, despite the fact that is indeed, all food.

Some dogs develop acute renal failure after eating grapes. The reason isnt fully known yet and not all dogs who eat grapes will get sick and die -- but enough dogs have died after eating just a small amount that vets and vet schools have warned dog owners not to feed them to their dogs.

Many years ago I used to freeze grapes and feed them to my dogs as training treats. The dogs never had any bad reaction to them. But, once I learned about other dogs dying after eating grapes, I stopped giving them to my dogs.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:57 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Unprocessed, whole foods can be great treats for your dogs. Apple slices, cut pieces of carrot, plain cooked chicken breast, boiled egg white, spoonful of low sodium cottage cheese, etc.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:32 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Yikes! No grapes! He may like them, but they can be highly toxic for dogs. (I see that twelvepaw already mentioned this, but so consider my post just an "I second this!")

Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yikes! No grapes! He may like them, but they can be highly toxic for dogs. (I see that twelvepaw already mentioned this, but so consider my post just a voice of affirmation to hers.)
No worries. I definitely will not feed him a grape again (he has had two in his life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs