Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Puppy Mills

I want to know why, when so much information is on the internet, regarding puppy mills, how much they make, the deplorable way they treat their dogs, and how they sell their puppies to pet stores, why and how are they allowed to stay open?
Why aren't the rescues hounding our leaders to shut them down for good?

I'm sick to death of watching videos of how abused these dogs are, 4 - 6 in one cage, cages on top of each other, left to live outside, when all over the news, the media was urging people to bring their dogs in out of the cold? What hypocrites. Why doesn't the media cover stories about the Amish Puppy Mills?

And to boot, the rescues...they are making money, if they were not, they couldn't keep building new kennels. They're getting all kinds of donations...to them, it's a job...and yes, thank God for them, but wait a moment...they constantly tell you to not purchase dogs from a pet store, due to bad breeding, disease, and health problems of these dogs, and yet, they are selling them?

I saw a black tie gathering organized by a rescue, black tie and gowns? Whose paying for that?

I see SPCA advertise on TV, for donations, and showing those pathetic pictures of poor dogs scared to death and shaking....

Why in the world are these Puppy mills still open, especially in this day and age....? Why aren't these rescues lobbying for these places to be shut down once and for all.

I challenge ya'll to google Puppy mills and educate yourselves, and you think it stops with dogs....they are stealing horses all over this country and selling them for dog food.

where does it stop? I would like our country to start publishing the names of these people, shutting them down and putting them in jail where they belong....wipe out puppy mills with laws and arrests....it's high time.

what is your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Just google AKC and puppy mills and you will learn so much about the issues.

Some progress has been made in a few states but the mills are big business in some states and they generate revenue.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Just google AKC and puppy mills and you will learn so much about the issues.

Some progress has been made in a few states but the mills are big business in some states and they generate revenue.
I know about the issues, I'm just wondering why in God's name in this day and age, is this still happening, there is big big money being made, somewhere by these rescues....why are they not lobbying to shut these puppy mills down? Why aren't people hounding our senate, our capitals, our law enforcement, this is pathetic and inhumane.

They are all preying on these poor dogs for money....

all of them.....

like I said, a black tie, and gown dance from a rescue group. Who the hell do they think they are?
And they're holding up a dog with one eye in the picture, while dressed in a tux and long gown? Are these people sick? Where did the money come from to have that one?

Old 01-12-2018, 10:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I know about the issues, I'm just wondering why in God's name in this day and age, is this still happening, there is big big money being made, somewhere by these rescues....why are they not lobbying to shut these puppy mills down? Why aren't people hounding our senate, our capitals, our law enforcement, this is pathetic and inhumane.

They are all preying on these poor dogs for money....

all of them.....
There are laws against keeping dogs in inhumane conditions. These places do get raided and shut down. How is it different than any other criminal activity? It happens.

The other problem is that its tricky to regulate outside of making laws about conditions that the animals are kept in.

Quote:
like I said, a black tie, and gown dance from a rescue group. Who the hell do they think they are?
And they're holding up a dog with one eye in the picture, while dressed in a tux and long gown? Are these people sick? Where did the money come from to have that one?
Its a fundraiser. If you have a cost of $30 a person, and sell tickets at $100 a person for the event, then you make $70 a head. Holding a rubber chicken banquet of one kind or another is an extremely common means of fundraising for non-profits or political purposes. Everything from Ducks Unlimited to the Junior League to political campaigns to Anti-Hunger organizations to foundations for special needs children do this. Its a way to get people out, spending money, and contributing.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
I want to know why, when so much information is on the internet, regarding puppy mills, how much they make, the deplorable way they treat their dogs, and how they sell their puppies to pet stores, why and how are they allowed to stay open?

Why aren't the rescues hounding our leaders to shut them down for good?

Why doesn't the media cover stories about the Amish Puppy Mills?

And to boot, the rescues...they are making money, if they were not, they couldn't keep building new kennels. They're getting all kinds of donations...to them, it's a job...and yes, thank God for them, but wait a moment...they constantly tell you to not purchase dogs from a pet store, due to bad breeding, disease, and health problems of these dogs, and yet, they are selling them?

where does it stop? I would like our country to start publishing the names of these people, shutting them down and putting them in jail where they belong....wipe out puppy mills with laws and arrests....it's high time.

what is your take?
California has banned the sale of dogs (other than from rescue/shelter situations) in stores. Another locality just passed a similar law- sorry, I don't recall off-hand where this was.

The media has covered puppy mills extensively. Unfortunately there is a market for these puppies. The fault lies with short-sighted or uninformed people who truly don't care where their puppy came from. Until the public collectively 1) refuses to purchase puppies from disreputable sources, and; 2) contact their state and local representatives to ask for legislation banning puppy mills, nothing of note will ever be done. For instance, my ex-boss (middle-management at a huge conglomerate) knowingly bought 2 puppies from a puppy miller. She didn't care where they came from- they were just sooooo cute and adorable and had little pink and blue ribbons in their hair. She didn't give a rat's behind that she paid more for her mixed breed puppy mill puppies than she would have for a well-bred dog.

Please don't conflate rescues with puppy mills. Reputable rescues want nothing to do with puppy mills.

Puppy mills thrive in agricultural states where they are considered just another form of livestock. It isn't just the Amish although they are some of the worst offenders.

Add to that- in most states with puppy mills the ag inspectors are seriously understaffed; they carry a horrific caseload that barely allows them to do more than glance at these puppy mill facilities. This is a state funding and priority issue.

The names of puppy mills, their owners, and the various citations they received are already a matter of public record. They are making money hand over fist- they have no morals and no sense of shame. There are numerous websites that provide all this information. The puppy millers simply do not care.

This is a state issue. Until you can convince people to demand that their state representatives enact legislation banning puppy mills, or at least enact harsher penalties, and provide adequate funding for inspections, you are whistling in the wind.

Also- most puppy mills are in rural areas of agricultural states. These are areas that have representation that supports agriculture and other issues important to farm communities. These representatives are going to fight tooth and nail for their constituents, even the puppy millers who are practicing a form of agriculture. It is going to be extremely difficult to get these areas to recognize and condemn the horrors of puppy mills.

Last but not least- the AKC needs to step up and take responsibility for the AKC registrations they are handing out right and left to puppy mill puppies. On the one hand I realize they are a licensing agency with no power over the puppy mills, but it is disingenuous for the AKC to on the one hand to ostensibly promote the health and welfare of dogs, but then on the other hand knowingly hand out mass registrations to puppy mills. On more than one occasion the AKC has lobbied against legislation that would have put stricter regulations in place for puppy mills.

There are numerous brilliant passionate lobbyists working on behalf of animal welfare organizations to rid the world of puppy mills, but despite their best efforts they are largely beating their heads against a brick wall for numerous reasons, but largely because puppy mills simply aren't an issue for state legislatures. Nothing is going to change until we the people get angry enough that we hold our lawmakers accountable. But even then, it is going to be very difficult to get the representatives in the rural counties where the puppy mills are located onboard with legislation that will affect constituents with whom they often have a close relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
There are laws against keeping dogs in inhumane conditions. These places do get raided and shut down. How is it different than any other criminal activity? It happens.
Very few puppy mills ever get shut down, at least in my state. More often they are cited, fined, and go on about their business. If they do get shut down they just open up somewhere else in the state under another name.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
A lot of this was previously discussed in the 2016 thread you started in Pets: Question about Dog Rescues. Not much has changed since then (as Twelvepaws' post indicates). It's a giant game of Whack-a-Mole.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
A lot of this was previously discussed in the 2016 thread you started in Pets: Question about Dog Rescues. Not much has changed since then (as Twelvepaws' post indicates). It's a giant game of Whack-a-Mole.
yes, I know, but nothing has changed in two years...I cannot understand, how people can just allow this to keep on going, all these protests for abortion and against this or that, why not start protesting for a cause that needs help, to bring awareness.
And quite frankly I'm no longer sold on rescues, it to has become a business.
Most people today have FB accounts, and I cannot believe people no longer understand this or are not aware of this....they just don't want to be.
Again, rescues beg people not to buy from puppy mills, and yet, that is where they're dogs come from not in all cases but a lot of them do.

and quite frankly I don't care how many times I've posted about this....someone has to speak up.
so pleaase don't give me your smug, this has all been discussed in another thread I started on this...what did that accomplish for you?

Old 01-13-2018, 04:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
yes, I know, but nothing has changed in two years...I cannot understand, how people can just allow this to keep on going, all these protests for abortion and against this or that, why not start protesting for a cause that needs help, to bring awareness.
And quite frankly I'm no longer sold on rescues, it to has become a business.
Most people today have FB accounts, and I cannot believe people no longer understand this or are not aware of this....they just don't want to be.
Again, rescues beg people not to buy from puppy mills, and yet, that is where they're dogs come from not in all cases but a lot of them do.

and quite frankly I don't care how many times I've posted about this....someone has to speak up.
so pleaase don't give me your smug, this has all been discussed in another thread I started on this...what did that accomplish for you?
Animal rescue is like any other charitable endeavor: there are good ones, and there are some that aren't so good. One reason for the adoption cost is that the money goes to pay for food, vet care (in some cases, very expensive vet care), and often, the cost of transporting the rescued animal to its new home. Some may indeed be making a profit as well. Do your research, but don't condemn them all - many spend hours and hours saving animals for no compensation whatsoever.

As for rescue dogs coming from puppy mills, that can happen, but what is the rescuer supposed to do in those instances? If they get the dog out, I suppose you could say they are supporting the mill, but if they don't, it doesn't help the dog. Is that a choice you could easily make?

I don't really think anyone is trying to be smug with you, they're just pointing out information that has been shared before. And what, by painting all rescues as somehow complicit with puppy mills, are YOU hoping to accomplish? I know people who work in animal rescue, and every last one of them would love to find themselves in need of another way to spend their time.

I agree with you about one thing. Puppy mills will only cease to exist when good legislation makes it unprofitable for people to run them. A bit of public education wouldn't hurt, either, so people know that the best dog for them may not be the last one they saw in a movie or on TV. The worst damn thing that can happen to a dog breed is for it to become too "trendy."

Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

I agree with you about one thing. Puppy mills will only cease to exist when good legislation makes it unprofitable for people to run them. A bit of public education wouldn't hurt, either, so people know that the best dog for them may not be the last one they saw in a movie or on TV. The worst damn thing that can happen to a dog breed is for it to become too "trendy."
Legislation means nothing if there is no enforcement. Its against the law to run a puppy mill in Pennsylvania. However, when you have only two agents for the entire state, and when it takes weeks to fill out the paperwork for each suspected circumstance and court dates etc, then you have a situation where the law means nothing.

Just because there is a law means nothing. How many people have you seen drive right through stop signs and on to a road. There’s a law against that, you know.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Catgirl64 Animal rescue is like any other charitable endeavor: there are good ones, and there are some that aren't so good. One reason for the adoption cost is that the money goes to pay for food, vet care (in some cases, very expensive vet care), and often, the cost of transporting the rescued animal to its new home. Some may indeed be making a profit as well. Do your research, but don't condemn them all - many spend hours and hours saving animals for no compensation whatsoever.
this I totally understand
Quote:
As for rescue dogs coming from puppy mills, that can happen, but what is the rescuer supposed to do in those instances? If they get the dog out, I suppose you could say they are supporting the mill, but if they don't, it doesn't help the dog. Is that a choice you could easily make?
I don't care how you cut it, the rescuer is making money on these dogs just the same way. Only they are kinder....but they are most certainly making money from selling the dogs and from donations....it's how they should be chosing to use those donations....with that money they should be lobbying Washington, however, they are not...they are in fact creating a business for themselves.

Quote:
I don't really think anyone is trying to be smug with you, they're just pointing out information that has been shared before. And what, by painting all rescues as somehow complicit with puppy mills, are YOU hoping to accomplish? I know people who work in animal rescue, and every last one of them would love to find themselves in need of another way to spend their time.
yes, and that was two years ago, and I will continue to post this question 50 times every year until someone gets it and starts lobbying our leaders to change this and enforce the laws that are already on the books. Yanno, liberals are so for liberal laws, and this is what happens. everyone has a motive or agenda....

Quote:
I watch a rescuer who has been rescuing dogs from puppy mills now for years, and they just build a whole new facility....how do they get into these mills and get these dogs

I don't believe many people understand, what is really going on out there....

it's a business all the way around, or it would soon be advertised more...you shut the puppy mills down, you shut the rescuers down. Period. And they don't want that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs