Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times

Advertisements

This is just curiosity on my part. My dog is one I got from the shelter more than a year ago. They told me she was about one year old and that she'd been an outdoor dog. They also said she was most likely hit by a car (or some similar event) because she had a healed broken leg, but it effected her walk and run (she kind of hops like a rabbit). She also has a few missing teeth.

I was playing with her just now and looking at her teeth while doing so and I wondered what could have possibly happened to make her lose teeth? She doesn't seem to have dental problems like plaque. I can't imagine she had cavities. The car accident couldn't have caused it, could it?

If it helps, it's a few of the little teeth between the canines and the big crushing teeth in the back. She's a medium sized dog, 21 pounds.

I know a few of you do rescue and see a lot of dogs, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:14 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Are you sure that this dog ever had adult teeth in the missing space? Many dogs are born with one or two, or even more, missing adult teeth.

I know you probably cant tell if she ever had teeth in that space but a vet could probably make an educated guess.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
One of the dogs with me now is only 6 yrs old and came into rescue last year missing all but one of his teeth. I wish I knew why they are missing but I have no idea. This little guy was dumped in a park with another dog who had a broken pelvis, iirc, so he probably had poor if any vetting.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:47 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Just like humans, their first set of teeth, called deciduous teeth, need to fall out to make room for their larger, permanent teeth. Between 4 and 6 months old, your pup will have frequent loose teeth. You may even find some cast-off ones in his bedding or around the house. By the time he's about 7 or 8 months old, he should well on his way to sporting a new set of 42 adult teeth.
Problem could be genetic or periodontal disease or something else a vet should check out.

Click here for more information on why dogs lose teeth...
5 Common Dog Tooth Problems | Healthy Pets | Animal Planet

Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
Thanks! To answer some of the questions, I really don't know if she ever had teeth there. I didn't know they might not come in. It's just noted in her shelter record that she has missing teeth (and they are still missing so I don't think it was a case of losing puppy teeth. She is kind of old for that I'd think).

Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Thanks! To answer some of the questions, I really don't know if she ever had teeth there. I didn't know they might not come in...

I was a dog trainer for 25+ years and saw many adult dogs who had missing teeth because the adult teeth just never came in. I also showed my own dogs in obedience and knew many owners whose dogs were missing 1-2-3, even 4, adult teeth.

It's not an infrequent deal with dogs, especially if one of their ancestors had missing teeth. In the wild those dogs might not have been able to catch/eat prey so they'd have died out. But, in civilization, there's no need for those dogs, who are kept as pets, to have all their teeth anymore.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
My dog is missing two teeth on each side behind his incisors.

My trainer brought over a dog yesterday (for my own dog's desensitization exercises, because he's not good with other dogs) who was missing several front teeth. I asked if she was old and he said it was because her former owner frequently kept her in a crate and she broke off her teeth trying to get out of it. (As a side note, my dog did beautifully and ignored the other dog. Figures that he'd try to make a liar out of me!)

Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
They also said she was most likely hit by a car (or some similar event

THIS^^^

Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
...My trainer brought over a dog yesterday...who was missing several front teeth. I asked if she was old and he said it was because her former owner frequently kept her in a crate and she broke off her teeth trying to get out of it...

I adopt older dogs and my current dog has all her front teeth broken off at the gum line for the same reason. But, in those cases, you can see the tops of the broken teeth so it's not the same as missing teeth.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
The car accident could totally have done it. My kelpie broke off one of his front teeth (not a canine) chewing on something. Dogs lose teeth all the time.

Fun fact: tennis balls can cause grind down their teeth if they're obsessive chewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs