Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Glad you are feeling better. I would hate for anything to cause you and Legion to part ways.

Wow, $350 is steep. If you are partially disabled can that be used to get a discount? Maybe place an ad in Craigslist, with your situation, and your budget.... urm... maybe that is not the best idea, cause you don't want some jerk... just trying to brainstorm.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 02:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I think it is a good idea to get male dogs {and cats} neutered to prevent future health problems.

I had a German Shepard/Great Dane mix that had to be neutered when he was 10 years old because he was leaving drops of blood all over the floor.

The vet had to jack off the dog to get seminal fluid......my ex never let the vet forget it either. LOL

It was so long ago {he was my husband's dog when we married} that I can't remember the exact diagnosis, but neutering solved the problem.

And then there is my neighbor......her German Shepard got testicular cancer.

Lop those things off.....they don't need them and it can prevent health problems down the road.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:44 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

The vet had to jack off the dog to get seminal fluid......my ex never let the vet forget it either. LOL

Thank you for making my day.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2017, 03:01 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
Mad? MAD?!? hahaha Nah, It's rare for the blood to boil these days.
When I wrote the thread I was extremely frustrated, in quite a bit of pain ........ and a little 'mad'.
Others are entitled to their own opinion, I don't have to agree.

Not sure how I gave the impression that I'm 'too indulgent' (do you mean that you think that I overindulge Legion?) If that were the case, I'd hardly be considering having him butchered.
Although I treat my dogs like one of the family, I expect them to be obedient & know their place.
He's actually quite a good house dog & is reasonably well behaved 90-95% of the time. He's well aware of his size & although he occasionally races through the house in fits of excitement, he has never knocked over a single thing.
Although he loves to chew, rip-up & destroy things, he hasn't chewed on a single thing inside that he's not supposed to touch since he was 'little'. So it's not all bad.
He is a sweet natured boy, follows me like a shadow & is lying under me as we speak. Since my melt-down the other day he's been quite good.
If anything, he's overindulged with my presence. I'm wondering if half the problem stems from the fact that he's with me for at least 22 hours of the day.

It IS what it is. And yes I agree, I do think that help from another trainer would be a good idea.
The only trainers that I trust aren't cheap. Taking him to the council run training group just reinforced my belief that there's a heap of trainers out there that know little more than myself & some that do more harm than good (The council trainer was a control freak with no more than half a clue that he got from a book)
Before I bought Legion I'd saved up enough not just to buy him, a decent mobility scooter to give proper exercise, all the gear like comfy beds & accessories but also a $1000 for a weeks stay at the training center. Most of that went on building Legion a paved, covered enclosure.
From what I've heard from others, even $1k would be insufficient. Another highly recommended trainer charges $350 for the first session.
Sending him to 'training camp' would wipe out most of my remaining savings. Which is something that I'm starting to consider if Hieros suggested reading doesn't help.
Jeez, dog training is expensive where you are! I can get a private class with a top agility trainer for $75 in my area.

What might make more sense is if you could get him into an activity. Nosework seems like it would work with a mobility scooter and something you could do outside of class very easily. He is a young dog and still in that rambunctious phase. Get him thinking, and you may find he settles down. There are videos online that could get you started. My former roommate has a ton of physical disabilities, and she would burn off her dogs' excess energy in winter doing nosework hides. Also, just teaching him stupid little tricks might get him more focused on you. I've found that doing agility work with my dogs has made them focus on me much better, but that would be difficult with physical disabilities that have you in a mobility scooter. Nosework could do the trick though.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:24 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
My view is unless you got your dog specifically to breed him, then remove the testicles. It solves a lot of issues later in their lives. That was the recommendation of every Vet I have had my pets to.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:

Taking him to the council run training group just reinforced my belief that there's a heap of trainers out there that know little more than myself & some that do more harm than good (The council trainer was a control freak with no more than half a clue that he got from a book)

From what I've heard from others, even $1k would be insufficient. Another highly recommended trainer charges $350 for the first session.
Sending him to 'training camp' would wipe out most of my remaining savings. Which is something that I'm starting to consider if Hieros suggested reading doesn't help.
$350 for one session? WTH? What part of the country are you in?

Trainers in my area of the upper midwest aren't cheap, but CPDT-KA certified trainers charge on average $75/hour. You don't need a trainer who tries to sell expensive packages, just a good reward-based trainer to do a couple of private sessions with you.

The issues you describe clearly need to be worked on, but they don't need training camp. A knowledgeable CPDT certified trainer should be able to get you and Legion back on track in 3-4 private sessions.

I don't know where you are located, but I would look for a CPDT certified trainer in your area. The CPDT international certification guarantees that the trainer has a certain baseline of experience and has worked under a mentor to gain hands-on experience.

CPDT/Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers

http://www.ccpdt.org/dog-owners/cert...ner-directory/
Why you should look for a certified dog trainer - CCPDT

Last edited by twelvepaw; 12-20-2017 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
As other people can't get near him, I really doubt that another trainer could help

From what I can see it's his willful obstinate nature & over-excitedness that's the issue.

He's been displaying dominant behaviour since 9wo. 'Experts' laughed at this suggestion & assured me that I was misinterpreting as 9wo was 'far too young'. Nuh-uh, it's how he is.
You need to work with better trainers. Any trainer worth their salt knows how to get a dog's attention, calm them down, and teach you how to keep them engaged in working/training.

All that energy just needs to be focused. Nothing in what you have described indicates anything more than a young energetic dog who is eager and ready to learn. Any decent CPDT certified trainer should be able to set you up with exercises to teach focus, impulse control, and teach you how to work with him.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:07 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
$350 for one session? WTH? What part of the country are you in?
. . .
Actually, he's not in the US. He is somewhere in the southern hemisphere - my guess would be either Aus, or SA, as it is very hot where he is right now. Does CPDT have international branches? Do other countries have similar organizations? Might be useful to know, as a certified trainer is a good idea - at least that would provide a standard to go by.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Actually, he's not in the US. He is somewhere in the southern hemisphere - my guess would be either Aus, or SA, as it is very hot where he is right now. Does CPDT have international branches? Do other countries have similar organizations? Might be useful to know, as a certified trainer is a good idea - at least that would provide a standard to go by.
Yes, CCPDT is an international certification; there are CPDT-KA (and -KSA) trainers all over the world. If there isn't a certified trainer in his area I would need to know what country he is in to be able to research whether there is another comparable certifying agency specific to his area.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:21 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I've experienced the company of many dogs in my life (both mine and belonging to others) and I greatly prefer dogs (and cats) that are spayed and neutered. And should one of them get loose, at least there is no chance of procreation.

And for those pets that aren't spayed or neutered, I don't think that it's fair to allow them to desire to procreate, but not allow them too. I think that Legion should be neutered. It will only improve his ability to be a potentially good service dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs