Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,001,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just get so tired of human beings being cruel to animals....and the animals are made to suffer...along with a lot of kids in our country it's very un nerving and upsetting.
That’s understandable. Seeing the true amount of evil and pain in the world is always upsetting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:54 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
In my area, the Amish are responsible for many of the worst puppy mills.

And yes, as others have mentioned, the AKC approves some of the worst puppy mills. Remember, the AKC is NOT a humane organization. They are a club for people interested in specific breeds of dogs, dog shows, and promoting the dog industry. It is blatantly obvious that money is changing hands. That keeps some of the worst mills in operations from prosecution.

The AKC should not be involved with the inspection or certification of breeding facilities. Period. They have a profit motive.
This is not their job.

I am not inferring that all AKC members are indifferent towards dogs. However, some are. The AKC exists to enforce standards of breed aesthetics, not to monitor the welfare of dogs.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:06 PM

64 posts, read 55,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

The AKC should not be involved with the inspection or certification of breeding facilities. Period. They have a profit motive.
I totally disagree.
For starters, could you explain how you believe AKC stands to financially benefit from puppy mills? Litter registrations? Pedigree reissues? Show fees from local clubs? How likely are puppy mill dogs to ever attend more than one show?

Second, any additional oversight is beneficial in this case, be it AKC, UKC, FDA, RKF, FSB - whatever. One organisation I would never consider putting in charge of overseeing breeding programs - any breeding programs - is PETA or some other humane organization.

Last edited by NoodlePoodle; 01-13-2018 at 11:18 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 AM

28,948 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
^^^ This. Nothing will change until people change their minds about this. I volunteer at the intake department at a shelter and we are absolutely not bringing in puppoes from puppy mills for profit. Of course we definitely see them that someone has purchased and had for several months and turn over to us because they can't afford the veterinary care or some other reason. But we do not get them directly from puppy mills. We are very opposed to puppy mills, both instittuionally and personnaly with respect o everyone I know well enough, and I suspect every one. We do not make money on the animals we place, or at least on the vat majority. The highest adoption fee we have is for a puppy 4 months or younger. We charge $195, and for that the puppy has been altered, microchipped and received their bordatella, distemper and rabies vaccines. And in some cases much more. And most adoption fees are less. Trust me, you will be hard pressed to get all of that from a vet's office for $195. These fees simply help keep us open to work toward our mission to help animals.

As others have said, one ressue is one rescue. Are there some organizationas out there calling themselves rescues that are really distribution centers for puppy mills? It would be naive to deny it, and I don't. But I thin they are a small number among the real rescues.

Also, you ask who "pays for" the balck tie galas? Those are usually the larges fund raisers of the year for rescues. The attendees pay a niceticket price and there are generally auctions and other ways the charity makes money. It isn't a boondoggle. It is a significant peice of a charity's fundraising strategy. In addition to raising money directly, the idea also is to hopefully get the attention of folks that have discretionary income to donate more down the line. Because, as noted above, your adoption fees don't actually cover your costs.

Non-profits are required to provide annual reports showing where their revenies come from and go, and organizations such as Charity Navigator and others will help in research to those rescues that are genuine and those that are not.

I applaud your stand against puppy mills and completely agree. in my intake department we see some deplorable results and when you see it first hand it's even worse. But please don't assume rescues generally (apart from some possible outliers) are the problem. Most are there to help animals and would love to put puppy mills out of business.
I'm sorry but human beings are deplorable....the black tie events you mentioned is for rich people who get all dressed up as if they are someone, and pay to go....it's pathetic and then they "think" and believe they've done they're part.

I'm upset b/c people do not get this vicious circle.....I mean I'm so happy they do donate, but they should be writing their leaders to put in effect laws that rid this country of puppy mills.

And, so many people as you say are adopting dogs and do not realize the dedication and responsibility behind raising a dog. They are like a child and need care, especially puppies. They have no experience on how to raise a puppy and do not do they're part in housebreaking them, plus the vet bills are pathetically high....vets should stop...it almost costs as much for a vet today as it does a doctor,who can afford that?

Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That’s understandable. Seeing the true amount of evil and pain in the world is always upsetting.
yes it is, so totally upsetting that human beings can treat poor dogs and puppies like this, and the sad part is, we need to stop this....yanno, it's all about quick fixes instead of going to the root of the problem. No you can't cure it all, but rescues are not the answer, stopping the puppy mills are plus putting people in jail for hurting a dog or cat they way they do.

Plus what people don't understand, is, if a person is abusing a dog like that, they are also abusing their children, spouse, etc.

anyway, thank you for letting me vent...just can't stand to see these loving trusting critters abused the way they are.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlePoodle View Post
I totally disagree.
For starters, could you explain how you believe AKC stands to financially benefit from puppy mills? Litter registrations? Pedigree reissues? Show fees from local clubs? How likely are puppy mill dogs to ever attend more than one show?

Second, any additional oversight is beneficial in this case, be it AKC, UKC, FDA, RKF, FSB - whatever. One organisation I would never consider putting in charge of overseeing breeding programs - any breeding programs - is PETA or some other humane organization.
The vast majority of the money that the AKC takes in is from the registration fees people pay to register either a single dog or an entire litter of puppies. Millers can and do register the "purebred" litters that they breed and there is absolutely no oversight of the breeding lines, no testing for genetic problems, etc. Dog shows do charge entry fees but the do not begin to even cover the cost of putting on those shows.

So many mill dogs are now sold on line to people who do not realize who they are buying from. The websites of those unscrupulous millers do not show the actual conditions that the puppies are born into. The pictures are quite simply very misleading if not down right false advertising.

How do we educate those who do not know what they are really buying into? I'd love to see both the AKC and the HSUS run spots during the Super Bowl ads that tell the truth about mills but that will never happen.

In my area it took the 2007 bust of "Junior" Horton and his huge mill of over 1,100 animals to get the public so outraged that they were able to get state laws changed. Changing the laws is only a first step. There must be enforcement of those laws and that is where the biggest problem is. It takes money to have inspectors to actually check on commercial breeding operators and then to issue citations or even start criminal proceedings against the offenders. Neither the federal or the state legislators are willing to appropriate the funds it would take to really crack down on millers. In a time when most politicians are advocating and voting for tax cuts for those who least need them there is no money to budget toward such issues as regulating puppy mills.

Jr.Horton simply moved from Hillsville, VA to Millersburg, OH, about 350 miles and opened up in a state with far less regulation.

So I'll ask everyone who reads this thread to check the rules and regs in your state and let your reps know that they need to do more to put an end to large scale mills by making them unprofitable. Encourage family and friends in other states to do the same. Educate folks you know about the evils of mills, that buying a "purebred, AKC registered" pup is no guarantee of health or soundness and tell them about the alternatives to buying from such sources.

Check out the website Prisoners of Greed to learn more about the issue.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but human beings are deplorable....the black tie events you mentioned is for rich people who get all dressed up as if they are someone, and pay to go....it's pathetic and then they "think" and believe they've done they're part.
Why do you have a stick up your butt about this? There’s nothing pathetic about wealthy people donating large sums of money to a charity, and you have no idea what else they may or may not be doing when they’re not attending charity dinners. (Besides, I suspect few dog rescues are either large enough or well-organized enough to hold charity dinners. Those are generally the province of much larger charities.)

Old 01-15-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why do you have a stick up your butt about this? There’s nothing pathetic about wealthy people donating large sums of money to a charity, and you have no idea what else they may or may not be doing when they’re not attending charity dinners. (Besides, I suspect few dog rescues are either large enough or well-organized enough to hold charity dinners. Those are generally the province of much larger charities.)
Of course there is nothing wrong with rich people donating, what is wrong with this is, while dogs are suffering these people have the money to change things, but they don't, they go to these balls and charity dinners and feel they've done their part.

That is what I have a problem with...why don't they use their money to hound their leaders to shut these places down...why get all dressed up, go to a black tie galla, and then do nothing else?

That is what I have a problem with? It's not their money, it's the way they use it.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The vast majority of the money that the AKC takes in is from the registration fees people pay to register either a single dog or an entire litter of puppies. Millers can and do register the "purebred" litters that they breed and there is absolutely no oversight of the breeding lines, no testing for genetic problems, etc. Dog shows do charge entry fees but the do not begin to even cover the cost of putting on those shows.

So many mill dogs are now sold on line to people who do not realize who they are buying from. The websites of those unscrupulous millers do not show the actual conditions that the puppies are born into. The pictures are quite simply very misleading if not down right false advertising.

How do we educate those who do not know what they are really buying into? I'd love to see both the AKC and the HSUS run spots during the Super Bowl ads that tell the truth about mills but that will never happen.

In my area it took the 2007 bust of "Junior" Horton and his huge mill of over 1,100 animals to get the public so outraged that they were able to get state laws changed. Changing the laws is only a first step. There must be enforcement of those laws and that is where the biggest problem is. It takes money to have inspectors to actually check on commercial breeding operators and then to issue citations or even start criminal proceedings against the offenders. Neither the federal or the state legislators are willing to appropriate the funds it would take to really crack down on millers. In a time when most politicians are advocating and voting for tax cuts for those who least need them there is no money to budget toward such issues as regulating puppy mills.

Jr.Horton simply moved from Hillsville, VA to Millersburg, OH, about 350 miles and opened up in a state with far less regulation.

So I'll ask everyone who reads this thread to check the rules and regs in your state and let your reps know that they need to do more to put an end to large scale mills by making them unprofitable. Encourage family and friends in other states to do the same. Educate folks you know about the evils of mills, that buying a "purebred, AKC registered" pup is no guarantee of health or soundness and tell them about the alternatives to buying from such sources.

Check out the website Prisoners of Greed to learn more about the issue.
outstanding post, thank you.

what about all the dogs who are presenting outside with their puppies, in this cold weather, what about the dogs who are no good for breeding any longer so the puppy mills take them out back and shoot them? What about the dogs who are sick? They get no medical attention what so ever.
Yes, the rescues are taking some of them, but it's high time these places get closed down, for good.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,168 times
Quote:

That is what I have a problem with? It's not their money, it's the way they use it.
No offense, but its really easy to complain about somebody else’s lifestyle when you don’t share that life style or have to contend with how they have to do things.

People do that so very often on-line. They have no idea what they are talking about because they are complaining about someone else or some group else without having any idea of the issues they have to deal with to solve their own problems. The same people that you want them to harass are the same people that they need to be in bed with to solve other issues in their communities.

I’ve said before---Two of the states I know intimately have laws against puppy mills. But they have not written in money in their state budget to enforce them. So with all the things we have to operate and manage for humans, there is little likelihood that governments are going to spend gobs of money on enforcement agencies for dogs, law or not.

Its just dreaming. And if we recognize the dream that OK. But when we still don’t have rights for minority humans, and we have a racist guy at the top saying things that show rights for people are not WHITE in skin color are even considered important, how could we possibly expect that rights for dogs are going to be put into the process. Not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs