Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,716 times

Advertisements

We had two pugs for many years. Unfortunately one expectantly passed this summer after it was accidentally locked in the garage in the middle of the day when it gets well over 100 degrees in there.

It was very hard on my wife just having the one dog. We tried to adjust, but it just wasn't working, as the dog that lived reminded my wife of the dog that passed.

We made the decision to take the dog to a shelter in September because we thought he would be adopted to a better home, but I was informed by a family friend that the dog was unfortunately euthanized.

I have still not told my wife, as I don't want to burden here with that level of guilt. She's already been through enough with the first dog passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
jrt1979, never tell your wife. You made a bad decision, not because you were evil, but it was unfortunate. She does not need to share this burden of fact. (A dog rescue group would have been better but of course you did not know that.)

OP,
As for getting a new companion for the older dog, just realize that anything you do is a change for that dog. With the doggie partner gone, and if you do nothing, that is a change. If you get a second dog, that is a change. Which change is easiest on your remaining dog? If it is an active dog that runs and plays with a second dog, and if it would otherwise be alone a lot of the time, then getting a second dog might be a fine idea. But if the remaining dog is quiet and just likes to be around YOU it will be just as good for him to have you all to himself.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We have always gotten a puppy when our dogs get old. It revitalizes them. It also makes it easier for the kids when the old dog dies.

However now our kids are older, the second part is less of a concern. Personally, I would prefer to never have a puppy again. Not even sure I want another dog when our current ones expire. I love dogs, but I would like more freedom and a house with no bad smalls anywhere at least for a while. (Maybe just a day?) On the other hand, my wife wants to adopt nearly every dog she sees, so we will probably continue to have poop around for the rest of our lives.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:20 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
My kelpie had never been alone. He fell off a cliff when his big brother died - his anxiety spiked and he became super clingy. He wasn't doing great at his classes and sports. I got him a kitten, and they bonded - things improved marginally. Then I took in the foster puppy - now part of the family permanently. As soon as she walked in the door, he was back to BETTER than his original self. Blew the doors off the last two weeks of agility class and then got steadily faster at flyball at the last tournament to have some of his best times. He is just happier with another dog in the house, and I think the fact that this is a puppy makes him more confident as she defers to him. I'm also happier, so that could have something to do with it too.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
On the other hand, my wife wants to adopt nearly every dog she sees, so we will probably continue to have poop around for the rest of our lives.
After all our dogs were house trained, the only time we had poop was when they got really sick. What kind dog do you usually get---a specific breed or a Heinz57? Both can learn house training easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs