Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

I recently adopted a 2 year-old GSD who I love to bits and pieces. We are going through obedience training b/c he has issues. The main issues are that he jumps on people and he is aggressive with dogs who are unfriendly. Because of this, I have stopped taking him to the dog park until I can be sure that he won't get into any more fights with other dogs.

However, now we are having to deal with a pack of unfriendly dogs in our neighborhood. These dogs have a playgroup together and have made it clear that my dog is not welcome. When they see my dog, they will bark at him (my dog never barks at them) and, if they happen to meet, will have their hackles up and nip at my dog, causing a fight to break out. I know that I need to work with my dog to ensure that he is able to walk away from dog's like this. But the issue that I have is that the owners of these dogs (my neighbors) are blaming my dog (they've even taken to yelling at him), as if their dogs did nothing to provoke my dog. As a result, they have made it clear that they consider my dog to be a "bad" dog, and now I am actually frightened for my dog.

I'm just wondering how I should handle this. The situation is causing me to consider moving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 09:41 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
It is great that you are taking him to obedience. It will really strengthen the bond between you. Some dogs just have no interest in other dogs. And that is ok. It sounds like your dog is one of those dogs. Accept that and stop trying to have him interact with other dogs when you are on walks and many of us, even with dog friendly dogs avoid the dog park like the plague. Very little good happens at the dog park IME.

Your dog wants to spend time with you. The idea of needing dog friends, at least ones who don't live with you, is not necessarily the norm, particularly for many dogs from the herding or working breeds. If you think your dog really needs companionship after you two have completely bonded (can take anywhere from 6mo to 2 yrs IME) consider adding another dog to your pack rather than looking to hang out with pushy neighbors and heir pushy dogs.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It is great that you are taking him to obedience. It will really strengthen the bond between you. Some dogs just have no interest in other dogs. And that is ok. It sounds like your dog is one of those dogs. Accept that and stop trying to have him interact with other dogs when you are on walks and many of us, even with dog friendly dogs avoid the dog park like the plague. Very little good happens at the dog park IME.

Your dog wants to spend time with you. The idea of needing dog friends, at least ones who don't live with you, is not necessarily the norm, particularly for many dogs from the herding or working breeds. If you think your dog really needs companionship after you two have completely bonded (can take anywhere from 6mo to 2 yrs IME) consider adding another dog to your pack rather than looking to hang out with pushy neighbors and heir pushy dogs.
It isn't that he has no interest in other dogs; he is actually very interested in other dogs. He made many friends when I took him to the dog park. However, we had to stop going b/c of the dogs that would nip at him, etc.

Nor is the issue that I am seeking out dogs for him to interact with; we just happen to meet people when we are out walking (there are a lot of dog owners in our neighborhood), and it has been during these instances that my neighbors and their dogs have behaved aggressively towards my dog.

I think that I am just going to move; these neighbors have clearly formed a clique and have decided to bully me and my dog.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
However, now we are having to deal with a pack of unfriendly dogs in our neighborhood. These dogs have a playgroup together and have made it clear that my dog is not welcome. When they see my dog, they will bark at him (my dog never barks at them) and, if they happen to meet, will have their hackles up and nip at my dog, causing a fight to break out. I know that I need to work with my dog to ensure that he is able to walk away from dog's like this. But the issue that I have is that the owners of these dogs (my neighbors) are blaming my dog (they've even taken to yelling at him), as if their dogs did nothing to provoke my dog. As a result, they have made it clear that they consider my dog to be a "bad" dog, and now I am actually frightened for my dog.

I'm just wondering how I should handle this. The situation is causing me to consider moving
Are all dogs on leash including yours or are their dogs off-leash and your dog is on leash or ?

Either way, whether they are off-leash in a certain area or on-leash during walks, I would just avoid them. Change your walking route or walk a little earlier or later, or go to another park.

Wouldn't that work? I mean they can't be in a play group all day, right? Or is there more to this situation? Is your dog off-leash? And if the dogs in the play group are off-leash loose in the neighborhood, I would speak to your neighbor. Point out to him that if he keeps his dogs under control and away from your dog, then there isn't a problem with your dog being "unfriendly".

I wouldn't keep putting your dog into that situation where they are provoking him while he is on-leash.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Are all dogs on leash including yours or are their dogs off-leash and your dog is on leash or ?

Either way, whether they are off-leash in a certain area or on-leash during walks, I would just avoid them. Change your walking route or walk a little earlier or later, or go to another park.

Wouldn't that work? I mean they can't be in a play group all day, right? Or is there more to this situation? Is your dog off-leash? And if the dogs in the play group are off-leash loose in the neighborhood, I would speak to your neighbor. Point out to him that if he keeps his dogs under control and away from your dog, then there isn't a problem with your dog being "unfriendly".

I wouldn't keep putting your dog into that situation where they are provoking him while he is on-leash.
It is a bit more complicated than that. The dogs in the play group are picked up by the walker together and go to the dog park together. And their owners are all friends.

I first noticed the hostility with their dog walker. She and I have met once (while I was walking my dog) and it was a very friendly encounter. However, the second time I saw her, she very purposely snubbed me and my dog. She has since made a point of reprimanding the dogs in this group whenever they see my dog.

Then, the other day, I was walking my dog, on-leash. One of the dog owners in this clique was walking her dog, off-leash. On a couple of occasions, my dog and her dog have played together, without incident. In fact, she even suggested a play date at one point (although she never followed up).

When I saw her, I said, "Is that so and so," in a very friendly manner. She said yes, so I let my dog off-leash to say hello. My dog approached very friendly but then tried to jump up on the woman, at which point she yelled at him. He then tried to play with her dog (as they have in the past) and, instead of interpreting his behavior as play, she interpreted it as "aggressive" and said that she didn't want her dog "to think it was okay" to play with him. Her dog wasn't aggressive but she definitely wasn't friendly as she had been in the past. I said, "Okay," put my dog back on his leash and continued. Now, I walk in this area every day and the whole neighborhood knows it. So, I don't understand why she would walk her dog in this area (this was the first time I had ever seen her there).

Then, this morning, I was outside, in my yard, with my dog, off-leash. Normally, my dog just stays in the yard, no matter what. A neighbor who is in this clique ran by with her dog and her husband. Their dog was on-leash. This dog has a habit of barking profusely every time he sees my dog (which is when he is reprimanded by his dog walker); however, the two dogs had never met before this morning. Well, my dog saw this dog and took off towards him. I ran after him, they stopped and led my dog back over to the yard. As they did so, their dog nipped at my dog and a fight ensued, at which point the woman started yelling at my dog (just as the other woman had). I grabbed my dog, apologized, and brought him back inside.

I accept responsibility for my dog running towards the other dog. But it was their dog who had his hackles up and lunged at my dog. If these peoples' attitudes were different, I would also accept responsibility for the fight. But they have clearly been talking about my dog, together, and decided that he is an "aggressive" dog. Now, I admit that my dog has issues but the hostility that these people clearly have towards him is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy: they have labeled him as "aggressive," so they and their dogs are tense when they meet him and this causes a negative encounter. For example, I doubt their dog would have lunged at my dog if these people felt friendly towards my dog.

Yelling at my dog and behaving aggressively towards him is only going to cause their dogs to act in kind, which is what has begun to happen. And I know that this group of people is now going to get together in their clique and exchange stories about my "aggressive" dog, which is going to increase the hostility towards him. This is why I am now afraid for him: they are giving him a "reputation."

Normally, I would just stay away from them. But this is where I live, and I don't know where and when these people are going to be with their dogs at all times.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
How do you know they have labeled him aggressive? Why are you engaging with these people? Your obligation is to your dog and keeping him safe.

Keep your dog leashed or in a fenced in yard, and your neighbors won't have a reason or the opportunity to yell at him. If you are out walking and see them coming, cross the street. Work on his behavior around other dogs= counter-condition with treats or tug or squeaky toy when you see them coming, cross the street, body block them so you are between your dog and their dogs, and keep moving.

You don't have to engage these people or their dog walker- just go about your business, and focus on keeping your dog engaged and happy working with you when you see them so that he is focusing on you and not on them.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Your large dog, off leash, in an unfenced yard, ran out of your yard onto public property and at a neighbor who was doing the correct thing by having her dog leashed. Sorry but you are 100% in the wrong here. Additionally you allow your dog off leash and then he jumps on people. Also 100% not ok. These other owners may be acting clique but your behavior as an owner has not been acceptable either.

You do not yet have control of your dog, he should not be allowed off leash until you do. Not in your unfenced yard, not around other dogs. That is not a statement about whether or not your dog is aggressive but is true for all dogs.

I also think it is beyond bizarre to move because of a dog park clique but I suspect your new neighbors would also appreciate you keeping your dog on leash, in your yard and not jumping on people.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Your large dog, off leash, in an unfenced yard, ran out of your yard onto public property and at a neighbor who was doing the correct thing by having her dog leashed. Sorry but you are 100% in the wrong here. Additionally you allow your dog off leash and then he jumps on people. Also 100% not ok. These other owners may be acting clique but your behavior as an owner has not been acceptable either.

You do not yet have control of your dog, he should not be allowed off leash until you do. Not in your unfenced yard, not around other dogs. That is not a statement about whether or not your dog is aggressive but is true for all dogs.

I also think it is beyond bizarre to move because of a dog park clique but I suspect your new neighbors would also appreciate you keeping your dog on leash, in your yard and not jumping on people.
Yeah. Seeing a dog you know is not an invitation to let it off leash. I do that in one case, and one case only. My dog's bestie, and I am friends with the owner, and I know exactly what is going to happen everytime. I didn't do that in the beginning. Not for a long time. Actually I never take her leash OFF, I drop it so she can run a few feet to bow down to her beloved bestie, which makes them happy and the owners laugh. I catch up to her in 30 seconds or less and pick her leash back up because even while sitting with her friends and mine, we don't know who or what is going to walk by.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:28 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
You know that your dog has issues with jumping on people and acting aggressively towards dogs that are unfriendly. With this is mind you should always keep your dog on leash or in a fenced yard. Letting your dog off leash to play with another off leash dog is not ok. Your dog jumping on the woman who was walking by is not ok. It's also not ok that you gave your dog the opportunity to run out of your yard to chase after a leashed dog. The fight that occurred was due to your negligence.

Your neighbors are leery of you because they know the same thing that you admitted to knowing in your op and that is that your dog can be aggressive towards other dogs. You are not being a responsible dog owner by allowing him off leash. There's even a good chance that your neighbors are afraid to come around you when you are with your dog because of all of the above. Keep your dog on his leash. Steer clear of other dogs while out walking. Do not let your dog be free in your unsecured yard.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It is a bit more complicated than that. The dogs in the play group are picked up by the walker together and go to the dog park together. And their owners are all friends.

I first noticed the hostility with their dog walker. She and I have met once (while I was walking my dog) and it was a very friendly encounter. However, the second time I saw her, she very purposely snubbed me and my dog. She has since made a point of reprimanding the dogs in this group whenever they see my dog.

Then, the other day, I was walking my dog, on-leash. One of the dog owners in this clique was walking her dog, off-leash. On a couple of occasions, my dog and her dog have played together, without incident. In fact, she even suggested a play date at one point (although she never followed up).

When I saw her, I said, "Is that so and so," in a very friendly manner. She said yes, so I let my dog off-leash to say hello. My dog approached very friendly but then tried to jump up on the woman, at which point she yelled at him. He then tried to play with her dog (as they have in the past) and, instead of interpreting his behavior as play, she interpreted it as "aggressive" and said that she didn't want her dog "to think it was okay" to play with him. Her dog wasn't aggressive but she definitely wasn't friendly as she had been in the past. I said, "Okay," put my dog back on his leash and continued. Now, I walk in this area every day and the whole neighborhood knows it. So, I don't understand why she would walk her dog in this area (this was the first time I had ever seen her there).

Then, this morning, I was outside, in my yard, with my dog, off-leash. Normally, my dog just stays in the yard, no matter what. A neighbor who is in this clique ran by with her dog and her husband. Their dog was on-leash. This dog has a habit of barking profusely every time he sees my dog (which is when he is reprimanded by his dog walker); however, the two dogs had never met before this morning. Well, my dog saw this dog and took off towards him. I ran after him, they stopped and led my dog back over to the yard. As they did so, their dog nipped at my dog and a fight ensued, at which point the woman started yelling at my dog (just as the other woman had). I grabbed my dog, apologized, and brought him back inside.

I accept responsibility for my dog running towards the other dog. But it was their dog who had his hackles up and lunged at my dog. If these peoples' attitudes were different, I would also accept responsibility for the fight. But they have clearly been talking about my dog, together, and decided that he is an "aggressive" dog. Now, I admit that my dog has issues but the hostility that these people clearly have towards him is creating a self-fulfilling prophecy: they have labeled him as "aggressive," so they and their dogs are tense when they meet him and this causes a negative encounter. For example, I doubt their dog would have lunged at my dog if these people felt friendly towards my dog.

Yelling at my dog and behaving aggressively towards him is only going to cause their dogs to act in kind, which is what has begun to happen. And I know that this group of people is now going to get together in their clique and exchange stories about my "aggressive" dog, which is going to increase the hostility towards him. This is why I am now afraid for him: they are giving him a "reputation."

Normally, I would just stay away from them. But this is where I live, and I don't know where and when these people are going to be with their dogs at all times.
Read this again and this is rather simple. Train your dog. Ignore them for a while except a friendly wave. Concentrate only on your dog. The first order of business is not making friends, it's him being non-reactive to other dogs no matter what they do.

As for jumping on people, you will need to engage the help of friends to train him not to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs